Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

replacement of original radio in 2015 cali

daisyduke

daisyduke

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
currently got factory original radio/cd player with aux and have bought a composition colour DAB + radio system which is new from a T6 ( so upgrade for me) blue tooth /phone etc with it.

I have started to make some calls locally about getting it fitted and scarily these so call professional radio installers are telling me slightly different things.......
is the voice/ speaker concealed in the unit or not? some say is, others say need additional mic put in...and something about a black box below the unit on the underside of dash in the middle?

i was thinking simply take off grey trim, undo screws, use tool to slide out ( need to buy the little metal gizzmo that does that) unhook all cables and reattach to new unit one by one, and then reverse to put back in? am i making it too simplistic....is it really more difficult than that- obviously need code to accept it in new vehicle.
any guidance appreciated- i've read loads of threads but nothing that is simple in and out replacement info ( practical advice) i know many would be going for all singing and dancing unit but having blue tooth and a touch screen will be for me....had a T4 for many years and that was basic! :)

as an aside does anyone know if speakers in T6 are better than T5.1 2015 or are they the same still. Quality of sound?????
:) thanks

currently got factory original radio/cd player with aux and have bought a composition colour DAB + radio system which is new from a T6 ( so upgrade for me) blue tooth /phone etc with it.

I have started to make some calls locally about getting it fitted and scarily these so call professional radio installers are telling me slightly different things.......
is the voice/ speaker concealed in the unit or not? some say is, others say need additional mic put in...and something about a black box below the unit on the underside of dash in the middle?

i was thinking simply take off grey trim, undo screws, use tool to slide out ( need to buy the little metal gizzmo that does that) unhook all cables and reattach to new unit one by one, and then reverse to put back in? am i making it too simplistic....is it really more difficult than that- obviously need code to accept it in new vehicle.
any guidance appreciated- i've read loads of threads but nothing that is simple in and out replacement info ( practical advice) i know many would be going for all singing and dancing unit but having blue tooth and a touch screen will be for me....had a T4 for many years and that was basic! :)

as an aside does anyone know if speakers in T6 are better than T5.1 2015 or are they the same still. Quality of sound?????
:) thanks
In the T5.1 the microphone is in the headliner above the driver. The T6 is probably the same.
The VW DAB aerials are in the wing mirrors as is the SatNav aerial as well.
It will not be a simple remove/replace job. I believe you will need access to a VW diagnodtic computer as well .

In the T5.1 the microphone is in the headliner above the driver. The T6 is probably the same.
The VW DAB aerials are in the wing mirrors as is the SatNav aerial as well.
It will not be a simple remove/replace job. I believe you will need access to a VW diagnodtic computer as well .
thank you
so even if the basic model didn't have blue tooth ,they still will have put a speaker in the headliner to be handsfree? if so thats rather smart of them :) i've recently seen my aerial as some twats ploughed into me and took it clean off on drivers side- was a blessing as other result would have been if he'd actually braked he'd would have hit me full on with muddy road conditions and speed he was going ....new wing mirror was lesser of evils and lucky escape. thanks for heads up about diagnostics :( damm it... ce la vie

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the the Discover system from the T6 is a bit difficult to fit into the T5. Different canbus system or something so it may prove more difficult than just using VCDS to set it up.
Hope you can get it sorted.
BTW. you don't need a special tool to get the radio out of the T5, just take the torx screws out and it slides out.

There should be a guide to removing the radio in the downloads

i read mixed feedback on that which resulted in it being ok but know i am taking a gamble....hey ho we will see. thanks for heads up on no tools required- save trying to find right things that won't exist ! :)

PoInt to watch. Do not turn the ignition on if you disconnect any of the switches on the facia panel. The Canbus throws a wobbly and needs resetting by a dealer or VCDS. Found that out the hard way. :talktothehand

PoInt to watch. Do not turn the ignition on if you disconnect any of the switches on the facia panel. The Canbus throws a wobbly and needs resetting by a dealer or VCDS. Found that out the hard way. :talktothehand
wow thats a biggie thank you very much- noted!!! :)

update for anyone who is thinking of doing the same as i have.....it doesn't work as the pin clip on the back of the unit fits but there aren't the right number of pins so the unit isn't getting any power. Thats the short version. gutted :(
after market units clearly the only way to go.......

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, you still have a few options.

