Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reversing (rear view) Camera

sleepyjoe

sleepyjoe

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi
Has anyone fitted a reversing camera, and what was involved? I have a factory fitted RNS-510 unit and wondered if a rear view camera could be retro-fitted.

There are 2 Kenwood camera's I believe you could fit, but I'd check with Kenwood or VW first. Have a look at the bottom of the page in the link below.

I didn't fit the CMOS-300 that's on my van (my head unit isn't the RNS-510 BTW) as didn't have the time to do the cable run through the tailgate, & then from the rear to the dash. The pro that did it said it took 2 of them the best part of a day. Which I can believe, as have fitted stuff like this before myself!

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/vw/DNX520VBT/

The CMOS-300 is worth the extra over the 200, I'm very impressed with it, as was the fitter as he'd only fitted the 200 before it has some great extra angle views.

HTH

It all seems a bit ott (and expensive!) to me.
The rear sensors are more than sufficient for me its a relatively small vehicle after all.

Our new partner Vag-Tec can supply and fit Genuine VW reversing camera's, there are two options of £449 and £749 including installation at your location. You also get 15% discount. More details in the VIP room

I have a Kenwood CMOS-200 sitting in a box waiting for me to pick up the courage to fit. The biggest obstacle is removing the holder for the camping chairs in the rear gate for access - tons of plastic clips to remove!
I have rear parking parking but nothing beats being able to see exactly whats behind you - esp when its dark and vision is severely limited on the rear nearside with cupboard in place.
I do a fair bit of towing so the camera will allow me to reverse right onto the hitch - the rear parking is disabled once you connect a trailer too.

Vag-tec I have emailed but they haven't replied so not sure how to action. I have a new Cali Se 180DSG with the factory fitted radio/CD and the parking sensors with the screen view of qclose obstacles. I really need a sat nav that will function well in the Uk and Europe but dont want to lose the parking screen view unless it is replaced by an integral camera a system with a view on he same screen. also need blutoothw.
I am a VIp member but perhaps hats why Vag-tec haven't got back to me. (the discount)
Can anyone advise on the various systems and how to access an actual bod who will get on with the fitting if vag-tec don't reply. I can never get them on the phone either it's always leave a message and they'll get back in 10 minutes. Now getting very frustrated, is this something a VW dealership like SMG would arrange on my behalf if hey have more direct lines of communication with Vag-tec etc

Hi Isa

I am in touch with the director as we speak, I have sent you an email.

Yes I have phoned several times but there's never anyone there just a message to leave a message....

I have emailed vag-tec about this (and sat-nav,MDI,bluetooth - so over £2K of sales for them) and heard...... NOTHING back (oh other than the automatic enquiry acknowledgement)

They don't seem terribly keen to do business..... :headwall

Hi Simon

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I am really sorry you are having trouble reaching them, I have just spoken to the director of the company and he is very concerened by this and he says he will now deal with all members personally himself.

If you can please call: 0777 33 666 44

If we can please keep this thread updated with any further feedback on the company.

As Vag Tec didnt answer within norms of business, i contacted SMG Cowfold and they fitted a wonderful Kenwood + parking camera sat nav + DVD bluetooth, radio etc etc. Maybe Vagtec don't understand that some of us are time poor and the discount is less important than the service.

Martin said:
Hi Simon

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I am really sorry you are having trouble reaching them, I have just spoken to the director of the company and he is very concerened by this and he says he will now deal with all members personally himself.

If you can please call: 0777 33 666 44

If we can please keep this thread updated with any further feedback on the company.

Left a voicemail with the director this morning so we will see what happens.

In complete contrast HazzyDayz got back to me within the hour about their similar service though they are somewhat more expensive.

So, they've called me back and were very helpful. Apparently having issues with their mail server... So the mobile number is the way to contact them.

Now to decide between 315 and 510... DAB versus DVDlayback and larger screen...

Simon

Thank you Simon for updating us on this, please keep us posted if you do decide to go with them.

Thanks

Martin

Just to let you guys know that we can supply and fit the cameras with the Kenwood sat nav and can get it fitted in a day.

cheers

So Hazzy Dayz had the California one day last week and fitted:

RNS510 with voice control
VW Bluetooth
VW MDI for ipod
VW Genuine Reversing Camera (required alternate numberplate light panel)

Very happy with the work done (less happy with the lighter wallet!) though I did pick them up on the trim used to cover the bluetooth microphone and they have now ordered the California specific part with which to replace it.

I'll post a review on a separate thread; all working as the factory intended including MFD.

Simon

Back