Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reverse camera

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
So after replacing the head unit (see separate thread) with an Alpine model, I finally found time to install the reverse camera. This is obvs on a T4 but the principle is the same.

Cable route to the rear was simple enough. Dash, footwell, B pillar, behind trim panel above sliding door, rear locker, rubber conduit into tail gate, inside tail gate and emerge via the number plate light.

Reverse light link (camera auto select when selecting reverse) cable took the same route but went down the C pillar to the light cluster.

I was hoping to disassemble the camera unit to use just the lens and mount it in the VW badge. Sadly it wasn't to be.
It now sits up under the number plate fairing. Seems to work ok..

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

Camera unit is Alpine HCE-C252RD

Thanks for posting this sidepod.

I've about to removed the factory unit for a Sony and I've been told I'm going to lose the reverse beeps. So a camera is my only option. Sounds like I'll also have to wire thought the Van.

Thanks for posting this sidepod.

I've about to removed the factory unit for a Sony and I've been told I'm going to lose the reverse beeps. So a camera is my only option. Sounds like I'll also have to wire thought the Van.
Shouldn't loose the beeps. Mine has an aftermarket head unit and the beeps still work

Back