Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing a roof top tent

Vojta

Vojta

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello fellow cali owners,

I decided to replace a roof top tent. I'd like an official dealership to do that but when I poked around I understood that it will be their first time. I called to a few other dealerships and it was the same situation everywhere. Apparently a roof top tent change isn't something which is done too often here.

Should I be worried? Is it hard to do right? Should I find a shop where they did it before or it doesn't matter that much?

What would you do?

Thanks!

I have not done this job.
I guess it's a question of how confident are you about your own skills. For me? I am OK with "Do it yourself" but I heard it's quite a big job and can be quite difficult in winter. (That's to do with the rubber seal and how soft/hard it is as a result of the local ambient temperature)
I also heard that a special drift tool is required to locate the seal correctly.
I think you should have a detailed conversation with someone who has done this job before you make your final decision - Dealer or DIY.

I know that quite some people do it themselves with the T4. On the Dutch forums people often reference this 'manual' that one of the members has written, including a lot of photo's. A manual that should help you to DIY.

However, the proces might be (completely?) different with the T5? I have no idea if it's similair or not at all. It might give you a general idea of the job at least.

The photos do show the T4 to be very different to the T5/6 n terms of layout and design.

Hello fellow cali owners,

I decided to replace a roof top tent. I'd like an official dealership to do that but when I poked around I understood that it will be their first time. I called to a few other dealerships and it was the same situation everywhere. Apparently a roof top tent change isn't something which is done too often here.

Should I be worried? Is it hard to do right? Should I find a shop where they did it before or it doesn't matter that much?

What would you do?

Thanks!
Hi Vojta,

have you been successful with tent changing?
Or did you find right dealership?

thanks for info

O.

Hi Vojta,

have you been successful with tent changing?
Or did you find right dealership?

thanks for info

O.

I have same issue here in Croatia... No one want to take a job here even in Austria they are willing to sell but not to replace. :)

The VW/Audi body shop in Glasgow/Scotland has a guy who charges £100 incl VAT for fitting the tent (he does a good few a week). You buy your own tent from them or wherever you can (often picking up perfect ones for nothing removed as part of VWs recall rust-a-gate roof problem. I think he's paid piece-meal by the body shop and the body shop bills you which is handy for guarantee purposes.
Glasgow's a long way from most of you guys though :-(

I just had this job done at a Volkswagen dealership in Wolfsburg, Germany. They did a fantastic job and in just a couple days I had the van back, even without an appointment. Autohaus Wolfsburg Hotz und Heitmann - Bereich Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge. Noa in the service department spoke English and was extremely helpful.