Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement Internal Sliding Table

N

Nleggett

Hi

If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Got a '57 Cali since new. Its been well used and unfortunately the table has broken. The plastic part attached to the underside where the leg support slides has sheared. I managed to keep it going with a bit of glue but it broke completely on the last trip. Its all riveted components which is a pain and not easy to repair. Does anyone know where you can get a replacement. I've searched this forum and ebay but can only find complete internal kitchens. I'll try VW direct too. Thanks N

Wow just spoke to VW .. I need to go in to check they have the right thing .. but they are saying a replacement hinge (table to kitchen unit) is £70 and a replacement table is £358 ... really could do with an alternative solution here :) Thanks N

I would suggest a call to the Forum sponsor SMG, could be helpful. They know the California whereas most Dealerships just sell them along with the Vans.
If you want original then you might have to stump up VW prices, or keep checking eBay, but if the table and hinge are ok then a substitute removable leg would be the cheapest alternative.

Can you post some photos of the broken part? As I'm not sure which part you are referring to.

Thanks for the replies. Here's a pic of the damaged part of the table. I took it off this evening and glued a plastic strip over the hinge part to keep it in place for now with a load of tape too. Bit of a bodge job until I can get a permanent fix/replacement. Love the Chippysworkshop tables. Will check out other tips too. Considering I've had it 8 years with 2 kids from the age of 3 and 5 (now 11 and 13) who still love to go camping in it. Its lasted quite well. Thanks N
broken_hinge.JPG

Right I see. Maybe a piece of aluminium strip over the top of the rod in place of the plastic would do?

And you've still got the felt disk after 8 years!:bananadance

We have possibly got a couple of sliding tables coming in, I will update you when we have a price.

We have possibly got a couple of sliding tables coming in, I will update you when we have a price.
Hi, did you get these tables in? If so I might be interested in buying one as I have a similar problem. Do you have a price for these?

They come up surprisingly fairly frequently on eBay and other sites.

I picked up a spare door table and sliding table at CamperJam for the princely sum of £50 for both.

If you are in no hurry, keep an eye on the auction sites... Just be a little careful as the fastening mechanism changed in 2010/2011 model year.

Rgds
Mark

Hi, did you get these tables in? If so I might be interested in buying one as I have a similar problem. Do you have a price for these?
No sorry, we were let down. The ones on EBay are a good price so I would go for one of those but I would ask the seller the condition of it first.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi Nleggett,

Did you solve the problem?

My kitchen table leg hinge has a crack in so i'll need to fix soon.

Thanks in advance,

Thanks for the replies. Here's a pic of the damaged part of the table. I took it off this evening and glued a plastic strip over the hinge part to keep it in place for now with a load of tape too. Bit of a bodge job until I can get a permanent fix/replacement. Love the Chippysworkshop tables. Will check out other tips too. Considering I've had it 8 years with 2 kids from the age of 3 and 5 (now 11 and 13) who still love to go camping in it. Its lasted quite well. Thanks N
View attachment 8497

I'm struggling with table problems too. My main issue is that the black plastic clip that retains the leg when it's folded has broken, it's the bit that stops it from falling down when you raise the table. It's a tiny piece of plastic, but unfortunately it's riveted on and you can't get a replacement from VW. Anyone got any tips or managed to get hold of one? I can't be the only person this has happened to :)

it's the bit that stops it from falling down when you raise the table. It's a tiny piece of plastic,

I not sure if I am on the right part of the table but I will post this as it may help someone.(if not Martyn) On our 1st van the table leg bottom black bit feel off there is a tiny spring holding the clip into the metal bit of the table. I put the bits back together using a spring from a 50p pen (this repair lasted the life of the van with us) May be of help and worth making a note of this repair.

A bit late with a response to this, but thanks to the wonderful people at Kernow Campers I do have a replacement clip - it must cost all of 5p to manufacture, but is just not obtainable from VW without buying a new table. My next tasks are 1) to get the old broken clip off without damaging the table and 2) to rivet the new one in place without damaging the table. I will need to find the exact rivet length I think.

View attachment 8497
Concockted my own DIY effort which has now held strong for about 18 months - it doesnt look pretty, but does the job. I got a steel tube for the pin to go through, then I wrapped a galv. steel plate around, glued it & screwed it all together. Nobody will ever see it and I look at it as the lesser of two evils. If I buy a new table, I will just have the same problem again in 2-3 years time!
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Has anyone got a link to a diagram of the table-to-kitchen-unit sliding hinge?
That shows the components and things.

I think some of mine are missing (can't find them on the floor) and the table has detached from the hinge.

Welshgas is good on this sort of thing ;) I think.

TIA folks

Has anyone got a link to a diagram of the table-to-kitchen-unit sliding hinge?
That shows the components and things.

I think some of mine are missing (can't find them on the floor) and the table has detached from the hinge.

Welshgas is good on this sort of thing ;) I think.

TIA folks
Thanks for the diagrams WG.

1. One of the two black locators that was missing from the hinge has pitched up in the emergency lego box kept in the van for the 7 yr old grandson! So sorted.

2. The table is going to be less easy to fix.
The half dozen pop rivets that keep the table fixed to the hinge have pulled through.
Fortunately, the holes on the hinge have not been enlarged as a result nor the ones on the table.
It looks like the rivets have deformed under the pressure of the table not being supported properly when one of the black locators mentioned above unscrewed and fell onto the floor (then into the lego box).
I guess I take off the long hinge (easy), pop rivet the table back onto the hinge (mmm?) and replace the whole unit on the fridge/cupboard/sink bit (easy).

Huh