Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Researching .....

GordonH

GordonH

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello Cali folks,

I'm at the beginning of my research phase, thought I would join and look around.

We've motorhomed in Australia and New Zealand and loved it. Thinking of dipping our toe into ownership to allow those ad-hoc spur of the moment get aways and the VW T6 seems like a nice compromise between a daily driver and a 'get away from it all' vehicle.

Very impressed by the new Cali Ocean we test drove yesterday (204hp DSG TDI). Well put together, quiet, comfortable etc.

Lack of a loo in the Cali is really the only reason I am also researching the myriad of conversions, Westfalia CCJ/Kepler and Autohausvw Camelot are the sparing alternatives.

Has anyone else gone through this thinking cycle of 'fixed loo or not'

Hello Cali folks,

I'm at the beginning of my research phase, thought I would join and look around.

We've motorhomed in Australia and New Zealand and loved it. Thinking of dipping our toe into ownership to allow those ad-hoc spur of the moment get aways and the VW T6 seems like a nice compromise between a daily driver and a 'get away from it all' vehicle.

Very impressed by the new Cali Ocean we test drove yesterday (204hp DSG TDI). Well put together, quiet, comfortable etc.

Lack of a loo in the Cali is really the only reason I am also researching the myriad of conversions, Westfalia CCJ/Kepler and Autohausvw Camelot are the sparing alternatives.

Hi and welcome.

In answer to your question I should yes, most of us have probably considered it but it's just one of the issues in the decision making. It comes down to whether or not it's one of the bigger issues and that is a personal choice.
For us wanting and needing only one vehicle, the size, the flexibility, the pleasure of driving etc etc all came before having no loo so the inconvenience of not having a convenience came well down the list.
Currently away on our first major trip and the portaloo has been well and truly christened, it's not been a problem.

Mike

public toilet
cafe toilet
petrol station toilet
camp site toilet block
camping toilet (portaloo)
bucket
bush
All work never been too caught out

Welcome , when looking to buy a Cali there's no better place than this forum to do research!

Personal i think a small chemic toilet is a must in any Cali , but many others seems to think diffrent and do theire stuff in an plastic bag ....i wonder where that ends up ?

Some use a simple bucket overnight ...ok but do they leave it in tbe Cali the whole night?

A chemical toilet is the way to go ;)

You need a toilet if you want to camp in the wild /nature ...keep nature nice and tidy !

As said above plenty of places to go when in towns and city's but when parked up for the night in stealth mode i don't have to leave my house to take a pee...

I hope also ...but have do see diffrent things on parkings from time to time.

Welcome, we have only been members for a short time but have found the help and advice invaluable.
Our Cali Ocean is our everyday car too and we have a chemical loo which gives us the flexibility for all styles of camping. We bought an annex tent for the loo/shower and storage in a sale. Best £20 spent!
The Cali for us has been the best of everything, investment, fun, day/weekend trips, driveway friendly and fits in a supermarket car park space. Perfect

Hello Cali folks,

Andy (Meoncoast) put it well.

When needing to find a loo there is a bewildering choice of places that imagination put to work can think of.

There are two occasions when an on board loo is indispensable. Wild camping and middle of the night. I use a bog-in-a-bag: The tripod takes up no space and the receptacles, normally containing congealing, deodorising and sanitising agents,can then be kept and disposed of when opportunity allows.

I did use a chemical toilet, horses for courses. My problem was that after two days or so away from civilisation and wild camping the thing gets full, then how do I dispose of the contents? The final straw for me was in the far north of scotland, in winter with so many places closed, scuttling around with a waste tank full of human waste and chemical agents desperately trying to find a public loo or whatever to get rid of contents.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the replies.

We had a Thetford 335 Cube toilet under the sink in our SE when we had it. We never intended to actually use it unless there was no other alternative. We have since sold the SE but still have the toilet, still new and unused........thank goodness. :Nailbiting

We had a Thetford 335 Cube toilet under the sink in our SE when we had it. We never intended to actually use it unless there was no other alternative. We have since sold the SE but still have the toilet, still new and unused........thank goodness. :Nailbiting
We carted a popaloo around Scandinavia with us for 75 consecutive nights away. Never used it, not once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we also carry an unused Thetford 335 Cube toilet "just if all else fails" It is a bit like Trident

Last edited:
Chemical loo is getting used in ours now that we are using AIRE sites. With just the two of us they are really convenient. Tonight is a good example, heading south through France and choices were a number of campsites around the town or a free AIRE near the centre. Its tucked up behind the supermarket, half full with big whites, quiet and they even have a car wash with a lance so the Cali can get spruced up as we depart.
Parked up and in 2 mins we were in the town having coffee by the banks of a river.
It's for these occasions you need a loo solution.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For those odd occasions the " Bog in a Bag " can't be beaten. Easy to store, with the cover a little camping stool and easily disposed of , anywhere, and biodegradable. Used to use a Portaloo but this is even more convenient. Have a pop up toilet tent for use on site and if used wild camping just setup when needed.:thumb

We keep a thetford 345 under the bed base in the back for emergency situations. It is surprising his often we use it!

The 345 is slightly bigger than the 335 but short enough to go under the bed. It save taking up space in the cupboard.

I do find it annoying that the Cali does not have a mid cab curtain behind the front seats. My old Carthago T4 had one, excellent for privacy quickly and stealth camping. Thinking about retro fitting...