Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reversing Camera

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Not a big deal but something I’ll mention at the next service unless someone else has a quick fix.

First time today I can now see the rear number plate in the screen which means the camera is pointing down more than it was. I’ve checked that it’s in its housing correctly. I presume you pop it out and there is an adjustment.

Anyone else had this issue.

2800688885221bb10725a6e3f58d459a.jpg

Mike

Mine is the same and I wondered if it had moved because......
Using the camera intially I took it for what it was and focused on a clear path.
But after I washed the Cali for the first time I suddenly noticed bright yellow number plate.
I had thought it must have moved then wondered if it was simply that it is now clean its more noticeable.

Thanks. Interesting as mine has definitely moved .

Mike
Funny that you mention this, initially ours didn't show the number plate but after a month or two of ownership it started to. It doesn't bother me.

Is that a tow bar on yours? I guess the 'new' position makes it easier to line up the tow bar with a trailer or similar?

Funny that you mention this, initially ours didn't show the number plate but after a month or two of ownership it started to. It doesn't bother me.

Is that a tow bar on yours? I guess the 'new' position makes it easier to line up the tow bar with a trailer or similar?

I have a towbar on mine and I must admit it is very handy lining up the towbar to the A-frame.

I've always been able to see the number plate, but I have wondered if I am seeing more of it.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Had I not read this I’d have thought it was “just us” several weeks in and a few washes and now my plate is clearly visible, again it was not originally how odd

Could either the camera or the number plate be moved/dislodged by repeated closing of the tailgate? Maybe the number plate has been removed for some reason and not replaced in exactly the same position?

Could either the camera or the number plate be moved/dislodged by repeated closing of the tailgate? Maybe the number plate has been removed for some reason and not replaced in exactly the same position?

Good point, ours is held firm by two screws so only option is camera movement I guess ?

Good point, ours is held firm by two screws so only option is camera movement I guess ?
If your camera is a factory fit I would be thinking more towards the number plate as the problem area. Could it have been dislodged during washing even? Has your Cali been back to the dealers for any reason? Has someone bumped/reversed into it?

Thanks for all the replies and based on them I believe the camera has moved a fraction and pointing lower.

I’ve washed mine dozens of times and change has occurred literally overnight with no washing so that’s not it and my number plate has not moved either. My best guess is that the lens is in some sort of protective cover and it’s moved slightly within it.

Mine is factory fit.

Don’t fancy pulling it out to find out as it can only end in tears.

Mike

As long as the distances and the red warning line are still about right, probably not a problem.
How do you find the reversing bleepers with the tow bar in place?

When I first had my van I thought the same, I was convinced the camera had moved. Now I think it's down to the reflective nature of the numberplate. If light falls a certain way on the plate it shows up big and bold on the reversing camera, other times it's dark and you don't notice it.

When I first had my van I thought the same, I was convinced the camera had moved. Now I think it's down to the reflective nature of the numberplate. If light falls a certain way on the plate it shows up big and bold on the reversing camera, other times it's dark and you don't notice it.

Good shout and I can see how this might happen. Not the case for mine though. Lens has moved after a year. Before that number plate was completely out of shot.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good shout and I can see how this might happen. Not the case for mine though. Lens has moved after a year. Before that number plate was completely out of shot.
I've just had a good look at mine and I'm convinced the reason I can see more of the number plate is that the number plate has warped slightly.
78f481bcad4e169fbddf3186fa53ef09.jpg

I can also see the bottom of the bike rack, so adjustment won't help improve the field of view.

I've just had a good look at mine and I'm convinced the reason I can see more of the number plate is that the number plate has warped slightly.
78f481bcad4e169fbddf3186fa53ef09.jpg

That’s a possibility. I’ll have a look at mine again.

Mike

Mine is the same, did not see number plate in the first few weeks then it appeared!!

Mine looks exactly the same as Amarillo's

I've often had some warping on number plates. I look at them and think 'what an idiot would fit something as badly as that?', but perhaps the perspex does deform / stretch in the varying temperatures.

Mine has definitely moved. When I first had the van, I could barely see the number plate. As of about 4 weeks ago, I can now see it clearly.

Here;s a challenge.......
Can someone post a pic from their screen when in reverse where the number plate is not visible?

Last edited:
I had never noticed it in my camera before, but today it's there
Number Plate.jpg
The number plate is flat on the metal of the van, so the plate doesn't seem to have curved. I'd also not noticed that the picture is a mirror image and the reg plate behind me is reversed.

Back