Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reviews New Club Partner Taylormade Memory Foam Mattress Topper

S

swigle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Ordered Saturday, arrived this morning, which isn't to bad given there was a weekend and a Bank Holiday in there!

Mine is in the fabric as shown in the photos above - I didn't think to ask if there was any different colour available!

Perfect fit, length and width-wise. Well made (stithcing, zip, fabric & topper itself).
Enough slack fabric to allow the 3 sections to concertina nicely.
Sits nicely on parcel shelf - 6 inches high (obviously). A few inches spare on the shelf when headrests up.
Not quite enough room to have headrests fully folded down (the way I prefer them when no passengers in the back) and mattress on the shelf - I suspect the mattress would catch on the tailgate / end up being very slightly squished.
Cut-out corner is a nice touch. When folded, the two 'un-cut' sections don't sit quite flat - that is with parcel shelf in lower position; I suspect they would sit flat when the shelf is in the upper position.

And none of the above should be interpretted as a complaint in any way - just trying to give an honest review!

... which is incomplete without the most important part of the review - how comfortable is it? But not sure my boss would look on me too favourably if I were to have a kip in my Cali at lunchtime!
All I can say is thickness (2") seems more than sufficient, and definitely irons out the 'quirks' of the 'au naturelle' bed.

Photos to follow ...

Re: New Club Partner - Taylormade Memory Foam Mattress Toppe

Thanks for that honest review Steve nice one :thumb

Hello Everyone,
Here's some pictures of the grey Mattress in one of our customer's California,

2012-04-12152907.jpg

2012-04-12153153.jpg

The pictures honestly don't do the mattress justice, it looks excellent!

Steve,
Thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated, this customer also had the same feedback about the "non cut pieces".
We're going to change the dimensions of the folding pieces, extending the piece with the cut out by 4 inches (toward the front of the vehicle) and reducing the other two pieces by 2 inches each. This will enable the mattress to be folded up and lay flat by clearing the cut out part.

If you want to return your mattress Steve, I'll send you one of grey mattresses with the new dimensions free of charge. I'm keen to get the mattress just right.

You've got my details ;)

Cheers Nick

Thanks for the photos Nick.
I looks like an excellent item.
Luke

I've taken photos but won't be posting them - Nick has very kindly offered to replace my black one with a grey one as per the photos he's posted - minor adjustment to template so it lies fully flat when folded on the parcel shelf, plus zip on the other edge (away from the cupboards) - who am I to quibble about such a kind offer - great customer service! (I really wasn't complaining!)

Cheers Nick,
Steve

I hope that customer is a member of this club :rofl :rofl

Re: Reviews New Club Partner Taylormade Memory Foam Mattress

Full Review Tailormade Lower Bed Topper.

The lower bed in the Cali is not the most comfortable of designs. There seems to be two common solutions used by Cali owners to resolve this issue to get a comfortable nights sleep.

The first is the Raskelf Duvalay which is a Memory Foam base with a Duvet top attached to it which is a great idea and very comfortable if not a bit expensive. The only problem with the Duvalay is that the lower bed is both a unusual size (200 x114 cm) and a unusual shape with a round corner at the back. Having said that Raskelf do make a tailor made Duvalay 60 cm wide two will fit the Cali roof bed. They may well also make a 114 cm wide Duvalay to fit the lower bed.

The second common solution is to use a memory foam mattress topper. The advantage being that if the topper is the right size and fits it will make the maximum use of the lower bed space.

Here we have a topper that has been tailor made to fit the Cali lower bed. It comes with a purpose made cover that can be washed, as the three memory foam sections can be easily remove from their zipped pockets. The other feature about this topper is that for stowage it folds flat (held flat by 3 straps) and will fit on the Cali rear shelf so takes minimum space when not in use.

Nick Wilmot, who produces the topper, owns a company called Comforts Pet Supplies. It is a small run family manufacturing business based in Chesterfield whose core business is wholesaling luxury pet products to pet shops and market traders around the country. Nick has now started manufacturing and supplying toppers for camper vans. I found him to be very approachable and he seemed very open to any new ideas which would improve his products.

007.jpg

The first impression after unwrapping the topper was that it is a very well made, quality item. Mine is a grey colour mattress topper and one of the first with the new dimensions to fit the rear shelf when folded. It also had the zip on the side that is away from the Cali's side units so as not to cause any marks.

The grey fire retardant cover is made from a hard wearing automotive fabric and is fully washable. The grey colour matched my Cali well although Nick cannot always get the same material and colour, it may be blue or black, and it will always be automotive quality.

The 2 inch memory foam inners were easily removed, then replaced, I numbered mine at the zip side to make sure I replaced them in the same pockets and orientation.

012.jpg

I liked the straps that hold the mattress in its flat stowage position and found that the topper sat nicely flat on top of the rear shelf.

