Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reversing Camera as an after sale addition

FoodieLoobie

FoodieLoobie

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have recently purchased our first California. We love the van but find reversing isn't always easy due to poor vision around the back and so are looking at options for having a reversing camera installed.

On the VW website under accessories for the California they show a reversing camera which displays a picture on the rear view mirror. We have contacted out local VW Van dealer (in Derby) who are unaware of this and can't offer us any options. They have suggested a mobile solutions dealer who may be able to put in a camera. I have looked at reviews for them on line which are quite mixed.

We ideally would like to go with the option which would have been available if we had bought the van from new with the digital radio (which we don't currently have but would like to get too) which shows the reversing picture on the screen.

Can anyone offer any advice, any dos or don'ts, places to go to or ones to avoid in the East Midlands/Derby area? Any pitfalls we may find with making these changes? Our van is still under VW warranty for another year so we don't want to make any changes which would adversely affect or invalidate this.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks very much.

Talk to Mark at volksvans (. Co. Uk I think, or Facebook). He away in France but is a great auto electrician who has owned a string of Cali's. He's not far from the Tram Museum.

We have recently purchased our first California. We love the van but find reversing isn't always easy due to poor vision around the back and so are looking at options for having a reversing camera installed.

On the VW website under accessories for the California they show a reversing camera which displays a picture on the rear view mirror. We have contacted out local VW Van dealer (in Derby) who are unaware of this and can't offer us any options. They have suggested a mobile solutions dealer who may be able to put in a camera. I have looked at reviews for them on line which are quite mixed.

We ideally would like to go with the option which would have been available if we had bought the van from new with the digital radio (which we don't currently have but would like to get too) which shows the reversing picture on the screen.

Can anyone offer any advice, any dos or don'ts, places to go to or ones to avoid in the East Midlands/Derby area? Any pitfalls we may find with making these changes? Our van is still under VW warranty for another year so we don't want to make any changes which would adversely affect or invalidate this.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks very much.
You can have the Original radio and reversing camera fitted, but it will cost.

http://hazzydayz.com/transporter-7e---2010-2015---t51-101-c.asp

Or 3rd Party equivalent as mentioned by @2into1

Personally I'd not consider retro fitting a VW head unit/camera. They are eye-wateringly expensive and quite old technology now.

I replaced the RNS510 unit in mine with an Alpine ilx700 mechless unit plus camera which was less than the price for a retro fit camera for the RNS

Kenwood also do a very nice set up too. I'd definitely explore the after market options, the sound quality is also streets ahead (with the money you save you could also upgrade the factory speakers)

My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I think a camera a vehicle the size of a Cali (with bike racks etc obscuring the rear vision) is a really decent idea. My sister has one in her Citroen TinyThing which is just nuts (you could open the door and reach behind you to feel the bumper isn't about to touch anything )

I too have just the parking sensors but would like to explore fitting a camera.
For those that have the factory fitted option, are the guidelines fixed on the T6 camera or are they linked to the steering?

Back