Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof 12V socket not working

Johnny3555

Johnny3555

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
We have recently bought a 2017 Cali Coast and found the roof socket useful for powering a small LED reading light. Recently we closed the roof without removing the light and (perhaps related) now it has no power. I’ve checked all the fuses (under seat, behind bottle holder and next engine battery) and they are all ok. The 12v low socket at the side of the sink isn’t working either. The socket in ashtray dash is ok as is the one in the rear luggage area. Any ideas? The socket seems ok with no mechanical damage evident.

We have recently bought a 2017 Cali Coast and found the roof socket useful for powering a small LED reading light. Recently we closed the roof without removing the light and (perhaps related) now it has no power. I’ve checked all the fuses (under seat, behind bottle holder and next engine battery) and they are all ok. The 12v low socket at the side of the sink isn’t working either. The socket in ashtray dash is ok as is the one in the rear luggage area. Any ideas? The socket seems ok with no mechanical damage evident.
Sounds like a Fuse gone. How did you check the fuses, with a Multimeter or just a Visual check?
Multimeter is best. Normally a 15amp Fuse under Front L seat.

Sounds like a Fuse gone. How did you check the fuses, with a Multimeter or just a Visual check?
Good suggestion- I’ll check again. I took out each fuse under passenger seat and examined them - used test meter on others insitu- thanks as always

Hello again - I’m still struggling with the 12v sockets in the roof and at the kitchen side panel. I’ve checked all fuses and all are ok. A knowledgeable friend checked the sockets with his multimeter and it registered 9.5v in both sockets but no power when a light was plugged in. Cigarette lighter socket in dashboard works and registered 12v. Friends suggested it’s a poor connection somewhere in the wiring. It’s not urgent in that we can live without both sockets but it seems strange. Is it possible to remove the socket in the roof to check the wiring?

they both share the same fuse, so maybe the fuse is loose in its holder and not making a good connection.
Yes we can see that and wriggled the fuse and moved it in and out to no avail! Just puzzled

If it just was the top socket, I'd say it's damaged. But the kitchen one isn't working too anymore? That is the stranger part.
Can you put in some consumer in one of the 2 sockets and check on the multimeter what you read out of voltage in the other one?

Does anyone know if you can access the back wires in the kitchen one?

You can't really plug the sockets out like that. You need a special tool for that.

Check that no parts of the light are inside the socket from when it broke.

Yes we can see that and wriggled the fuse and moved it in and out to no avail! Just puzzled
if you think its not the fuse, then you need to check the earth stud for corrosion. I need to check the diagrams for the position of the one they use. (Possibly in the B pillar or under the sink.)
You can remove the socket on the end of the sink if you carefully prise the cover off and remove the screws. Then you could temporarily add aan earth wire and see if it fixes it.

Yes both sockets do not work any consumer device we tried. No damaged item in the roof socket where the reading light was left in position. I’ll check the wiring at the back of the kitchen sink. Not a big deal in that we can live without both sockets but an annoying fault and proving difficult to solve.

had same issue - the roof socket not working but all the others ok. Turned out to be a fuse blown. So at least in my van it seems like that socket doesn’t share with others unlike @Loz

Thanks for reply - I did check fuses and all seemed ok. I’ll check again to be sure. Interesting that it has its own stand alone fuse. Regards from the emerald island- some great trips this year and van used by us and our London based but working here son and his wife.

Yes both sockets do not work any consumer device we tried. No damaged item in the roof socket where the reading light was left in position. I’ll check the wiring at the back of the kitchen sink. Not a big deal in that we can live without both sockets but an annoying fault and proving difficult to solve.
Hi Johnny, did you ever get your sockets fixed? We have the same issue on a 2017 ocean - both sockets failed at different times and all fuses are OK. VW checked the fuses when the van went in for the last service and have quoted £100 to investigate further. Thx

Hi Johnny, did you ever get your sockets fixed? We have the same issue on a 2017 ocean - both sockets failed at different times and all fuses are OK. VW checked the fuses when the van went in for the last service and have quoted £100 to investigate further. Thx
No never got it sorted. I’ve tried (with a techie friend) measuring the current with a multimeter - seems there’s a current but nothing like it should be. So I’ve given up! If you have further information I’d appreciate if you’d share it with me. We’ve had a great year with the Cali including a trip to Scotland by out son and wife who remot worked there for 6 weeks.john

No never got it sorted. I’ve tried (with a techie friend) measuring the current with a multimeter - seems there’s a current but nothing like it should be. So I’ve given up! If you have further information I’d appreciate if you’d share it with me. We’ve had a great year with the Cali including a trip to Scotland by out son and wife who remot worked there for 6 weeks.john
If there is a current on the socket then you should, by removing one of the 15amp fuses under the Front passenger seat RHD, be able to identify the fuse and check if you have 12v on the fuse connection/socket. If you have then the problem is between the fuse and socket.
Check the connections on the underside of the fuse for 12v, measuring connection to chassis.
If they are OK, remove socket and check the connections at the back of the socket.
If they are OK then the socket is faulty.
If you get less than 12 v then the problem is between the fuse and socket plug.

The harness from under passenger seat goes to the kitchen unit harness via the B Pillar connecting at socket 12 for the kitchen unit 12v socket Connector 7

For the roof socket the harness goes up the B pillar then rearwards to service the kitchen lights.

Many thanks for your detailed reply - I’ll have another go at it. Regards john

If you have power at the socket but it does when you plug something in then it sounds like a poor connection as Mr welshgas says check the connections he mentions and the harness

We have recently bought a 2017 Cali Coast and found the roof socket useful for powering a small LED reading light. Recently we closed the roof without removing the light and (perhaps related) now it has no power. I’ve checked all the fuses (under seat, behind bottle holder and next engine battery) and they are all ok. The 12v low socket at the side of the sink isn’t working either. The socket in ashtray dash is ok as is the one in the rear luggage area. Any ideas? The socket seems ok with no mechanical
Hi Jhonny
I have a same problem lik you with the 12v socket roof and kitchen.
Fuses are ok, 12v on fuse and no 12 v on socket.
Probably broken wires in some where…
Did you solve your problem?
Regards

No we didn’t- seemed like a broken wire. We detected some current there with a test meter but couldn’t fix it. We upgraded our van to a ocean so no longer our problem!

had same issue - the roof socket not working but all the others ok. Turned out to be a fuse blown. So at least in my van it seems like that socket doesn’t share with others unlike @Loz
Hi KP64zL
I have a same problem lik you with the 12v socket roof and kitchen.
Fuses are ok, 12v on fuse and no 12 v on socket.
This weekend I check all again and no find voltage on sockets
Did you solve your problem?
Regards

Back