Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement Bellows question 2016 T6

MrMouseinaHouse

MrMouseinaHouse

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello.

First time cali owner here, although long time T25 Holdsworth Villa owner some moons ago. I've just bought a 2016 California Ocean. Unfortunately I need to replace the bellows due to a rip in the fabric near the seam at the lower offside front corner. Looks too big for a repair and I'd much rather not have to worry about any possible repair coming unstuck. There seems to be some extensive knowledge out there on the forums, and some wonderful community spirit. I'm hoping someone can help with some answers. Calling VW commercial companies for quotes is turning out to be more difficult than I thought it would.

I'm aware that as of the end of last year VW introduced new bellows with an improved double skinned canvas. First question. Will these new bellows fit a 2016 T6 Cali Ocean? Or are they for 6.1 only?

Does anyone know if the new bellows have a different part number to the older material bellows? I've been told the part number is 7E7 875 059 K UV8. Does this sound right to someone in the know? Is is possible to tell new version bellows from old version bellows from part number alone?

And finally, can anyone recommend a garage or VW commercial van centre to supply and fit bellows, please? My local centre in Essex gave me a number for a third party coach fitters I was told they use and who could help me. When I called them, they told me they didn't know why VW gave me their number and that I'd need to take the Cali in for them to look at it in order to give a quote, despite me saying I simply wanted a new one replaced. It didn't inspire any confidence so I don't think I'll be using them. They weren't exactly local, either.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Hello.

First time cali owner here, although long time T25 Holdsworth Villa owner some moons ago. I've just bought a 2016 California Ocean. Unfortunately I need to replace the bellows due to a rip in the fabric near the seam at the lower offside front corner. Looks too big for a repair and I'd much rather not have to worry about any possible repair coming unstuck. There seems to be some extensive knowledge out there on the forums, and some wonderful community spirit. I'm hoping someone can help with some answers. Calling VW commercial companies for quotes is turning out to be more difficult than I thought it would.

I'm aware that as of the end of last year VW introduced new bellows with an improved double skinned canvas. First question. Will these new bellows fit a 2016 T6 Cali Ocean? Or are they for 6.1 only?

Does anyone know if the new bellows have a different part number to the older material bellows? I've been told the part number is 7E7 875 059 K UV8. Does this sound right to someone in the know? Is is possible to tell new version bellows from old version bellows from part number alone?

And finally, can anyone recommend a garage or VW commercial van centre to supply and fit bellows, please? My local centre in Essex gave me a number for a third party coach fitters I was told they use and who could help me. When I called them, they told me they didn't know why VW gave me their number and that I'd need to take the Cali in for them to look at it in order to give a quote, despite me saying I simply wanted a new one replaced. It didn't inspire any confidence so I don't think I'll be using them. They weren't exactly local, either.

Any leads on canvas bellows replacement?

I'm looking to do the same for my 2009 T5 Cali and would love the new 2023 double layer part. I've seen Kernow Transporters in Cornwall come highly recommended for this task in another thread.

Hello.

Any leads on canvas bellows replacement?

I'm looking to do the same for my 2009 T5 Cali and would love the new 2023 double layer part. I've seen Kernow Transporters in Cornwall come highly recommended for this task in another thread.
Click on link below. Select Year of vehicle. Select Body section.

Scroll down to select Roof Bellows section. Part 10. VW Part numbers below drawing.

Kernow Campers are very good unfortunately it’s a long way to go but they did my sisters T5 bellows in a day

I've only just noticed these replies. Thanks for taking the time to write.

An update on mine. It took a while to find somewhere that was willing to do the work, but I ended up taking my California to Southern Motor Group in Tonbridge and I was very happy with their work. I must have contacted at least 25 companies. Seemed a lot of VW commercial dealers didn't want to know about bellows. I live in Essex so called Group 1 in Chelmsford, and they gave me a phone number of a coach builders to call. Someone they outsource work to, apparently. However, when I called them, the guy I spoke to said he had no idea why I was referred to them, as they didn't do any work for Group 1. Another VW approved commercial dealer provided me with a quote, but suggested I go elsewhere because their fitters had said they'd only installed bellows once, and didn't want to do it again. Although I was grateful for their honesty.

I was adamant that I wanted the new improved double skinned version, and explained this when I was getting quotes. When I dropped the vehicle off I asked to look at the part, and it turned out to be the old single skinned type. I'm glad that I did. However, Matt at SMG checked the part number for the new type as they had a new California they had in the showroom. A couple of days later the correct bellows arrived (they emailed me a photo for me to check prior to installing), and as far as I can tell they did a good job of the install. All in all, a thumbs up for SMG from me.

Although I do recall it took a while initially to get an email reply from them. I originally thought that they didn't want the work, so maybe keep this in mind if you contact them. I had one quote from Citygate commercial for about the same price. And another quote from somewhere (can't recall who it was now, but they were recommended on another forum post on this site somewhere), who wanted £1800.

So if you haven't already, give SMG Tonbridge a call.

