Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

road tax from April 2017

C

caliblue

caliblue
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Why are California Oceans taxed differently from all other van converters?
e.g. 150PS engine- £500 per year for 5 years
Whereas a converted camper van e.g. Bilbos is only £245 per year.
It appears the California camper is the only camper taxed at this extortionate rate.
Comments please.

Why are California Oceans taxed differently from all other van converters?
e.g. 150PS engine- £500 per year for 5 years
Whereas a converted camper van e.g. Bilbos is only £245 per year.
It appears the California camper is the only camper taxed at this extortionate rate.
Comments please.
Isn't it to do with the purchase price of the cali being over £40,000?

Isn't it to do with the purchase price of the cali being over £40,000?

Exactly this. You've got 3 choices.

1. Stump up the outrageous surcharge to the government.
2. Buy an Ocean registered before April 2017 (mine is March 2017 and is £220).
3. Buy something else!

500 is cheap for the first year for a diesel ... 1200 for the petrol !

there was loads of discussion about the tax increases for anything over 40K last year and a mad rust to order and get on the road before this change.

Might be wrong but is it not because the Cali is registered as a car rather than a van conversion. Bilbos buy vans and convert is my understanding though I may be way off.

No, it'll be the list price. Most vans for conversion are listed less than 40k, so incur rfl at the lower rate.

When Bilbos register the van they do not enter a co2 figure therefore it is taxed as PLG.

I think as Jay said, you buy the van, then the conversion. When I went to both Bilbo's and Autohouse it was the same procedure. choose the base vehicle, buy it, then choose the conversion.

As said above, the value of the base vans used for conversions are well under the £40k threshold. Bear in mind most are 102PS versions with a relatively sparse specification (air con being usually the most posh bit of kit) too. I do think VW have missed an opportunity letting the price of even a basic Beach go north of £40k now though, there's no longer a cheap way into Cali ownership if you want to spec it yourself, only the limited pool of used ones.

Ouch... hefty tax on a new one + £500/year then. Might be a reason for me to consider second hand then (i'm currently deciding on what to get)

Only 500 for the first year ... 350 for the following four years .

As said above, the value of the base vans used for conversions are well under the £40k threshold. Bear in mind most are 102PS versions with a relatively sparse specification (air con being usually the most posh bit of kit) too. I do think VW have missed an opportunity letting the price of even a basic Beach go north of £40k now though, there's no longer a cheap way into Cali ownership if you want to spec it yourself, only the limited pool of used ones.

I've got a 66 plate 150 Highline, so pretty high spec & new with ac, cruise, etc. It was £27k+VAT list, so well under the 40k.

I just specced up my ideal non-Cali on the configurator: 150 DSG Highline Kombi SWB in Indium Grey metallic with LED lights, parking heater, ACC, side scan, reversing camera, heated seats and a few other bells and whistles. It was a tad over £43k including VAT.

I only have folding wing mirrors! (-:

The convertors I talked to pre buying advised me to buy the panel van, whereas I was going to buy the kombi. Amazing the options add up so much.

Yes, sadly VW have now achieved an amazing level of skill in getting people to part with money for options. It makes what BMW and Mercedes were doing in the 80s look like amateur hour. The cynical part of me hates them for it. For example they'll give you headlights that are barely OK but no matter, stump up £1700 and you can have great LED lights. Even worse is that damn system where you can have option w, but you must also have option x too. And to have option x, you've got to have option y and z too.

Land Rover are the same every option now a extra on top. I specced up a Beach a few days ago came to £52K on the road tempted but the road tax has put me off, I was told by dealer..

"The Government rules are that the £500 is there for the first 5 years then goes down to £350 after the 5 years"

Last edited:
Land Rover are the same every option now a extra on top. I specced up a Beach a few days ago came to £52K on the road tempted but the road tax has put me off, I was told by dealer..

"The Government rules are that the £500 is there for the first 5 years then goes down to £350 after the 5 years"
Don't think that is correct, after 5 years it goes down to £140.

I was under the impression it is £500 first year, £450 second year and £140 thereafter.....I must check this out!!!

£500 first year then down to £350 for next 5 then £150 or whatever by then.

I was under the impression it is £500 first year, £450 second year and £140 thereafter.....I must check this out!!!
Some Cali's engine and transmission puts them into £800 first year category. Need to check the Co2 figure to find which rate applies.

Oh dear it is 450 for 5 years for me! It depends on emissions it is indeed 140 a year after first year but for first 5 years an additional £310 for anything over 40k value and this figure varies up and down depending on emissions

In five years these vehicles paying only £150 tax are going to be highly sort after.
Not really as they will be 5 years old and if anyone thinks that the Government will keep the tax rate at £150 by then they are in for a disappointment.
The reason for the 2017 VED rate change was due to not getting enough revenue from the previous VED change.
Current figures would only be up to £75 difference per year, not a major purchase factor.

Not really as they will be 5 years old and if anyone thinks that the Government will keep the tax rate at £150 by then they are in for a disappointment.
The reason for the 2017 VED rate change was due to not getting enough revenue from the previous VED change.
Current figures would only be up to £75 difference per year, not a major purchase factor.
Ah but in relative terms in 5 years time the VED on post April 2017 Californias should be around say £200-250. Compared to pre April 2017 Californias whose road tax could be a lot higher. I got to cling to this hope as I just missed the cut in March this year. But being the eternal pessimist it will probably be the case that after 5 years no one will want to buy my diesel as everyone will want only the electric only version.

Back