Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofit diesel heating/auxiliary heating in (68) Cali Beach

G

GeorgeandAnne

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Anne here!

So, we’re definitely getting a 2nd hand T6 Cali. But we’re still at an impasse about whether to go Beach (which has no aux heating) or Ocean (which has aux heating, but a higher price tag and extras I’m frankly not sure I want). And one of the sticking points is the diesel auxiliary heater.

It stinks in the 2018 Ocean we tried (which is about the same age as the van we used to hire, so it’s only normal stink, but it is nasty). I know that one of the reasons for that stink is because the outlet for that first puff of diesel is next to the passenger door, and the “fresh air” inlet is by the passenger door.

So my Beach related question is, I see I can get a diesel heater retrofitted, but can I get it fitted so it vents to the opposite side to send the fumes away from the door? And if so, who would you recommend?

My second question is, can I just run the engine and the car heating to keep the back warm, while stationary? It’s not a camping overnight solution, but would it work for daytime running for a couple of hours whilst out?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed.

Engine is a very expensive method of heating it also wouldn't do the Emission System any good as the low exhaust flow would lead to soot build up. Environment issue?
Stationary engine running is becoming a no-no legally - slowly being implemented.

Personally never been aware of any smell but wouldn't have the door or door window open if that cold - so saying I do have the window slightly open for condensation purposes as deflectors fitted - still no smell noticed.

Gas heater?

The exhaust from either the night heater (blown air) or the auxiliary heater (heats the engine coolant water) are both under the centre of the vehicle on OEM installations. Certainly not by any door opening.

It is possible to fit an after market Eberspacher or Webasto blown air heater to a Cali without any problems. The most difficult part would be integrating it into the existing electronics if a complete OEM installation is desired. However there are excellent options of controllers available from both manufacturers to provide almost identical facilities to those of the OEM installation.
There are lots of threads about such after market installs on this and other forums, either DIY or workshop installed. This is one such forum, there are others.

Back