Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing RCD310 with RNS510

G

Ghostrider

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

Thinking of replacing an RCD 310 with an RNS 510 in my 2013 SE. I don't have a multifunction steering wheel but have front and back parking sensors. Looking on the Internet it seems you have to be careful which model of the RNS 510 you buy as there are many many different versions. Can anyone please offer any tips - or share what model they have working in a similar vehicle.
Many thanks.

My 2013 SE has been fitted with a Pioneer AVIC-F88 DAB enfotainment system, fitted before my ownership.
I'm completely baffled by some of the features, but am assured that it's all singing all dancing.
The vehicle has a multifunction steering wheel.
Whilst recently researching this model, I saw an Ebay advert for a new old stock model offered at (I think) £560
Edit. I've just twigged that you want an RNS510, not an aftermarket model.

I fitted an RNS510 to my T5.1,(no MFSW) straight swap for the standard Stereo, very easy to fit. I bought it off a well known auction site, it had the security key supplied with it.

you have to have a GPS arial this can be secreted in the dash.

depending on Your existing wiring loom you may need an extra wiring loom block to make it fit the unit / exiting loom.

Removing the old unit and fitting is simple if you can undo a few screws

plenty of videos on you tube about fitting in a T5.

here is a vid of removal of old and fitting a new double din stereo

Thinking of replacing an RCD 310 with an RNS 510 in my 2013 SE
What are you hoping to gain from the swap? There are other routes to solve the typical weaknesses of the 310.

Hi,

Thinking of replacing an RCD 310 with an RNS 510 in my 2013 SE. I don't have a multifunction steering wheel but have front and back parking sensors. Looking on the Internet it seems you have to be careful which model of the RNS 510 you buy as there are many many different versions. Can anyone please offer any tips - or share what model they have working in a similar vehicle.
Many thanks.
Later ones have DAB which is worth having. Obviously you will need an aerial for this as well.
Check it has UK maps if getting from eBay. Some only seem to have E Europe.
Might come with the Bluetooth module as well if your'e lucky.

Hi,

Many thanks.
My 2014 Beach has an RNS 510 with DAB, phone, voice command, predictive rear camera etc. Although I love the integration with the central MF display, I find it slow and clunky to enter data, poor tactile response, there is no Car Play option, and worst of all, no free online map upgrades. They must be purchased at 100+ euros a shot on a data card, with the warning that a pirate upgrade will brick the whole unit. It was OE when I bought the van, but I never would have ordered it. The music and speaker system sounds great, but technology has come a long way in a few short years...it would be worth it to get a more updated model, but I don't think the T6 version will fit in the dash. My iphone with google maps downloaded to use offline (which allows rerouting while offline), in airplane mode on long trips to use no data only gps, is much more reliable.

Last edited:
Hi there - I have been thinking of replacing my RNS with a new head unit, so may sell? It's got DAB/Nav/Rear Camera Ready/Bluetooth Playback and Even a TV!!

You may need to upgrade your aerial, but these are £20 from Halfords.

PM Me if you are interested.

This may help, the discover media unit used in the T6 can be retrofitted to the T5, apparently Sat Nav Systems Are the only company to offer this

see Youtube vid link below

This may help, the discover media unit used in the T6 can be retrofitted to the T5, apparently Sat Nav Systems Are the only company to offer this

see Youtube vid link below

Very interesting. No predictive rear camera which uses input from the steering wheel, which I do use a lot, but if they can do this much I'm sure they can solve that.

Hi,
I would just like to thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated.

I am so sorry I was not aware I had any replies to this thread as my email must have sent notifications to my junk folder.

As a result I have only just seen all your responses, such a shame I didnt see them earlier.

I actually havent replaced the unit yet so your advice will still be very useful.

Many thanks again.

I really love this. It’s cost £240 with DAB and CarPlay and I paid someone £200 to fit it. For us it’s brilliant.
6895F7CB-A116-4778-88A4-8E478C501486.png

Sony XAV-AX1000​

I got from Amazon but seems might cost a bit more now. The volume knob is great and you hold it to activate Siri if you want to voice active stuff like “navigate home using Waze” or “play my driving playlist”. iPhone plugs into usb at the front.

I really love this. It’s cost £240 with DAB and CarPlay and I paid someone £200 to fit it. For us it’s brilliant.
View attachment 75168

Sony XAV-AX1000​

I got from Amazon but seems might cost a bit more now. The volume knob is great and you hold it to activate Siri if you want to voice active stuff like “navigate home using Waze” or “play my driving playlist”. iPhone plugs into usb at the front.
Thankyou Lambeth Cali. Much appreciated.