004-1.jpg

Unfolded the mattress also fitted the lower bed well and it felt comfortable to lie on. The good thing about theses toppers is that you can camp with your standard bedding. I found a normal double size fitted sheet fits the topper well, and with a normal double size duvet this makes up a cosy lower bed.

037.jpg

So in conclusion I feel that the topper is good value at £119.99 ( £108 if you are a Club VIP member). Nick has produced a versatile very useful topper for the Cali lower bed which I highly recommend.

003-1.jpg

I would like to thank Calikev who first discovered Nick and his products. He came up with the idea for a tailor made topper for the Cali lower bed and then organised the discount for our club VIP members.

Finally I discussed with Nick the possibility of him producing memory foam toppers for the Cali roof bed. The dimensions of the roof bed are 120 x 200 cm so the idea is to produce two covered 1inch memory foam toppers of 60 x200 cm to fit the space. These again could be folded flat to store on your Cali rear shelf. If you are interested I will start a new post on the forum and if enough people are interested Nick will look into producing these as well.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1159&p=8068#p8068

John

You can contact Nick at Comforts Pet Supplies;

Telephone 01246 825873

email comfortzpets@aol

Web address comfortspetsupplies.co.uk

Thanks John pic's look great :thumb

That is a brilliant review for an excellent product.
I am certainly interested and would also be keen for a comparable roof bed topper (once I have the Cali).
Luke

great review John :clap

Thanks all for the positive feedback :D

John

exc ellent review john
and on the strength of it have ordered one of these toppers
thanks dave :p

Reviews New Club Partner Taylormade Memory Foam Mattress Top

Replacement topper arrived today (grey rather than black, plain unpatterned fabric, modified template). Replacement was offered by Nick + Comfortz unprompted - I was quite happy with the first topper. But I have to say this replacement is better - the fabric colour is a much better match to the existing mattress pad, and the new template sits perfectly on the parcel shelf when folded. And the zip is in the edge away from the cupboards, so no danger of scratching the units.

I agree with all of John's review. Does anyone need me to post more photos - John's show it in its full glory.

One thing to add - I probably won't be using the elasticated straps provided - the topper sits on the parcel shelf completely flat without them, and it will be easier to unfold without the straps on it

Reviews New Club Partner Taylormade Memory Foam Mattress Top

And ... Just to add ... Excellent customer service from Nick at Comfortz!

Thanks for the honest review John! and you're very welcome Steve!

I'm really happy with the end product now and will hopefully be developing some more additions soon.

Dave (inthemidnighthour) I have dropped you an email across giving you and update - can you just take a look please :thumb

Hi Nick

Emailed you about this but not sure I had the correct email address. I just wanted to ask if you can make the topper using a foam other than memory foam? I am after a high quality medium-firm foam but not memory foam. We used to have a normal mattress at home with a memory foam layer and always found it far too hot to sleep on comfortably.

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,

Sure not a problem at all, :thumb
I can't see the email though- it's.... comfortzpets@aol.com
If you have any issues give me a call - 01246 825873 - I'll not be back in until Monday now though.

:thanks
Nick

A few photos of the mattress topper in situ.

Folded on parcel shelf, head-rests down as far as they'll fold.

001.jpg

Folded on parcel shelf, head-rests up.

002.jpg

Folded on parcel shelf, showing how the 3 sections sit on the cut-out (the bottom section is cut out to sit flat round the rear light molding; the top two sections are shorter, and sit further back).

003.jpg

... and next to the cupboard.

004.jpg

Hi Folks,
I think we have cracked the roof bed toppers John recommended we manufacture :clap

The prototypes look excellent and I'm quite excited about getting them finished tomorrow.
I can confirm they'll come in their own matching zipped bags for extra protection!

I'll post some photo's tomorrow and get your feedback before asking Martin if we can place them in the VIP section.

:thanks

Nick

I am a new member and proud california owner...can you please send me the link via email to purchase a memory foam mattress for the roof bed.

cheers
Daz

Hi Daz welcome along
Now you are a VIP member if you go to the VIP lounge and look under Taylor made memory foam
Bed topper you will find a direct link to this offer :thumb
Cheers kev

Hi Nick
The mattress topper arrived friday and will be having its first road test this coming weekend.(review to follow :thumb )

can you let us know the cost for the zipped bag as we would like one

many thanks
dave

Just thought I would add to the already excellent reviews here.

I purchased a mattress topper from comfortzpets last week. However, since we generally get too hot on memory foam mattresses, we asked Nick if he could make one out of standard foam, just to add some more comfort to the rather hard seat cushions. Nick was amazingly helpful, said it was no problem and about 3 days later it was on my doorstep. I can't rate highly enough the level of customer service from Nick - almost certainly the best company I have ever dealt with over the net.

Anyway, last weekend was the first road test for the topper (and the first proper outing for the Cali). The weather was atrocious (gale force winds and torrential rain) but we both slept soundly on the mattress. We found it both comfortable and extremely well made.

Highly recommended to anyone thinking of purchasing a topper!

Mark

Thanks for your comments mark

Back