Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing the waste tank

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Has anyone had their waste water tank replaced? I asked the dealer to take a look at the sensor today - which has never worked. They have reported that whilst investigating the sensor they found a crack in the tank which they now want to replace (I am suspicious that they may have cracked it)!

Apparently it is an 8 hour job because they have to remove the kitchen entirely. That fills me with dread. Gas / water / trim - will it ever be the same again?

Has anyone had their waste water tank replaced? I asked the dealer to take a look at the sensor today - which has never worked. They have reported that whilst investigating the sensor they found a crack in the tank which they now want to replace (I am suspicious that they may have cracked it)!

Apparently it is an 8 hour job because they have to remove the kitchen entirely. That fills me with dread. Gas / water / trim - will it ever be the same again?
No knowledge but I with you on the dread scale! I'm one of those people who subscribe to the view that the least number of hands touching any of my cars the better!

....no good news , as the whole unit is fitted in in one piece front to back in the factory i would like to now how they will do this at your dealer!

We seen it assembling at the factory visit and it's pretty easy with a mechanical lift to get it in place it just takes two men , a few screws and in five minutes they assemble it.

Maybe the tank can come out just taking some parts away from the kitchen/sliding doors....

....no good news , as the whole unit is fitted in in one piece front to back in the factory i would like to now how they will do this at your dealer!

We seen it assembling at the factory visit and it's pretty easy with a mechanical lift to get it in place it just takes two men , a few screws and in five minutes they assemble it.

Maybe the tank can come out just taking some parts away from the kitchen/sliding doors....
Thanks HC. They have said that it doesn't need to be removed - just pulled forward. I'm trembling.............

I had my fridge replaced and apparently the kitchen had to come out to do that job. You'd never know it had been done except that the fridge now works properly.

I had my fridge replaced and apparently the kitchen had to come out to do that job. You'd never know it had been done except that the fridge now works properly.
As far as I am aware the Fridge is lifted out once disconnected and the lid removed with fittings.

I also thought the fridge can be lift out from above....

Well at least they have come clean and admitted it was their fault. I shall be inspecting the work like a hawk.

Thanks HC. They have said that it doesn't need to be removed - just pulled forward. I'm trembling.............

After seeing the factory I agree with @hotel california, it would be a huge process to take it out. But I think that they might be able to take out the back seat, loosen the kitchen unit, and move it towards the centre in the car. Then they might be able to access from the back. Then It would not be such a horrible task to do.

After seeing the factory I agree with @hotel california, it would be a huge process to take it out. But I think that they might be able to take out the back seat, loosen the kitchen unit, and move it towards the centre in the car. Then they might be able to access from the back. Then It would not be such a horrible task to do.
That's pretty much what they have described. Still 8 hours labour though apparently.

That's pretty much what they have described. Still 8 hours labour though apparently.

If you are comfortable with the Dealer, I would not worry too much. Anyway, what is the alternative …

If you are comfortable with the Dealer, I would not worry too much. Anyway, what is the alternative …
You're right - no alternative. The waste tank is not currently water-tight :(

What about repairing the crack? Not possible with resin or something else?

When i took my fridge out it just lifted out did not need to removed kitchen. see my explanation in the download section

I had to have my water tank replaced when new, water leaked out into the boot area when we filled it. The replacement took 5 days and the whole kitchen unit and wardrobe had to be removed. As you can imagine I was horrified and sure it would never be the same again! I needn't have worried though, VW Sheffield did an excellent job and I couldn't find any sign of it being removed afterwards. I did get to drive around in a VW Caddy for a week, so I got all of the dump trips done, bonus!

I had to have my water tank replaced when new, water leaked out into the boot area when we filled it. The replacement took 5 days and the whole kitchen unit and wardrobe had to be removed. As you can imagine I was horrified and sure it would never be the same again! I needn't have worried though, VW Sheffield did an excellent job and I couldn't find any sign of it being removed afterwards. I did get to drive around in a VW Caddy for a week, so I got all of the dump trips done, bonus!
Mine's in now. Fingers crossed for a similar experience.

Back