Road noise dampening in the cabin.

Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
During my search for a camper van the first thing I drove was a Caravelle. Compared to transit panel vans I have driven before I found it quiet and with a small amount of research it soon became obvious why.
But that research was not carried out until after I drove the Ford terrier camper van fitted out by 'well house'.

That was extremely noisy in comparison to the Caravelle so I did the research. Then, some time later I found a hired T6 California to be as quiet as the Caravelle from memory. Thats when my research was completed regarding the way the noise is insulated. By that I don't mean I know how its all set up, just that it uses the same standard as the caravelle at the base.

So it's worth noting that conversions done by enthusiastic amateurs and after market companies will depend on the individual standards. The ford was awful in comparison to the VW such that talking to passengers in the rear in sub 30MPH traffic was difficult and taking a generous view of Mercedes I can't imagine they will have suffered the same fate.
Food for thought for curious potential buyers....

if you want noisy try a t5 panel van, caravelle & california's have an extra set of door seals which make a surprisingly large difference.

Never mind the road noise its the rattles that you'll hear, I spend a lot of time hunting them down.

Back