Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing our Beach

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thinking of replacing our 2019 Beach with a 600 .
When we finally get going again, probably in the summer of 2021 I want a self contained van capable of accommodating 2 adult and 2 children.
Apart from the 600 is there any other vehicles worth a looking at?

Auto-Trail have some good 4 berth options like this one or some Tributes

I think your probably better off with a trailer and Ocean.
From what I’ve seen, bigger vans don’t necessarily seem that much bigger once inside.
Some very clumsy layouts at the Motorhome show last year.

I like the Hymer Free model

We have ordered a Hymer Free 540 based on viewing at the NEC last year. Only slightly taller/longer/wider than the Cali but fixed rear bed, optional pop top and shower/toilet. The Cali isn’t a daily driver so seemed sensible to get something slightly bigger to improve the camping experience. The driving experience will obviously be compromised - hopefully an acceptable compromise

When we finally get going again, probably in the summer of 2021 I want a self contained van capable of accommodating 2 adult and 2 children.
You say you're thinking about replacing your nearly new Beach with what is effectively a motorhome. Unless you only use your Beach for pure leisure, surely you'd be replacing a very useful multi purpose work horse with an expensive one trick pony. Only you know whether it's the right thing to do for you and yours but jumping into a 600 to go to the shops or down the tip isn't really that practical. In these uncertain times I'd hang onto the work horse for a bit longer and see how things go. Any alternative to a 600 would present the same issues.

BTW, if you are trying to Covid proof your family with self contained facilities then I can understand your reason for changing but if it were me I'd still hold off deciding just yet.

Personally couldn't think of anything worse than towing a caravan.
Will check out Hymar free 540 with pop top, popular on the continent.
My only concern is the passenger seating comfort and ' stretch' room for the kids.
I think Westfelia have a twin travel seat with additional seat adjacent to sliding exit door making three travel seats?

Check out the following, they all have models with layouts similar to the 600. In fact, most continental manufacturers do similar layouts. All are based on Ducato/Relay/Boxer vans. There will be more manufacturers than these too.

Globecar (various models under 6m)
Danbury Avenir (a rebranded Pilote)
Adria Twin
Westfalia (various models under 6m)
Malibu Charming
Hymercar
Wildax Aurora Leisure
Carado Vlow

Personally couldn't think of anything worse than towing a caravan.
Will check out Hymar free 540 with pop top, popular on the continent.
My only concern is the passenger seating comfort and ' stretch' room for the kids.
I think Westfelia have a twin travel seat with additional seat adjacent to sliding exit door making three travel seats?
I had the same logic - but after towing a small trailer found it wasn’t as bad as I thought.
The other consideration was what to do for leaving campsite for trips to town for shopping or carparks (beach etc) for walking. Most have small spaces and / or height barriers. Would require a lot of google searching every time I went out from site.
So this suits for my purposes. We are all different and have different factors driving our decisions.

Note, the 600 is only suitable for small childern, upstairs bed is small.

I had the same logic - but after towing a small trailer found it wasn’t as bad as I thought.
The other consideration was what to do for leaving campsite for trips to town for shopping or carparks (beach etc) for walking. Most have small spaces and / or height barriers. Would require a lot of google searching every time I went out from site.
So this suits for my purposes. We are all different and have different factors driving our decisions.
IMHO there is no such thing as the ‘perfect’ camping unit and I’ve tried most. Some come pretty close but there is always a compromise. The Cali Ocean suits me at the moment.

Using that logic imho you basically have two compromised vehicles! If you're towing something like an Eriba troll tbh you'd be better with a nice tow car and a proper proportioned caravan. I've had all combos, RR and twin axle, single axle, van conversion, A class, overcab big white and the Cali. The Cali imho only makes sense if you use it solo. There we go. I've said it now.... ‍♂️

Using that logic imho you basically have two compromised vehicles! If you're towing something like an Eriba troll tbh you'd be better with a nice tow car and a proper proportioned caravan. I've had all combos, RR and twin axle, single axle, van conversion, A class, overcab big white and the Cali. The Cali imho only makes sense if you use it solo. There we go. I've said it now.... ‍♂️
I like the size of the Eriba. Long term I am likely to use a Kombi (with fitted dog crates, etc.) for towing. The Cali with 2 dogs worked perfect. With 4 it doesn’t... It is always a balance of priorities and preferences. So no offence taken that your choices would be different.

I like the size of the Eriba. Long term I am likely to use a Kombi (with fitted dog crates, etc.) for towing. The Cali with 2 dogs worked perfect. With 4 it doesn’t... It is always a balance of priorities and preferences. So no offence taken that your choices would be different.
Sounds sensible. We are all different and o did not intend to convey any offence. Imho which is MY opinion. In my experience there is no perfect solution. I an likely to keep the Cali, buy a Hymer A class again and keep my new Porsche as a toy. Would not appeal to all but that is MY pref. I wish you many happy travels

Sounds sensible. We are all different and o did not intend to convey any offence. Imho which is MY opinion. In my experience there is no perfect solution. I an likely to keep the Cali, buy a Hymer A class again and keep my new Porsche as a toy. Would not appeal to all but that is MY pref. I wish you many happy travels
If I still had my expat salary I’d do the same. I sold the convertible when I bought the Cali... I’m hoping this new solution works for my passion for dog agility. Time will tell if I made the right decision for me and my four leggeds...
Once again, I would like to say how nice it is to have someone with a different opinion expressing it in a respectful way. Here’s hoping other threads can do the same...