Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement springs

marshian70

marshian70

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
OK looking at replacing the springs on our 2010 Cali to reduce roll in corners/roundabouts. I've looked back at some of the other threads and it seems that (without spending loads of cash) H&R have their nose ahead of Eibach/VW own.
Any further advice/recommendations appreciated, especially any recommended suppliers/installers reasonably close to the Norwich area
Many thanks

The springs will help a little with roll, but if you really want to tackle it, I suggest you go for the up-rated anti-roll bar at the rear. Mine is lowered, but the biggest difference was after I had the ARB fitted.

Standard is 22mm but they do a 28mm bad boy ... I paid £260 fitted by the dealer, but mine is still under warranty so needed to cover my arse ...

I've just fitted the OE VW items and I'm really pleased with the ride, roll is reduced but most noticeable is definitely how it doesn't clatter about in general use.
I purchased the springs only and a friend let me use his garage business on a Saturday morning, it took me 2 1/2 hours total.

The springs will help a little with roll, but if you really want to tackle it, I suggest you go for the up-rated anti-roll bar at the rear. Mine is lowered, but the biggest difference was after I had the ARB fitted.

Standard is 22mm but they do a 28mm bad boy ... I paid £260 fitted by the dealer, but mine is still under warranty so needed to cover my arse ...
Thanks, sounds like the ARB may be a better place to start?

We had the Vw springs fitted at our local dealer, they cured most of the roll in corners and improved stability on the motorway enormously.
The ride over potholes is marginally harsher but is a price worth paying to get rid of the bouncy castle ride we had to begin with.

Thanks, sounds like the ARB may be a better place to start?

Its the cheaper option to start with but I think you will end up still wanting to lower it ... visually it looks much better as well ... :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

2016-07-26 11.23.22.jpg

I went to two dealers and asked about retro fitting the heavy duty roll bar to my T6 and they both said it wasn't practical? Had the Cali lowered instead and I agree with Shaun it's made a big difference to the ride in general.

I went to two dealers and asked about retro fitting the heavy duty roll bar to my T6 and they both said it wasn't practical? Had the Cali lowered instead and I agree with Shaun it's made a big difference to the ride in general.
I have no idea why it was not practical, its a roll bar, very easy to replace on the T5, so I assume T6 is no different. Infact I thought it was an option when ordering the T6, it wasn't on the T5. How strange..

Both SMG Cowfold and Breeze Poole were happy to do mine (T5)

I've just fitted the OE VW items and I'm really pleased with the ride, roll is reduced but most noticeable is definitely how it doesn't clatter about in general use.
I purchased the springs only and a friend let me use his garage business on a Saturday morning, it took me 2 1/2 hours total.
should of said springs!

I have no idea why it was not practical, its a roll bar, very easy to replace on the T5, so I assume T6 is no different. Infact I thought it was an option when ordering the T6, it wasn't on the T5. How strange..

Both SMG Cowfold and Breeze Poole were happy to do mine (T5)
The heavy duty roll bar is an option on the T6 but they said that there is no kit to retro fit one so they would have to order every component individually which they both considered impractical. Didn't seem too tall an order to me but they were both adamant?

HD Anti-roll bar was no longer an option when we ordered our 204 in May after the MY17 configurator came online at the dealer. It might be because the 204 has the HD suspension and brakes and the HD roll bar is part of that?

I ordered last week in May, submitted to VW early June just before the official MY change 01 June. We were able to add the heavy duty roll bars.

It's on the order and I have a PDF copy of what went to VW which I'm told has been accepted onto their system.

OK looking at replacing the springs on our 2010 Cali to reduce roll in corners/roundabouts. I've looked back at some of the other threads and it seems that (without spending loads of cash) H&R have their nose ahead of Eibach/VW own.
Any further advice/recommendations appreciated, especially any recommended suppliers/installers reasonably close to the Norwich area
Many thanks
As yours is a 2010 vehicle, depending on how many miles you have done etc:, if the suspension travel has increased over time, then maybe suspension components have worn and may need replacing. Suspension bushes etc degrade with time and mileage as do shock absorbers and it could be worth checking all these before changing springs etc.:thumb

Have you seen this post about Robinsons in Norwich?

The rear VW HD ARB is quite easy to fit yourself if so inclined. I just reversed back wheels onto some 8x2 timber to give more crawl space. It's the front one that would probably be a workshop job. I've fitted one to our 2010 Multivan 4 motion and now moved it to our 2008 California 4 motion. Even tho it's only one end of the vehicle, it still makes a huge difference. Btw, T6 California's in NZ are all 4 motion and come with HD ARB's as standard.

The option for uprated anti roll bars seems to be on the existing customer configurator for the 204ps Ocean.

We had the Vw springs fitted at our local dealer, they cured most of the roll in corners and improved stability on the motorway enormously.
The ride over potholes is marginally harsher but is a price worth paying to get rid of the bouncy castle ride we had to begin with.

Hi Shaun

Is it much harsher or hardly noticeable on the ride? Really keen to get it done just worried about it being to harsh. Be good to get rid of some of the roll... ☺

Thanks

Shaun

As has been said before, to reduce roll get the HD anti roll bars fitted. To lower or reduce travel get shorter springs. Imo stiffer springs are a compromise, but then lots of things are...