Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofitting Towbar

A

aileron346

VIP Member
I'd be grateful for any advice about retrofitting towbars the the facelifted 2010--> Calis. The two main options seem to be:

1) a full fitting with dedicated wiring loom going through to the engine.. OR..
2) The towbar electrics simply wired into the rear lighting systems.

It seems that 1) involves a fair bit of work and so expense. For the 2nd option, I realise that obviously it cannot function with the ESP. Is there also a problem with the reversing sensors? Or is that all OK if a detachable towbar is fitted?

Is 2) generally considered an 'OK' option for retrofitting a towbar to the Cali for occasional trailer towing but more frequent bike carrier use?

Thanks for any advice/comments/opinions.
Cheers
Paul

I would only advise option 1. I have seen vehicles where there have been lots of problems on aftermarket tow bars fitted. Also remember that the vehicle will not recognise when a trailer is connected and I have seen vehicles where the rear brakes have worn out seriously quickly as it doesn't know if it is towing or not.

If your vehicle was ordered with tow bar prep then there is a different wiring loom that can be ordered and fitted which takes three quarters of an hour as opposed to multiple hours if it doesn't have it fitted.

cheers

Thanks...that's helpful. In terms of full fitting with dedicated wiring loom to the engine and reprogramming etc, is this commonly done without problem on Cali's?

I must admit I've had a previous VW (not a camper) and had an on-the-driveway fitting of a towbar with dedicated wiring loom. Loads of the interior trim and some seats were removed - it was horrifying to see! The towbar and electrics all functioned fine but some of the trim wasn't really quite the same afterwards. The thought of much of the fittings of a Cali being removed...

So is it commonly done without problems? Anyone any experience of this?
Paul

We have done a lot of them and it does not effect internal trims at all.

cheers

I am thinking of doing the same thing - I need to get it done for next summer. You can DIY, if you buy the Westfailia bits it will be the same as the VW install.

The parts are:

Electrics: Westfalia Part# 321 454 300 143 - RRP £250.80 - £155 P F Jones
Towbar Detachable: 321 651 600 001 - RRP £362.40 - £159 P F Jones or £149.22 Towequipe

By all account the towbar is fairly simple, you need to buy a few VW spacers to fit it correctly, all part numbers are in the instructions.

The electrics are a bit of a faff - the wires go under the van, so there is no mucking around with the camping furniture. But you have to make connections near the headlight switch, under one of the seats and in the engine bay.

Finally you will need to code the electrics to the Van using VCDS or get a friendly VW person to do it for you.

I think it is DIY-able if you take your time, but looks harder than my previous two DIY installs (VW Zafira and BMW 520)

Hope this helps (all of this knowledge is from reading rather than actually doing :) )

Hi,
My new California arrives in about a week and I am having a VW detachable tow bar retro fitted.
This is a replacement Cali after my first one was bought back by the dealer.
I wish I hadn't read the thread about trims and interior!!
I hope all goes well.
Still,after careful consideration I thought that the genuine article was the only way to go. California's are an expensive bit kit-only the best will do.

Mike.

If you have one coming with the factory prep kit then there is a connection at the nearside rear which means it is a lot easier and labour time is three quarters of an hour for the wiring kit plus the fitting of the towbar itself on top of that.

cheers

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the tip but no prep in place so it has to be all the money-just in case I ever want to tow!
I must be mad.

Mike.

Hi has anyone actually done this themselves yet? or seen a guide online to do it? (proper loom version not splicing into the rear lights)

Has anyone had theres wired at a dealer and if so how much did it cost?

SMG if you read this could you pm me a quote for supply and fit and for just fitting?

Had a retro fit tow bar fitted bt anker tow bars in warwickshire in 2007 and never had any problems

John

ps i think it cost £150 fitted

rippers said:
Hi has anyone actually done this themselves yet? or seen a guide online to do it? (proper loom version not splicing into the rear lights)

Has anyone had theres wired at a dealer and if so how much did it cost?

SMG if you read this could you pm me a quote for supply and fit and for just fitting?

If you could contact us with your registration and or chassis number then we can check what wiring is needed as some vehicles will have tow bar prep which cuts the labour time down to 0.75 hours for the wiring as opposed to 4 hours if it has to be run the length of the vehicle.

thanks

Got a few quotes, best so far is the most local.. (that never happens!) GT Towing in Hatfield. Quote £680 inc vat supplied and fitted for the Westfalia detachable swan with proper wiring and coded to work with ESP, Parking Sensors and dash lights etc

Anyone else I could try? SMG have quoted

£420+VAT is what we pay for a Westfalia removable towbar, with the proper factory wiring and coded as necessary.

Drop me a call tomorrow and ill give you the details :thumb

rippers said:

Yep, did mine a while back and have posted quite a bit of info. :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
£420+VAT is what we pay for a Westfalia removable towbar, with the proper factory wiring and coded as necessary.

This looks a good price Oli ;-)

I need to get a towbar added to mine for a Thule Easybase carrier in the next couple weeks. I am in the South East .... anyone found any other reasonable options? or Oli could you help hook me up with your fitter? :thumb

Steve.

If it's any help to anyone we had one done by these people in Chesterfield.
http://www.towitall.co.uk/
It was around £450 for a Westfalia detachable bar (which all fits nicely in the box behind the rear seat) and electrics including recoding to take care of the rear sensors.
No trim removed and all worked fine.
They seem well experienced and do a lot of retrofits for local dealers.

PF Jones sell westfalia detatchable tow bars which are the OEM. They also have a nationwide network of fitters for instalation. On their kits the electrics go underneath the van so avoid need to remove any of the internal fittings. The reason why a van centre will quote so much for fitting is because they fit electrics inside the left hand side of the van, which means removing the wardrobe & kitchen.
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/vw-t5-tran...hable-towbar.html?selected_section=wg_inquiry

If you order from pfjones you will need to special order the Westfalia electrics using the number I have previously posted.

Thanks all - towitall price seems great .... bit far ideally but will bare in mind. I will give pfjones a call and see what they quote tomorrow suspect they will be a fair bit more just based on listed parts prices. Any more recommendations by way of a back up?

Steve.

Just make sure pfjones don't fob you off with the wrong wiring kit. Anything with a part number ending in RC is crap.