Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road Tax - Corona

Harvey John

Harvey John

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I picked up my dream California Beach a few months ago. I am twitching to tour in it, but realise that is now not likely possible, for many months, due to the Corona virus. Should I just SORN it now, as the Road tax is a whopping £1280?

I picked up my dream California Beach a few months ago. I am twitching to tour in it, but realise that is now not likely possible, for many months, due to the Corona virus. Should I just SORN it now, as the Road tax is a whopping £1280?
Did you only tax it for 6 months initially? I have just made my first renewal (12 months old). And it was £465.

I think you only get refunds based on the second year rate ie £40.69 a month.

You raise an interesting question. Something I hadn't thought about and am therefore lacking an answer.

You'd need to inform your insurance company of course and that may involve some expense due to it being a mid term adjustment. Also when you re-tax it would you pay for a full year at the much cheaper second year rate? If that were the case then what's to stop people buying an expensive new car with the sky high VED on first registration, then sorning it after only a week or two, thereby getting a hefty refund? Subsequently re-taxing it after a short break could save the owner alot of cash. However, I somehow doubt if things work like that as it would amount to Tax Evasion? Wiggly Woo in his/her above post may have provided the answer.

Also, I believe that the government are planing to increase VED rates in line with the RPI from April 1st.

Last edited:
@Borris i think the best reason to phone your insurance company would be to tell them that your annual mileage prediction is now zero and can you have a refund. :thumb

@Borris i think the best reason to phone your insurance company would be to tell them that your annual mileage prediction is now zero and can you have a refund. :thumb
Some Insurance companies require the vehicle to have VED and MOT Certificate if applicable, so best to advise them just to ensure that they continue cover.

Only full Calendar Months of VED cost is refunded.

I'd assume that First year uplift portion of VED would not be refunded nor any part of it. Just too difficult to administer.
I'd base any refund calculation on second year rate divided by 12 and multiplied by the number of full Calendar Months remaining.

just a guide/thought.

Some Insurance companies require the vehicle to have VED and MOT Certificate if applicable, so best to advise them just to ensure that they continue cover.

Only full Calendar Months of VED cost is refunded.

I'd assume that First year uplift portion of VED would not be refunded nor any part of it. Just too difficult to administer.
I'd base any refund calculation on second year rate divided by 12 and multiplied by the number of full Calendar Months remaining.

just a guide/thought.
That would make sense. :thumb

Did you only tax it for 6 months initially? I have just made my first renewal (12 months old). And it was £465.
Just renewed mine. £235 for 12 months. 1st registered March 2017 just before the imposition of the £40k cost price tax surcharge in April 2017

If it was taxed on the fuel then no bother eh, most punitive tax ever.
That would great, particularly at the moment when no one is going anywhere! I’d vote for it anyway as my company pays for all my fuel. I pay tax on it but I would still be better off.

Thanks everyone for your advice/thoughts.
I was thinking I'd get 8/12th's of £1280 refunded, and now you have pointed out that it'll be based on the 2nd year tax. I'd like to keep it taxed, in the hope that the virus calms down and we will be free to travel soon. My plan was to go to the Highlands & Islands which is at present a no-go zone for campers. It looks like it will be this way for months. mmmmm... got tomorrow to decide. thanks again!

As a 5 car family I'm going to Sorn 3 of them & just leave the Cali + the UP! taxed. Cali because there is nothing that it cant do that any of the others do, & the UP! as both my oldest children are still going to work & its the only car they are insured on.
The "toys" & the wifes car I cant see being used for months so I might as well cash them in.

Wow, 5 cars. I’m surprised you haven’t had a personal visit from Greta. Good move.

Wow, 5 cars. I’m surprised you haven’t had a personal visit from Greta. Good move.
Theres 4 of us with licences & one supposed to start learning in 2 weeks time, so 1 car for the kids, 1 for the wife & 3 for me sounds reasonable to me.

I've decided to SORN mine. I live in a tourist area and I'm concerned that it may get vandalised whilst I'm in the Co op.

I've just gone for SORN. There is the possibility of months of inaction and no vehicle movement.
I'm not quite like andyinluton, but can rely on my classic 43 year old Scimitar in an emergency (£0 VED; £80 classic car insurance) or, at a pinch, my 24 year old 125 cc Yamaha motorbike (£17 VED; £90 "Golden oldie" insurance) which is a hangover from my "big motor home" days.Then there's the daily driver, my 17 year old Fabia (modded and quick) £150 VED and £280 insurance. And Greta can take a flying leap into the wide blue yonder; just think of the energy I have saved (not to mention the money!) by not buying a brand new Range Rover every year. The Scimitar and Fabia have their own clubs like California, so I can stay connected with a good cross section of society which will hopefully prevent me from going completely nuts in these trying times.

Put it on bricks and take the wheels off? Does that qualify?
No, parked on a Public Highway. Could get clamped!! (how would be interesting and taken away for disposal.

Put it on bricks and take the wheels off? Does that qualify?
I wonder how far off the ground it would have to be to qualify :)

Maybe we need a new category, SNUN Statutory Not Used Notification so we can declare not used for 3 months.

Maybe we need a new category, SNUN Statutory Not Used Notification so we can declare not used for 3 months.
Might stretch to 6 months, warnings of tyre deterioration and being a VW fuel and Adblue disclaimers for Emission faults.

Phew! I thought for a minute that you were suggesting a new religious order!