Rigid keys

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
On my Beach order, I specified 2 remote keys and 1 rigid key. This option was later deleted by VW, and my Beach came with 2 remote keys only. As the 1 rigid key was a free option, I didn't really feel that I had a case to demand a partial refund. Instead I ordered 2 rigid keys, one to keep as an emergency spare, and the other for swimming.

The other day, my wife used one of the rigid keys to open the van as she couldn't find her remote key, and the van's alarm went off, which I then deactivated with her remote key which was in my pocket :eek:.

I haven't investigated the matter - but does anyone know if the van's alarm goes off immediately when a rigid key is used, or is there time to get the key in the ignition before the alarm goes off?

As far as I am aware, the Rigid Key or " Surf Key " will immediately activate the vehicle alarm when the door is opened. Probably via the internal Volumetric/Movement alarm system. If the Internal Alarm is switched off it may not work straight away. Unless the VW Rigid Key contains any electronics, which I don't think it does, all it will do is open the vehicle you will need the remote to deactivate the alarm or start the vehicle.

Not sure if same on the Cali but on other cars I've had, including a Volvo we have at the mo, the 'key blade' (aka rigid or surf key) will not disable the alarm if it's been set.

As far as I am aware, the Rigid Key or " Surf Key " will immediately activate the vehicle alarm when the door is opened. Probably via the internal Volumetric/Movement alarm system. If the Internal Alarm is switched off it may not work straight away. Unless the VW Rigid Key contains any electronics, which I don't think it does, all it will do is open the vehicle you will need the remote to deactivate the alarm or start the vehicle.
Our rigid keys are chipped, have no remote control, but, bizarrely, have a light that activates when a button is depressed.
IMG_2362.JPG IMG_2363.JPG

Our rigid keys are chipped, have no remote control, but, bizarrely, have a light that activates when a button is depressed.
View attachment 19660 View attachment 19661
I think that is a light to find the Keyhole in the dark, maybe.
Would be surprised if the rigid key had the necessary electronics to disable the vehicle Alarm, and be a free Option.

I think that is a light to find the Keyhole in the dark, maybe.
Would be surprised if the rigid key had the necessary electronics to disable the vehicle Alarm, and be a free Option.
I had to pay the dealer for these keys. He said I could drive with them.

OK - lazy of me. I'll go outside and experiment: I'll report back in five minutes.

I'll report back in five minutes.
Alarm activates the moment the vehicle door is - oh bugger - I've forgotten: was it the moment I unlocked the door or the moment I opened the door!?

Alarm deactivates the moment the ignition is switched on.

The vehicle starts normally.

Alarm activates the moment the vehicle door is - oh bugger - I've forgotten: was it the moment I unlocked the door or the moment I opened the door!?

Alarm deactivates the moment the ignition is switched on.

The vehicle starts normally.
if you dont want to activate the alarm you could lock the car with the rigid key, this will lock the central locking..

if you dont want to activate the alarm you could lock the car with the rigid key, this will lock the central locking..
In that case, the rigid keys serve my purposes precisely as intended-
one rigid key to be used for swimming or similar activities
one rigid key to always be kept safe external to the vehicle for emergency use​

In that case, the rigid keys serve my purposes precisely as intended-
one rigid key to be used for swimming or similar activities
one rigid key to always be kept safe external to the vehicle for emergency use​
Ok, not the traditional " Surf Key" that doesn't need to be kept dry.

Does anyone have the various part numbers for the different keys. I really should get a surf key instead of hiding the keys behind one of the wheels. Actually pretty safe for me as it's a private windsurf club although you do get walkers about.

I asked our local dealer and the bozo's in spares sent me some diagrams with numbers on so I could figure it out myself, which of course wasn't possible. Great service... NOT

Anyone know what the numbers are?

Tom, I'm assuming you had to get yours chipped to the vehicle before they would work?

Ok, not the traditional " Surf Key" that doesn't need to be kept dry.
The dealer, who has proved to be remarkably accurate in the information he has given, told me that water won't affect the key. But what does seem surprising is that a key designed to get wet, has a light and therefore a power source. Unless properly engineered, the light will fail after a one or more swims.

Does anyone have the various part numbers for the different keys. I really should get a surf key instead of hiding the keys behind one of the wheels. Actually pretty safe for me as it's a private windsurf club although you do get walkers about.

I asked our local dealer and the bozo's in spares sent me some diagrams with numbers on so I could figure it out myself, which of course wasn't possible. Great service... NOT

Tom, I'm assuming you had to get yours chipped to the vehicle before they would work?

I just got a blank key cut from Timpsons, cost £10 all in.

To be clear it just opens the door, it doesn't let you drive, or turn the alarm off :)

The dealer, who has proved to be remarkably accurate in the information he has given, told me that water won't affect the key. But what does seem surprising is that a key designed to get wet, has a light and therefore a power source. Unless properly engineered, the light will fail after a one or more swims.

But until then you'll be able to see underwater. Clever old VW they think of everything.

Seriously though if you do take it in the sea I'd still put it in a waterproof container anyway. You can bet it will rust to bits after a couple of dips otherwise.

But presumably you'll then have to leave your 'real' electronic key inside the van when you go swimming?

There was a whole thread on that, last year:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-to-do-with-keys-when-surfing.15198/

But until then you'll be able to see underwater. Clever old VW they think of everything.

