Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing roof canvas/bellows

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
IMG_3226.JPG Hi all, I received my new roof canvas this morning from Gunzl, it looks good.
I'm hoping to fit it tomorrow and I've been reading the previous posts here about fitting it, which have been very helpful.
However, the new canvas on the rear inside, has four loose strings. See attached photos.
What do I do with these, do they tuck in to the fittings that hold the canvas in place?
I've sent an email to Gunzl to query them, just waiting on a reply.

Got a reply this morning from Gunzl, the extra string is to allow for movement and stretching while fitting and then has the be trimmed when finished fitting.

If they are not doing any harm, it might be worth leaving them loose on the inside..... In case you need to remove and re-do at some stage.

Yea it might've no harm at all if there is room to tuck them away.

So I've made a start this evening, got the old canvas removed fairly easy. Made a start one fitting the top of the new one.
Fitted the top front of the new one first and worked my way down the sides. The top rear is very tight so I may loosen the aluminum trim on the sides and get the rear in place first. Hate this fiddly work, but tomorrow is supposed to be dry so I should get it finished and head away for the night.

So I've made a start this evening, got the old canvas removed fairly easy. Made a start one fitting the top of the new one.
Fitted the top front of the new one first and worked my way down the sides. The top rear is very tight so I may loosen the aluminum trim on the sides and get the rear in place first. Hate this fiddly work, but tomorrow is supposed to be dry so I should get it finished and head away for the night.
Take plenty of pictures to post on here and good luck.

Right got this job done, didn't enjoy it at all. Would have preferred to have to take the gearbox out!!!!!
Will do a quick write up about it and post a few pics next week.
But it's done and I'm away for the night in it so happy days.

Right got this job done, didn't enjoy it at all. Would have preferred to have to take the gearbox out!!!!!
Will do a quick write up about it and post a few pics next week.
But it's done and I'm away for the night in it so happy days.
Well done

I am currently looking at replacing the canvas on our 2008 T5 roof tent. I came across a video on this once before but now cannot find it. Anyone have a link for a DIY bellows replacement video?

Found this one in German - but you can add the subtitles and auto translate.
Does that help at all?

Probably not a record but not a bad thread resurrection. T4 or T5?