I’m pleased to hear that you managed to get the new double skinned bellows fitted and assume these also allow you to unzip the entire front panel? Do you have any photos of the finished job?
Could you confirm the part number of the double skinned bellows as this would be helpful.

Kind regards.

I've only just noticed these replies. Thanks for taking the time to write.

An update on mine. It took a while to find somewhere that was willing to do the work, but I ended up taking my California to Southern Motor Group in Tonbridge and I was very happy with their work. I must have contacted at least 25 companies. Seemed a lot of VW commercial dealers didn't want to know about bellows. I live in Essex so called Group 1 in Chelmsford, and they gave me a phone number of a coach builders to call. Someone they outsource work to, apparently. However, when I called them, the guy I spoke to said he had no idea why I was referred to them, as they didn't do any work for Group 1. Another VW approved commercial dealer provided me with a quote, but suggested I go elsewhere because their fitters had said they'd only installed bellows once, and didn't want to do it again. Although I was grateful for their honesty.

I was adamant that I wanted the new improved double skinned version, and explained this when I was getting quotes. When I dropped the vehicle off I asked to look at the part, and it turned out to be the old single skinned type. I'm glad that I did. However, Matt at SMG checked the part number for the new type as they had a new California they had in the showroom. A couple of days later the correct bellows arrived (they emailed me a photo for me to check prior to installing), and as far as I can tell they did a good job of the install. All in all, a thumbs up for SMG from me.

Although I do recall it took a while initially to get an email reply from them. I originally thought that they didn't want the work, so maybe keep this in mind if you contact them. I had one quote from Citygate commercial for about the same price. And another quote from somewhere (can't recall who it was now, but they were recommended on another forum post on this site somewhere), who wanted £1800.

So if you haven't already, give SMG Tonbridge a call.

@MrMouseinaHouse If you read this - could you please let me know the part number of the new material bellows you ordered (and the colour) - I want to make sure I get the same but in Charcoal Grey with light interior.

Also what was the total install cost with the new bellows - just so I can get an idea?

I am planning on doing it myself but I might just get SMG Tonbridge to do it if they've done yours successfully and it's not ridiculous price.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
If you read this - could you please let me know the part number of the new material bellows you ordered (and the colour) - I want to make sure I get the same but in Charcoal Grey with light interior.

Also what was the total install cost with the new bellows - just so I can get an idea?

I am planning on doing it myself but I might just get SMG Tonbridge to do it if they've done yours successfully and it's not ridiculous price.

Thanks in advance
Use the @MrMouseinaHouse to alert the OP to your question

Use the @MrMouseinaHouse to alert the OP to your question
Thanks - I've just read that whole thread about the new double skinned bellows leaking - so I'm now hesitant...

To be honest when I camp and there is a likelyhood of rain I always put our roof cover over the pop top - so not sure how much it will actually affect me.

mmmm...

Last edited:
@MrMouseinaHouse If you read this - could you please let me know the part number of the new material bellows you ordered (and the colour) - I want to make sure I get the same but in Charcoal Grey with light interior.

Thanks in advance
@MrMouseinaHouse Ok - you can ignore this - I phoned SMG Tonbridge and got quoted:

7LA8750597MH - (Charcoal and Cream - Dual material - zip down front for electric roofs)

Price to fit from SMG Tonbridge is:

£763.20 inc vat for bellows
£480 inc vat labour roughly... (3 - 4 hours)

Last edited:
Hi Mr B. I login on here infrequently, hence the lack of replies. Although I never asked for the part number, so wouldn't have been able to provide it. But I'm glad to read you got your bellows sorted. I'll be off camping for two weeks next Saturday, so finally get a chance to actually sleep in the vehicle.
All the best.

@MrMouseinaHouse Ok - you can ignore this - I phoned SMG Tonbridge and got quoted:

7LA8750597MH - (Charcoal and Cream - Dual material - zip down front for electric roofs)

Price to fit from SMG Tonbridge is:

£763.20 inc vat for bellows
£480 inc vat labour roughly... (3 - 4 hours)
How did they turn out?

I thought better of it in the end. Those new ones are obviously inherently faulty after seeing the multitude of posts.

I nearly ordered the old style scenic ones (canvas) but I decided I'm going to wait and see if VW release a 'fixed' version of the new ones.

I've got all the stuff though to do the actual job including the wedges for inserting the canvas and the Silkaflex and PDF instructions in English.

It doesn't look too hard to do, just time consuming.

Maybe next year!

I thought better of it in the end. Those new ones are obviously inherently faulty after seeing the multitude of posts.

I nearly ordered the old style scenic ones (canvas) but I decided I'm going to wait and see if VW release a 'fixed' version of the new ones.

I've got all the stuff though to do the actual job including the wedges for inserting the canvas and the Silkaflex and PDF instructions in English.

It doesn't look too hard to do, just time consuming.

Maybe next year!
Can you post the PDF instructions here to help others please ?

will be highly relevant to many in the future

This is from this website

translated using Google translate and saved as a PDF.

Here

Back