Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roll-Out Awning - How useful and how often...

B

BillyBain

VIP Member
After much deliberation we just put a deposit on an ex-demo California. The van is as close to the spec we could get for our budegt but it has no awning.

So the question is for mainly UK trips is it worth having and are there any benefits in not having it (noise / fuel consumption etc). I expect we'll often take a small tent awning anyway as we have a load of stuff to store such as baby seats so I'm wondering if we'll actually use the pull-out very often.

To have the VW awning fitted it will cost just under £400.

How many times a year do you use your awning..??

I use mine every time I can it really is nice to sit under and when I attach the sides it
Creates a great space :thumb would not be without it

Our van doesn't have an awning and I would be fibbing if I said our thread-on and peg-out khyam jobbie was a fully comparable alternative, even if it is a good bit of kit in its own right. If we could afford it, I would have an awning tomorrow (but the new bathroom got the cash, so that's that plan scuppered). If we had one, I have no doubt we would use it all the time. If you have the choice, go for it, you will only know what you are missing if you don't.

every time we overnight the awning always goes out, sometimes only a metre but it keeps the rain from the sliding door when opening/closing it, and hence keeps the inside cleaner.Gives you a chance to sort yourself out before entering the van if it is raining.Also very handy to dry items on,if its raining, as things can be hung on the folding bars under the canopy.
But dont forget the bike rack is the best towel rail ever ! :lol:

Cant comment on the fuel consumption as never been without the awning.

Did rattle when first had the cali but now give the awning an extra tighten with the handle and now no noise

dave and lisa :crazy

Great for sitting under with a glass of wine taking in the view.

Great for drying the dogs under in the rain before they get back in the van.

Also use mine as a temporary workshop cover out on the drive.

With awning sides, it gives a great sense of space and privacy.

A very flexible item for the cali that I personally wouldn't be without.

Enjoy!

P

Combined with the awning side panels its an essential accessory, can double your living space within a matter of minutes

We've just aken ownership of an '07 Cali with the side awning! You're all talking about having them ou in the rain but how much 'weather' can they stand? I know te legs need pegging but I still feel that it is quite flimsy so woud not feel comortable having it out if it was windy!!

H
x

helingbury said:
We've just aken ownership of an '07 Cali with the side awning! You're all talking about having them ou in the rain but how much 'weather' can they stand? I know te legs need pegging but I still feel that it is quite flimsy so woud not feel comortable having it out if it was windy!!

H
x

If you leave it out in bad weather you need to use at least guys ropes to hold it down or proper awning tie downs. If they get caught in the wind I think they will do untold damage !!

To have the VW awning fitted it will cost just under £400.

A good price as they are £699 to buy from Omnistor !!

Go for it if you can afford it. Also may help sell it should you ever need to sell the cali.

thanks for all the replies, very convincing so looks like I'll be adding the awning. I think probably a black one on a grey van...

BillyBain said:
thanks for all the replies, very convincing so looks like I'll be adding the awning. I think probably a black one on a grey van...

black awning with the grey looks good BB ...have a look on my gallery at my bus .. :thumb

Last awning we fitted to a non-forum member was £814 fitted inc VAT.

Awning itself is Just under £600 from VW inc vat, but then you need the handle to wind it out and all the brackets, bolts etc...

Thanks

Wow £600 and you don't even get a handle :shocked do they expect you to open it with a screwdriver :laugh2 :laugh2

On the flip side, if you lost your handle, you wouldn't want to buy a whole new awning... :D
--Nick

Very true but surely if you are buying a whole awning from scratch they should chuck it in :thumb

I agree, I would have thought they could do a bundle price that was cheaper than buying the bits.

But I would still want the option to buy it on its own in case I lost the awning but had the handle still :laugh2

Calikev said:
Very true but surely if you are buying a whole awning from scratch they should chuck it in :thumb

At present there is not a complete awning kit available, so everything has to be ordered individually at the moment.

cheers

Just to give a different view. We have an awning and only really used it a couple of times in the last 8 months.

Great for attaching the Drive away awning too but outside of that, I was actually thinking of taking it off for the winter.

Looking forward to making more use of it next year when its really really sunny :D .

Does anyone know, if you order a cali without an awning, do you still get the awning rails on both sides? I'm sort of assuming you do.

NickE said:
Does anyone know, if you order a cali without an awning, do you still get the awning rails on both sides? I'm sort of assuming you do.

The black side rails are standard fixtures nicke in the Cali ..:)

Hi there, our first post.. We have an expedition Defender 110 with a roof tent and Howling Moon awning. I'm 21 stone at the moment and not as agile as I once was, so we purchased a s/h California '06 4Motion in September to have something a bit more 'civilised' for trips to gigs and other adventures. Very pleased with it so far and just fitting winter tyres/wheels for a planned trip to Europe following Marillion's tour in January '13.

It may seem blindingly obvious but if you pitch the awning with one corner a bit lower, then you will avoid what happened to our Howling Moon in the middle of a (very) rainy night at Lushfest this 'summer'. There was a loud 'BANG!" as the side brace buckled under the load of many gallons of water that had collected in the awning. I had lined it up so nicely and so level! It was one of those 'Doh!' moments but we managed to straighten out the brace pole so no lasting harm done.

Did the sloping trick with our fiamma caravan store canopy, when i use to tow a mobile chicane ,works a treat.

Just a note there is a full omnistar kit on The Bay at the moment £450. Even looks to have the handle.

Regards

John H