Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ride quality, Ocean T6 2017 204 DSG.

Jim O'Donovan

Jim O'Donovan

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi all
I have now put up 600 miles on my new baby and except for "white van man" almost removing my near side wing mirror, I have really enjoyed the experience.
But I have one gripe. The ride comfort is rather, err, uncomfortable. I have seen some old posts about this but wanted to put it out there to all the newish T6 owners about their experience.
Mine rides like a panel van which I know the California is, but I expected an almost refined VW car feel to it at the price I paid. Am I asking too much?
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Whilst ours is not quite the same model as yours, I agree that the ride could be smoother, but compared to our previous MH which was based on a ducato panel van our T6 is infinitely smoother quieter and more pleasant to drive. It is also has more get up and go, with a smaller engine and is returning more MPG.

Yes, they are a bit of a truck, Put a full load in it, fill fuel, water and 3 conscripts with max luggage allowance and it will ride a lot better!
Incidentally this will make the coasting function come into its own and fuel consumption may actually improve. Turn up the radio??
Seriously, hope this doesn't detract from the overall experience. It is what it is!

My 150 is very comfortable. Not as good as my Audi Avant but it is an upmarket van after all. Is it the suspension you do not like or seats?

My 150 is very comfortable. Not as good as my Audi Avant but it is an upmarket van after all. Is it the suspension you do not like or seats?
Yes, perhaps I am gone soft as I have an Audi Q5 which floats on air.
The seats are great, it's the rattles and bumps that are the issue. Not rattles from anything I have added, but the fabric of the van.

Hi all
I have now put up 600 miles on my new baby and except for "white van man" almost removing my near side wing mirror, I have really enjoyed the experience.
But I have one gripe. The ride comfort is rather, err, uncomfortable. I have seen some old posts about this but wanted to put it out there to all the newish T6 owners about their experience.
Mine rides like a panel van which I know the California is, but I expected an almost refined VW car feel to it at the price I paid. Am I asking too much?
Thanks in advance.
Jim
I find mine very comfortable. Me and a friend recently drove to Provence with only a 30 minute break, he has a range rover and cemented how comfy the van was, particularly the seats.

Hi Jim
I went for a drive yesterday and. My wife sat in the back and was unhappy as it is just like a van. I guess once loaded up it will be better. I mentioned this to Steve at cowfown vw and he said it's quite normal

Sounds obvious but I would check tyre pressures. Mine was delivered with tyre pressures for the smaller tyre size resulting in approx +10 all round. The ride improved massively once I lowered them to the correct level.

I have 18" wheels. What should the tyre pressures be I have read they are marked incorrectly inside door label

Sounds obvious but I would check tyre pressures. Mine was delivered with tyre pressures for the smaller tyre size resulting in approx +10 all round. The ride improved massively once I lowered them to the correct level.

I had exactly the same experience. Never had to put so much air in healthy tyres before - for a moment I thought i'd been hit with punctures all round!

The seats are great, it's the rattles and bumps that are the issue. Not rattles from anything I have added, but the fabric of the van.

We find the drive very smooth ,no rattles . Just a bit wallowy round bends.
The cali was replacement for my BMW.
The rear isn't the most comfortable place to be. Love driving in the front seat such a wonderful view around .

Have it lowered with the standard lowering kit. Fixes the wallowing.

Thanks Bramco

We have considered it but our drive is steep. The BMW used to ground on it.
Maybe if we ever move.
Simon wants a longer/bigger garage to build a small boat.

I have a 2017 204 Ocean DSG on 17" rims, really pleased with ride quality and cornering, no wallowing, but I did opt for the heavy duty springs and roll bars

I have 18" wheels. What should the tyre pressures be I have read they are marked incorrectly inside door label
Where did you read that? My garage has the exact same pressures on their computer as did the Dealership compared to the label.

An empty vehicle will seem harsher than a loaded vehicle. Personally, I have no complaints.

I would suggest checking the tyre pressures against those on the label in the first instance.

Well I have a 2016 Ocean and it drives like a dream, smooth and comfy. But my other car is a Toyota IQ and my husband drives a pick up. Perhaps you have been very spoilt in the recent past! Seriously though, I was amazed at the level of comfort and it doesn't feel like a 'van' to me at all.

Would agree that they ride better when loaded, but after all the chassis is a van designed to carry 3ton plus so it's bound to have harder suspension that a car. On motorways they are lovely and eat the miles!

The van will bed in I'm sure. Must admit mine has been quiet since collection but Liverpool did a good pre delivery prior to my pick up.

California as you wrote is a van. It is based on basic vw transporter. You can improve riding performance. But it always will ride like a van because California is a van, for me best riding comfort and best I ever owned. But riding characteristic is very individual. I also enjoy my small car seat Leon FR SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first impression when I picked mine up was that the suspension was very hard, I also have a T5.1 Caravelle that has done around 23k miles and compared to that I thought it was quite uncomfortable.
However on a longer run the suspension appeared to become more compliant and less jarring, so I concluded that it will improve with age.
Incidentally both vehicles are running on 18" rims and Continental Sport Contact 5 tyres.

Back