Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing a hydraulic strut on the roof bed in a T5

M

Malcamp

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Anyone had any any experience of doing this? I'm loathe to take it to a VW garage and pay an arm and a leg!

Anyone had any any experience of doing this? I'm loathe to take it to a VW garage and pay an arm and a leg!
If you search. CHANGING HYDRAULIC RAM. there’s lot’s of info .

Yes it's dead easy. It's the same as changing the strut on a tailgate or bonnet for any car and is a 10 minute job.

Here's a demo of how to do it (this is on a car bonnet but is the same process for the roof bed struts)

You'll just need a screwdriver and someone to hold the roof bed up while you switch the struts over. I also added some felt tape on the end of the struts as the replacements didn't have any on, but not sure how important that was.

I got the new struts from vw they were only about a tenner each if I remember correctly.

I had asked the VW dealer to do it when they serviced the van but they didn't know how to do it so refused

Last edited:
If you search. CHANGING HYDRAULIC RAM. there’s lot’s of info .
I think the Op is referring to the bed gas struts.

I think the Op is referring to the bed gas struts.
Do you mean gas struts for the bed similar to the ones that keep the roof up in Beach and Oceans ?
Do they fail too ? Thanks god I got the electro-hydraulic roof! ;)

Do you mean gas struts for the bed similar to the ones that keep the roof up in Beach and Oceans ?
Do they fail too ? Thanks god I got the electro-hydraulic roof! ;)
of course I meant Beach and Coasts:headbang:headbang