What unit was in your Cali originally? You could either upgrade to the RNS510DAB which is original to the T5 or to something like the new Kenwood which is a direct fit and works with the display and steering wheel, parking sensors etc. http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vw/DNX516DABS/

Alternatively any double din stereo will fit but you'll lose the factory look.

update for anyone who is thinking of doing the same as i have.....it doesn't work as the pin clip on the back of the unit fits but there aren't the right number of pins so the unit isn't getting any power. Thats the short version. gutted :(
after market units clearly the only way to go.......

Can you move the pins around. With a bit of fiddling with them you should be able to move them to a different position in the plug.
On the RNS unit there is a diagram showing the pin positions.

Can you move the pins around. With a bit of fiddling with them you should be able to move them to a different position in the plug.
On the RNS unit there is a diagram showing the pin positions.
thanks but given up on this route now....going to try the expensive options or wait as don't need it, would be nice to have a new toy in the camper :) not essential but fun.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, you still have a few options.

What unit was in your Cali originally? You could either upgrade to the RNS510DAB which is original to the T5 or to something like the new Kenwood which is a direct fit and works with the display and steering wheel, parking sensors etc. http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vw/DNX516DABS/

Alternatively any double din stereo will fit but you'll lose the factory look.
thanks now exploring this route- flipping expensive so either gonna treat myself and Gracie ( camper van) or just make do for a while longer.....time to get shopping - thanks for pointing me in right direction :)

thanks now exploring this route- flipping expensive so either gonna treat myself and Gracie ( camper van) or just make do for a while longer.....time to get shopping - thanks for pointing me in right direction :)

I've got the new Kenwood unit installed and had the RNS510 before that so if you let me know exactly what features etc you need I'll be glad to answer any questions.

you might regret that!!! :) my wish list isn't too big really- hands free calls with built in microphone/ bluetooth as needed for handsfree anyway and can then stream music via blue tooth. Then the touch screen would be nice.
All the other apps etc already got on phone such as maps and have an iPhone 6plus so screen already large enough to use. Been looking at CarPlay which looks nice but my requirements aren't huge really and paying for something dont need although siri and text and voicemail being read to me nice feature but do not need it. Being able to still use CD and play DVD on screen might be nice as use iPad to watch TV when away so having DVD option would be a plus but not essential.

in short bluetooth/handsfree with built in mic.......easy really :) LOL

any recommends welcomed as it a minefield of tech and getting little overwhelmed with choices....think paying for lots don't want/need but nice toys .....love my music so as long as that happens rest is bonus.

just looked at you old one- that would be good if does the basics i'd like? have you still got it? consider selling if you have?

I'm researching similar at the moment.
One point worth considering is the option to hard wire connect your iPhone to the head unit via USB or similar.
This gives both charging and the ability to control your music on the iPhone via the multi-function steering wheel. A big step fwd from a basic Bluetooth interface.

you might regret that!!! :) my wish list isn't too big really- hands free calls with built in microphone/ bluetooth as needed for handsfree anyway and can then stream music via blue tooth. Then the touch screen would be nice.
All the other apps etc already got on phone such as maps and have an iPhone 6plus so screen already large enough to use. Been looking at CarPlay which looks nice but my requirements aren't huge really and paying for something dont need although siri and text and voicemail being read to me nice feature but do not need it. Being able to still use CD and play DVD on screen might be nice as use iPad to watch TV when away so having DVD option would be a plus but not essential.

in short bluetooth/handsfree with built in mic.......easy really :) LOL

any recommends welcomed as it a minefield of tech and getting little overwhelmed with choices....think paying for lots don't want/need but nice toys .....love my music so as long as that happens rest is bonus.

just looked at you old one- that would be good if does the basics i'd like? have you still got it? consider selling if you have?

Happy to offer some advice, i've done plenty of research already.

From your information I'd say there's no point skipping CarPlay, you already have the iPhone and even though you say you don't need the features, I can't see why you'd buy a unit without it as they are not much more expensive. The CarPlay iTunes integration is way beyond an 'iPod Ready' unit.

If you don't have parking sensors then you can pick up the Pioneer SPH-DA120 unit for just over ÂŁ300, it does Bluetooth calling with / without the iPhone plugged in and much more and comes with CarPlay, it's a great unit, I have it in my MK6 Golf, you can also plug a really cheap reverse camera into it (ÂŁ15) which will work great. The downside is the screen is fairly shiny and the angle of the dash in the Cali can cause problems with reflections. This will work with Steering Wheel controls should you have them.

http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/sph-da120

You'd need a fitting kit for around ÂŁ80 too.

