Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS 810 Sat Nav - 2nd Hand Value?

mikecr

mikecr

Hi all,

I’m contemplating upgrading the RNS810 fitted to my 2011 Cali for a Kenwood DNX525DAB. We’ve gone a few years without DAB or Bluetooth connectivity and an upcoming 3 week trip to the continent is providing the catalyst for an upgrade.

Having read through the forums as best I can, there really does seem the be a wide range of opinions from ‘excellent’ to ‘don’t bother’.

So I have a couple of questions to help me decide;

1) Is it worth it?

2) Is it a straight forward DIY fit (providing I get the correct cabling for the MFSW etc, as I am reasonably competent at this sort of thing)?

3) Is there a 2nd hand market / value for the old (much loved) RNS 810 to offset my new unit cost?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Hi all,

I’m contemplating upgrading the RNS810 fitted to my 2011 Cali for a Kenwood DNX525DAB. We’ve gone a few years without DAB or Bluetooth connectivity and an upcoming 3 week trip to the continent is providing the catalyst for an upgrade.

Having read through the forums as best I can, there really does seem the be a wide range of opinions from ‘excellent’ to ‘don’t bother’.

1) Is it worth it?

2) Is it a straight forward DIY fit (providing I get the correct cabling for the MFSW etc, as I am reasonably competent at this sort of thing)?

3) Is there a 2nd hand market / value for the old (much loved) RNS 810 to offset my new unit cost?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Hey Mike,

The DNX525DAB has been superseded with the DNX516DAB

1) Depends on your point of view! I upgraded to the DN516DAB, mostly for Apple CarPlay.

2) Yes, super simple

3) It'll be a RNS510, if it has DAB it's worth more, can't say what's it's worth.

Rich

Hi all,

1) Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Is it an RNS 510? Never heard of an 810.

Upgraded from a non-standard cheapo sat-nav unit to a Pioneer Avic-F88DAB.

1). Yes, it was worth it to me. Primary reason to change was because I wanted DAB and Apple CarPlay. Both worth exactly like I'd want. If I had to chose again, I'd go for the cheapest decent branded unit offering these two functions...by having CarPlay, I don't really use the sat nav of the unit itself but use my phone instead.

2) Yes, easy enough. Buy a trim removal tool set off amazon if you don't have one (got mine for £10). You will probably need to mount the DAB aerial, which involves removing the A pillar trim.

3). Quick search of sold items on ebay suggest around £250 for a 2nd hand 510 (assume it is the 510).

Whatever you do, don't switch on the ignition to test the new unit with the dash hanging out. It sets the airbag warning light.

Happy to share my experiences of when I did it.....just PM me.

Cheers

Much appreciated all....... yes it is a 510....... (you’d think after having the van 7 years, I’d know by now.....:talktothehand)

I see I would need a new DAB aerial.

Would I also need to replace the existing hands free microphone?

Does the DNX come with all required cables for plug & play?

Any recommendations on where to buy?

Thanks again!

Much appreciated all....... yes it is a 510....... (you’d think after having the van 7 years, I’d know by now.....:talktothehand)

I see I would need a new DAB aerial.

Would I also need to replace the existing hands free microphone?

Does the DNX come with all required cables for plug & play?

Any recommendations on where to buy?

Thanks again!

DAB aerial is included, though I had a factory VW already and managed to source an adapter to use my VW one, otherwise you just stick the supplied on to the window.

It comes with everything you need, you can't use your existing mic, one is supplied and I installed it next to the rear view mirror.

Unless you're interested in doing the job, I'd order from somewhere who'll fit it for free, it's not a hard job but still it's a job.

Make sure you're not buying the DNX525DAB as this is an old unit / slow, the DNX516DAB is much improved.

Where about's are you based?

DAB aerial is included, though I had a factory VW already and managed to source an adapter to use my VW one, otherwise you just stick the supplied on to the window.

It comes with everything you need, you can't use your existing mic, one is supplied and I installed it next to the rear view mirror.

Unless you're interested in doing the job, I'd order from somewhere who'll fit it for free, it's not a hard job but still it's a job.

Make sure you're not buying the DNX525DAB as this is an old unit / slow, the DNX516DAB is much improved.

Where about's are you based?
I’m in Aberdeen, and yes you’re right, it’s a job........but I like that sort of thing :thumb

One last one........promise......

How does the DNX516DAB compare to the Pioneer AVIC-F88DAB?

One last one........promise......

How does the DNX516DAB compare to the Pioneer AVIC-F88DAB?

I have both, Kenwood in the Cali, Pioneer in the Golf.

The Pioneer is classier, better interface and sound, more reliable.

The Kenwood is newer and integrates perfectly as it’s make for VW, the UI is not the best, customer support is terrible.

I used CarPlay on both 90% of the time, they both work well in this regard.

I’m happy with my choices, I probably wouldn’t buy a brand new F88DAB now as it’s around 2-3 years old (a lifetime)

If you want some great and friendly advice and are going to fit yourself then give Jason at Absolut5 Audio a call, he knows all this inside out and will supply you all the correct adaptors / facials / converters. All they do are T5 / T6’s, I’m not affliated in anyway just heard of Jason via another forum and spoke to him a few times.

If you want some great and friendly advice and are going to fit yourself then give Jason at Absolut5 Audio a call, he knows all this inside out and will supply you all the correct adaptors / facials / converters.

+1 for Jason.

I brought my Pioneer from him. It wasn't as cheap as online, but he did all the connections for me in advance. With the pioneer, it can fit a variety of vehicles so you have to pick and choose your wiring setup. By Jason doing it for me before he shipped it, I just plugged the unit straight in. I also called him a couple of times and he couldn't have been more helpful. Saved myself a lot of time / frustration by going through him.

I felt it was worth paying extra to both support the independent guy and get customer service that was second to none.

Also, for info, Pioneer updated the firmware last year, which improved things. Still a unit that's two years old, but I think it's cheaper now than when I got it. Not sure how it compares to the Kenwood price.

Many many thanks all

I guess functionality is the same across the units, but I prefer the look of the Pioneer.........so I’ll give Absolut5 a shout tomorrow.

Back