Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofitting an electric hook up to my Beach

Swanndog78

Swanndog78

Vehicle
T5 Beach
hey all my 63 beach missed out narrowly in the electrical hook up option and I really want to add this to take the pressure off of the leisure battery. Any guidance as to how easy/cheap this is to do and where to get it done would be massively appreciated.

Big up to all you went to COTF this weekend it was awesome :)

Is SMG Cowfold close to you. They might be able to help, and they do offer a Forum Discount. If they are close a PM or phone call might give you the info you require.

They are Forum Sponsors. See banner above.

This was a question quite frequently asked a few years ago when the Beach didn’t come as standard with EHU. Have a look through the Beach subsection of the forum and you will find the threads there. Couple of decisions you will have to make:
Where to place the external socket – Options are under bonnet, under rear bumper or where VW put it in the nearside panel (involves cutting!!).
Where to place the internal outlets – Nearside B pillar or back of seat plinth are usual places.
Where to put the circuit breaker/fused distribution box – Under passenger seat is usual. Some people have put it in the area above where the jack is stored I believe.

Most people also add a means of charging the leisure battery when on hookup. Often a ‘smart’ charger such as the CTEK ones.

As to costs a ‘hookup kit ‘ with sockets, cable & distribution RCD/MCB ~ £70 http://www.travelvolts.com/Mains-equipment.html (he also does fitting and gets good reviews)

Smart charger to charge the leisure battery ~ £100 I have this one http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs-70.php

For the labour, depending on complexity, positioning, number of outlets etc could vary from a couple of hours labour to a day I expect. I ended up doing it myself and getting it checked by an electricial friend. I was putting it into a kitchen pod though so not a std installation. Did ask my local VW garage about retrofitting but they weren’t interested.

I'd maybe consider a decent solar panel as an alternative option too, if you get the right one you would never need hookup again and they can now be fitted easily without any need for cutting a hole.

If you are certain you want one, I'd also be consider adding it somewhere hidden under the van, or near the rear bumper rather than cutting a hole in a panel which can encourage corrosion. On my T25 we had it hidden behind the number plate door, so its completely out of sight yet easy to get to.