If you have Parking Sensors and you want them displayed on your screen you'll need to buy a different unit, again I'd still go CarPlay, i've not used this Kenwood DDX8016DABS unit but it has CarPlay and the benefit of DAB Radio too. It can be brought for ÂŁ419. You'd likely need to spend around ÂŁ100 for the adaptors to fit and the unit to get your Parking Sensors displaying on the screen and Multifunction Steering Wheel.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/nav_mm/carplay-mm/DDX8016DABS/

If you want a factory fit look then the only option except retrofitting the VW RNS510 is the Kenwood DNX516DABS, this costs around ÂŁ950 but comes with everything you need, this will display Navigation in the dash and work with Climate Control, Parking Sensors and Multifunction steering wheel control out the box, it's made specifically for the VW T5 and is supported by VW Dealers

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vwc/DNX516DABS

Hope that helps, any questions feel free to ask away.

wow thanks for that............ i've looked at aftermarket copy cat type versions which have it all but for me messy with usb through glove box etc and not factory look ( not end of the world) given my recent not so great experience i'll end up with the last one on your suggestions i think...but wait till recovered from Xmas outlay first :) your links etc much appreciated :)

I'm struggling to convince myself the cheaper units are future proof for iPhone upgrades. I've not seen one that list iPhone 7.

I'm struggling to convince myself the cheaper units are future proof for iPhone upgrades. I've not seen one that list iPhone 7.
as long as usb will connect will still be OK and its then only software upgrades so sure would be OK but fingers burnt a little with first duff purchase. Just seen that DNX525DAB is same as DNX516DABS which was recommended on this thread... seem/appear same and price no different so newer model? Only thinking that as number sequence in name is higher therefore a newer version?

They work, I have the iPhone 7 Plus.

There is no difference between CarPlay in any of these units. CarPlay runs on the phone, the unit just displays what's running in the phone.

Just seen that DNX525DAB is same as DNX516DABS which was recommended on this thread... seem/appear same and price no different so newer model? Only thinking that as number sequence in name is higher therefore a newer version?

DNX525DAB is an much older unit, the DNX516DABS has only been out a month or so.

I spoke at length to a few experts before I brought my DNX516DABS, non of them would recommend the old 525 unit, It was slow and very poorly received. However the DNX516DABS was recommended to me, it might look the same shape but the internals, screen and software are all new.

There maybe better aftermarket non factory look units but at the moment it's the only factory for option that I know of with CarPlay.

It's not perfect, as I reviewed it somewhere else on here. There are some things that clearly haven't been thought through, for example the Parking Sensors do not display until you've clicked 'OK' on the unit, also they fail to show if you're using CarPlay, you have to manually switch the screen on.

The software interface is very flashy looking for my taste, I prefer Pioneer or Alpine and would have gone for one of these if it was an option but I wanted the factory look.

Not sure where you are but anyone interested can have a look at mine installed, also I think VW centres are getting them installed on a display, I know SMG have one.

DNX525DAB is an much older unit, the DNX516DABS has only been out a month or so.

I spoke at length to a few experts before I brought my DNX516DABS, non of them would recommend the old 525 unit, It was slow and very poorly received. However the DNX516DABS was recommended to me, it might look the same shape but the internals, screen and software are all new.

There maybe better aftermarket non factory look units but at the moment it's the only factory for option that I know of with CarPlay.

It's not perfect, as I reviewed it somewhere else on here. There are some things that clearly haven't been thought through, for example the Parking Sensors do not display until you've clicked 'OK' on the unit, also they fail to show if you're using CarPlay, you have to manually switch the screen on.

The software interface is very flashy looking for my taste, I prefer Pioneer or Alpine and would have gone for one of these if it was an option but I wanted the factory look.

Not sure where you are but anyone interested can have a look at mine installed, also I think VW centres are getting them installed on a display, I know SMG have one.
thank you for that.....i've put it all on a back burner for now- heading off on road trip and can't sort before that so will do before the next one hopefully. maybe waiting a while prices might come down......as you can tell optimistic vs deluded :) i think i will end up with factory look.......