Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road trip

apatchee

apatchee

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

So how many T4 Cali owners still take their T4's on road trips round France from the UK,
I'm on the look out for a T4 Cali for trips abroad.
Wondering how the earlier non turbo versions handle long trips?

Thanks
Andy

You'll find a bunch of T4 owners on the forum take T4s on road trips to France. Myself included. Any T4 Westy would be capable of such a journey regardless of engine size as long as it was well maintained. Ultimately it comes down to your expectations of the vehicle. The 2.4D will require a bit of stirring in the gears if you head to the Alps or other mountainous region. The 2.5 - 102 or 150bhp still like to rev when climbing stuff but will cruise more effortlessly. Realistically it comes down to your budget at the end of the day.

If you can afford 2.5tdi with aircon buy one,the difference is worthat every penny and you will have yours money back when you sell.

Yeah unfortunately my budget will not stretch to a newer T4 Cali, so have been looking at buses with the 2.4 Diesel engine from the early 90's.
I use to own a T2 Westy so am use to working the gears on climbs, had to part with it to buy a house tho!

Nothing wrong with the 2.4D. As with any vehicle it's more than likely up to the job as long as it has been looked after. These can be boosted with aftermarket turbos. I'm not sure by how much and whether it's worth the extra expense. Beyond the engine considerations though you want to find something that's got solid and original bodywork. The T4 can be prone to rust on wheel arches and some seams. As a one time T25 owner you'll probably know the kind of thing.

Nothing wrong with the 2.4D. As with any vehicle it's more than likely up to the job as long as it has been looked after. These can be boosted with aftermarket turbos. I'm not sure by how much and whether it's worth the extra expense. Beyond the engine considerations though you want to find something that's got solid and original bodywork. The T4 can be prone to rust on wheel arches and some seams. As a one time T25 owner you'll probably know the kind of thing.

Apols. Not a T25. :(

You'll find a bunch of T4 owners on the forum take T4s on road trips to France. Myself included. Any T4 Westy would be capable of such a journey regardless of engine size as long as it was well maintained. Ultimately it comes down to your expectations of the vehicle. The 2.4D will require a bit of stirring in the gears if you head to the Alps or other mountainous region. The 2.5 - 102 or 150bhp still like to rev when climbing stuff but will cruise more effortlessly. Realistically it comes down to your budget at the end of the day.
Thanks for the advice.
So are all T4 Cali's Left hand drive?
I suppose it doesn't take long to get use to driving a left hander in U.K. Roads.

Yep. That's right. There are only a few ocassions it's not that convenient but that feeling of 'going on holiday' even when you're just driving to the supermarket can't be beaten. You can buy RHD T4 campers but they're mostly Bilbos or Autosleepers. Both are a bit more 'caravan' in their interior styling.

Used our normally aspirated T4 for numerous trans Euro blasts. Never missed a beat. Just keep the right foot buried and bask in the indestructiblity.

After several months you won't even notice it's a left hooker.

Hellow

Our van is a '91 2.4D with >330.000 km; it drives like.... in 1991 and that's fine by me. We have it for four years now and did over 60.000 holliday kms (37.000 mls) in those 4 years including the Alps, Massif Central, Pyrenees, Corsica, Apennines, Reschenpass. Just take it easy and don't let the engine run too hot.
Sometimes you're as fast (or ever faster) than a modern, big white motorhome with a powerfull engine and a weight almost twice a t4 ;)
If you find a top vehicle (engine, body; the interiour is almost indestructable), it will give you a top holliday!
And like mentioned in the posts above: a 2.4D will require a bit of stirring in the gears and keep the right foot buried :)
Happy hunting!

Greetz
Calibusje

That's great the 2.4's are good on long hauls!
Has anybody manage to replace lap belt on the bench seat to a 3 point seat belt?
Ive got two young children who need car seats.

Thanks

That's great the 2.4's are good on long hauls!
Has anybody manage to replace lap belt on the bench seat to a 3 point seat belt?
Ive got two young children who need car seats.

Thanks
Not sure what the setup on the earlier bench seat belts is but our 2001 has three point belts for both passengers. Based on this I would imagine it's possible.

I agree, it could work; you could check it out on a younger t4 westfalia vehicle. The place where you fasten the belt above, is in the high closet. The belt does come through the cupboard above the bench and therefore it could mean that you have to make a cut-out in that closet.
I think from 1995 (cactus pattern upholstery) the rear seat bench usual has two three point automatic safety belts. Before: some do have two 3 point seat belts... but certainly not all.
I don't know if anyone here did this transformation before. We travel with an almost 3 years old girl and until now, one 3 point seat belt is sufficient ;)

Greetings
Calibusje

I agree, it could work; you could check it out on a younger t4 westfalia vehicle. The place where you fasten the belt above, is in the high closet. The belt does come through the cupboard above the bench and therefore it could mean that you have to make a cut-out in that closet.
I think from 1995 (cactus pattern upholstery) the rear seat bench usual has two three point automatic safety belts. Before: some do have two 3 point seat belts... but certainly not all.
I don't know if anyone here did this transformation before. We travel with an almost 3 years old girl and until now, one 3 point seat belt is sufficient ;)

Greetings
Calibusje
Thanks for the advice!

Back