Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement Safe Key

Haves1979

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, has anyone has any luck getting a replacement safe key? The previous owner of my van lost theirs, so I'm hoping to get a replacement. Unfortunately I dont fancy my chances as I dont have one to copy and I did read another thread where the owner had struggled so I may need to get the drill out...

Cheers

I managed to get one following the info below:

Hi, has anyone has any luck getting a replacement safe key? The previous owner of my van lost theirs, so I'm hoping to get a replacement. Unfortunately I dont fancy my chances as I dont have one to copy and I did read another thread where the owner had struggled so I may need to get the drill out...

Cheers
Is it Locked/Unlocked?
If unlocked then fairly simple to remove and if there is a number then see @Bryan2411 post above.
Drilling out would be interesting because of access, but a locksmith could probably pick it.
If I was in your situation I would consider using a hole cutter to cut the lock out and just use the hole to open the flap and forgoe the lock.

Is it Locked/Unlocked?
If unlocked then fairly simple to remove and if there is a number then see @Bryan2411 post above.
Drilling out would be interesting because of access, but a locksmith could probably pick it.
If I was in your situation I would consider using a hole cutter to cut the lock out and just use the hole to open the flap and forgoe the lock.
Thanks for the rescue, completely misread the post question

Hi, thanks for the link above and information. It's currently locked and the guy lost the keys (along with the heater fob..which is the next job) so for all I know it could be filled with pirate treasure.

It might try a locksmith, but I suppose if I can drill it out I can just get a replacement with keys.

It’s a very simple lock and very pickable - very similar to what’s on a desk pedestal drawer or similar. Try eBay for a locking picking kit, about a tenner, you’ll need a tensioner and something like a wave rake. Worth a try before forking out on a locksmith or risking damage with a drill. As @WelshGas says, once open the lock will be easy to replace.

Stick a screwdriver in the slot & force it open.
Any bets as to whether the heater remote is in the safe?

Hi, I have the safe open now, and have removed the lock.

As I do not have any keys to begin with, I am unable to get copies unfortunately. I've been trying to get a replacement lock with no luck, as the ones I've tried have either been very slightly too big or do not have the bend in the lever.

Hi, I have the safe open now, and have removed the lock.

As I do not have any keys to begin with, I am unable to get copies unfortunately. I've been trying to get a replacement lock with no luck, as the ones I've tried have either been very slightly too big or do not have the bend in the lever.
Isn‘t there a number on the face of the lock? That should be enough for a locksmith to identify the key.

If you take the lock to a locksmith with a key blank he should be able to make a key if he's any good ;)

Thanks both. I have asked a local locksmith if I bought a blank if he could help but apparently not, that said I could try others.

Totally agree, loads of people selling them, but there are loads of styles and I've not found anything yet that would be a direct fit. Was thinking I might be able to butcher one together as it's just held together with an E clip.

Search for cam lock similar to this ?
edit: before anyone posts that the lock in the photo below won’t fit etc, its an example

F82E7E7B-89D4-47D8-B37A-9D563F66FE43.png

Isn't this the Dirak Safe lock?

Back