Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

replacing aux battery (batteries)

C

Corrine

Can anyone help please...
2006 T5 California, I think the leisure batteries have seen better days?
Usual story, fully charged before a 3 day event without hook-up, aux heater works first night but once the battery is at 80% on the panel, the heater only blows cold (reading the manual this is apparently normal)?
It's a VARTA CCA 800 12v AGM 75aH with dimensions 315x175x190.
VW Van Centre has given us a price to replace like for like but I wondered if anyone has replaced with a higher aH (within same dimensions), and would this keep the aux heater running longer?
Plus, if I can get a battery elsewhere, does the front seat have to come out to get this one out? We've tried to get it out through the gap but so far it hasn't budged.
Other than that, just waiting for summer!
Thanks, Corrine

Hi, you do know there are two leisure batteries in the cali ? One under passenger seat & other is under wardrobe, accessible through removable panel on left in the boot.
To remove the one under passenger seat the seat has to come out & possibly the frame the seat bolts to.
There is some info on leisure batteries in this thread here http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3563

Thanks Andy, we took the one out of wadrobe to get the specification after reading the manual from cover to cover, but couldn't squeeze the one from under the seat.
Have already read forum posts on here about batteries and it sounds like we're ready for new ones, just wondering if we can uprate aH as we've seen an 80aH on VARTA's website that has same dimensions. Will post details if it's successfull as Van Centre were quite expensive in comparisom. Cheers, Corrine.

How much did they quote you Corrine? Was it supply and fit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You could upgrade to 80 ah without any problems as long as it fits and secures properly. It will last longer before losing charge :thumb

Martin, I can't remember whether it was supply only or with fitting, will ring them tomorrow and get a current price but this time last year it was well over £200 each, which would be fine if we didn't also need 4 tyres!
Anyway, thanks for all your quick replies; I knew there were more loved Californias out there somewhere, but have only ever seen them in UK showrooms or on holiday in Germany.
Have joined the colour poll: Off Road Grey (2006 2.5 TDI 174 Tiptronic)
Furthest journey so far in T5 California: Croatia
Previously: 1991 1.9 T25 Autosleeper travelled to Norway and Spain

Corrine said:
Can anyone help please...
2006 T5 California, I think the leisure batteries have seen better days?
Usual story, fully charged before a 3 day event without hook-up, aux heater works first night but once the battery is at 80% on the panel, the heater only blows cold (reading the manual this is apparently normal)?
It's a VARTA CCA 800 12v AGM 75aH with dimensions 315x175x190.
VW Van Centre has given us a price to replace like for like but I wondered if anyone has replaced with a higher aH (within same dimensions), and would this keep the aux heater running longer?
Plus, if I can get a battery elsewhere, does the front seat have to come out to get this one out? We've tried to get it out through the gap but so far it hasn't budged.
Other than that, just waiting for summer!
Thanks, Corrine

It is not necessarly battery issue, could also be the unfamous earth shunt.
Do you have internal lights, and/or central panel blue glow, flickering in the initial stage of heating?

Hi

Just noticed the age of your van. Is the heater not functioning properly similar to the earth shunt problem that many members have had?

Yes lights flicker when not on hook-up but is fine when on hook-up and battery at 100%, just starting to read all the earth shunt posts. Will call VW Van Centre tomorrow and ask advice, we did have a recall a couple of years ago but I'm sure it was temperature sensor related.
Thanks.

Corrine said:
Yes lights flicker when not on hook-up but is fine when on hook-up and battery at 100%, just starting to read all the earth shunt posts. Will call VW Van Centre tomorrow and ask advice, we did have a recall a couple of years ago but I'm sure it was temperature sensor related.
Thanks.

You may need to replace the batteries anyway, because the average lifetime of them is 7-8 years, but it is not them causing the problem with heater. Heater will not work stable with unstable voltage, and this is the case if your lights do flicker.
I did replace the batteries first, being in the same position as you half a year ago, not knowing about the shunt issue, only to discover that it did not cure the situation at all.

Thanks Andy, we took the one out of wadrobe to get the specification after reading the manual from cover to cover, but couldn't squeeze the one from under the seat.
Have already read forum posts on here about batteries and it sounds like we're ready for new ones, just wondering if we can uprate aH as we've seen an 80aH on VARTA's website that has same dimensions. Will post details if it's successfull as Van Centre were quite expensive in comparisom. Cheers, Corrine.
Hi my refrigerator box kept tripping out even while batteries on hook up. (2006 2.5 TDI 174 Tiptronic) As you can see batteries 11 years old not done too bad but now obviously cream crackered. Rang VW they wanted £500 to repace the 2 batteries and were disputing the fact my Cali had 3 batteries A,A1,A24 and could I pop the Cali into the VW Comercial for them to check if it had the third battery.
Rang my local garage who had been looking after my Cali after the warranty expired he said no probs drop it in for him to check it out, One hour later, he can get 2 Varta PROPPER AGM batteries £340 fitted, great go ahead and fit them.
Refrigerator now running ok and batteries holding there charge

Back