Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road Tax Change For The Better?

Simon1

Simon1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Am I right in thinking the government have scrapped the extortionate road tax brought in, in 2017 for new motorhomes which was about 2K for the first year and then £460 odd quid each year for the next 4 years? As far as I understand it as of 11th March 2020 it is now £165 per year for a new motorhome over 3500KG. On the road tax gov web site it says nothing about any extra fees for the first year but on the order form from someone on this forum who has ordered a GC680 there is a £2K odd first road licence fee. I also believe any van registered before the change is saddled with this tax for the duration! Anyone know any different?

Am I right in thinking the government have scrapped the extortionate road tax brought in, in 2017 for new motorhomes which was about 2K for the first year and then £460 odd quid each year for the next 4 years? As far as I understand it as of 11th March 2020 it is now £165 per year for a new motorhome over 3500KG. On the road tax gov web site it says nothing about any extra fees for the first year but on the order form from someone on this forum who has ordered a GC680 there is a £2K odd first road licence fee. I also believe any van registered before the change is saddled with this tax for the duration! Anyone know any different?
If you are referring to the T6.1 California, then there will be No Change as it is classed as a M1 Diesel Car, Body Type MPV, ( Multi Purpose Vehicle ).
The Grand California is Classed as N1 Commercial Vehicle Body Type Motorhome. This vehicle will benefit from the Tax Change, as Far as I can see.

Yep cheaper to tax a Grand than a standard!

i think that’s mine. It shows as 2k but I will benefit from the cheaper price once’s it’s registered

It's quite a saving initially and over the first five years! Leaves more money for some essential options.

Paid for my Grand California 680 yesterday picking it up Friday. The road tax is £2175 first year, VW have tax class the GC as a Diesel Car, I was under the impression it was a motorhome and was expecting to pay £165 we have complained to VW customer care and waiting to here back. VW commercials Birmingham know nothing of the government budget to scrap the extortionate road tax on motorhomes.

If you are referring to the T6.1 California, then there will be No Change as it is classed as a M1 Diesel Car, Body Type MPV, ( Multi Purpose Vehicle ).
The Grand California is Classed as N1 Commercial Vehicle Body Type Motorhome. This vehicle will benefit from the Tax Change, as Far as I can see.
No, GC classed as M1 diesel car

Paid for my Grand California 680 yesterday picking it up Friday. The road tax is £2175 first year, VW have tax class the GC as a Diesel Car, I was under the impression it was a motorhome and was expecting to pay £165 we have complained to VW customer care and waiting to here back. VW commercials Birmingham know nothing of the government budget to scrap the extortionate road tax on motorhomes.
Did you manage to get a refund?

Did you manage to get a refund?
Hi Breeze, only found out this week when the final bill came. We questioned it with VW Birmingham, who know nothing about motorhome road tax even though they sell campervans and motorhomes. Lodged the complaint with VW customer care yesterday, still waiting to hear back.

Should be £988 OTR which includes 1st year road tax, it says it in their own price list! Your dealer must be incompetent if they can't even acknowledge that. I'm going to buy from Autoebid , they do a reverse auction with all the VW dealers in the country with the lowest price being offered, saved about £4K on my golf about 8 years ago!

No, GC classed as M1 diesel car
Maybe, but I wouldn't bank on the Dealership getting it right. When was the vehicle actually registered?

Morning TMQ,

Pleased it turned out as it should have. Mine is still somewhere in Germany.

Incidentally when you get around to it does your information screen advise upon gas level. Or under the small seats by the Truma dose the Truma control have printed on it CP Plus iNet.

Have fun going through it and you may wish to change your status.

Take care.

daz60

I forgot to ask, have you got 3 pin uk sockets.

daz60

I forgot to ask, have you got 3 pin uk sockets.
Hi Breeze1, all sockets are UK, will check on gas level and Truma control later today.

Morning Daz 60,

Brilliant, As my first one came with Euro sockets.thanks for the feed back,
Im hoping the Truma relays gas levels back to the control panel, would make sense as they monitor every thing else.