Seriously though if you do take it in the sea I'd still put it in a waterproof container anyway. You can bet it will rust to bits after a couple of dips otherwise.

But presumably you'll then have to leave your 'real' electronic key inside the van when you go swimming?

There was a whole thread on that, last year:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-to-do-with-keys-when-surfing.15198/
If I recall the bottom line was that a Cali owner hid his key and the Cali was stolen using the key whilst he was surfing. Then the insurance refused to cough up, so I'm very wary of hiding keys.

If I recall the bottom line was that a Cali owner hid his key and the Cali was stolen using the key whilst he was surfing. Then the insurance refused to cough up, so I'm very wary of hiding keys.
I'll have to do my own risk assessments based on the various options:
  1. swimming with a remote key in a waterproof pouch
  2. swimming with a rigid chipped key in a waterproof pouch, and with a remote key locked in the van
  3. swimming with a surfers' key and a remote key locked in the van
  4. swimming without a key, and a remote key hidden externally
  5. swimming without a key, a rigid chipped key hidden externally and remote key locked in the van
  6. swimming without a key, a surfers' key hidden externally and a remote key locked in the van
Options 1, 4 & 5 seem the highest risk; options 2, 3 & 6 the lowest risk.

On my former Touran, the alarm went of straight away when entering the passengers door. When entering the driverside, there was a delay in about 20 sek. I used a aftermarked key with no chip.

We dont have chipless keys for the T6, so now I use a Aquapac (for a phone) or a keypod when surfing.

I'll have to do my own risk assessments based on the various options:
  1. swimming with a remote key in a waterproof pouch
  2. swimming with a rigid chipped key in a waterproof pouch, and with a remote key locked in the van
  3. swimming with a surfers' key and a remote key locked in the van
  4. swimming without a key, and a remote key hidden externally
  5. swimming without a key, a rigid chipped key hidden externally and remote key locked in the van
  6. swimming without a key, a surfers' key hidden externally and a remote key locked in the van
Options 1, 4 & 5 seem the highest risk; options 2, 3 & 6 the lowest risk.

Well it depends on what's important to you, but risk has two factors: likelihood and severity of consequence :Grin . Options 2, 3 and 6 are what many would view as high risk (probably low probability of someone breaking into your van and driving it off using the stashed key, but very high consequence if it happens, ie uninsured loss of a £50k Cali)...

With option 1 the worst that can happen is you get locked out of your van and have to sit with teeth chattering and kids screaming for the AA. Okay, I see what you mean... HIGH risk.:eek:

I had one made that only opens the door and witch it is NOT possible to start the verhicle with.
Made thru my VW dealer by using the VIN-number orderd in the factory.

Doesn't the rigid chipped key just turn into a surfers key once you've dipped it in the sea? The electronics in it will fail but you will still be left with a key that operates the door locks.

There is a sort of halfway house, leave just the electronic part of a remote key in the van with no blade & use a surfers key to lock the doors & operate the ignition switch.

Any one looking to steal the van then still has to break the steering lock & hotwire it. the only assistance the electronic part of the key gives them if they find it is removing the immobiliser & silencing the alarm.

The problem with hiding the key when out on the briney is that the bad boys know here the surfers park up and just watch out for keys being hidden, then wait until you're well off shore and help themselves.

Here's some info
IMG_0901.PNG

Well it depends on what's important to you, but risk has two factors: likelihood and severity of consequence :Grin . Options 2, 3 and 6 are what many would view as high risk (probably low probability of someone breaking into your van and driving it off using the stashed key, but very high consequence if it happens, ie uninsured loss of a £50k Cali)...

With option 1 the worst that can happen is you get locked out of your van and have to sit with teeth chattering and kids screaming for the AA. Okay, I see what you mean... HIGH risk.:eek:
I would expect the insurance companies to use a modicum of common sense here. If a family are touring and decide to go swimming, then so long as they have taken reasonable precautions to secure their vehicle they would be covered. And if the insurance company does try it on by refusing a claim because they didn't follow the letter of the policy, the insured can turn to the courts who in turn would ask the hypothetical 'man on the Clapham omnibus' if the insurance company is being reasonable.

On my former Touran, the alarm went of straight away when entering the passengers door. When entering the driverside, there was a delay in about 20 sek. I used a aftermarked key with no chip.

We dont have chipless keys for the T6, so now I use a Aquapac (for a phone) or a keypod when surfing.

@GillianC why do you disagree on my post?

I would expect the insurance companies to use a modicum of common sense here. If a family are touring and decide to go swimming, then so long as they have taken reasonable precautions to secure their vehicle they would be covered. And if the insurance company does try it on by refusing a claim because they didn't follow the letter of the policy, the insured can turn to the courts who in turn would ask the hypothetical 'man on the Clapham omnibus' if the insurance company is being reasonable.

I remember a case in Denmark, where a guy got his car stolen. The key was stated in his back located on the beach. The area was full of people and backs, but some dude had keept his eyes on this guy, and stole the keys out of the bag. The car was gone and on first attempt the insurance refused to cover the loss. But the story ended with the insurance to pay.

A similar case was a couple who had a burglar in the house. He stole the keys for the second car, that was placed on the kitchen table. And of he went. Same story, insurance refuses but ends up paying.

I do not know the exact details. But it is my guess that @Amarillo is right here.