Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof bar for one person kayak loading

C

calamityjenny

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi - I've never bought roof bars before, but i'd like some for my 2012 california.. so I can buy a kayak. Problem is also how to get on the roof by myself (I'm 5' 7").

Any hints and tips on what to buy, and how to load would be ace!! Someone mentioned the "hullivator" to me.. but not totally sure if it'd work on the van.

Cheers!

This could be me writing above.

Ive been looking for my 2019 T6 and found a 'Droprack' on The Roofbox Company website. I also have height restrictions of 5'7". ;) Looks to be compatible, looks expensive but ive no idea as Ive not ventured that far yet but im certainly keen to getting a kayak or 2 on my Cali.

Droprack

Last edited:
I looked at a number of these a few years back. Cost is biggest hurdle. Worked out it was adding about £80 to every time I used the kayak!! But if you kayak really often or are loaded might be worth a look.

I have designed a side loading roofrack for this, which may be of interest.

The ease of lifting a Kayak depends on the position it is mounted on the rails at the side of the van. If mounted halfway up, then a 30Kg kayak will result in a 15kg lift. The handrail for a standard California will be at 2meters height, but this can be lowered a bit if height is still a problem.

Let me know if interested and I can send more details.

John

I'm in a kayak and canoe club and there are 3 of us with Calis and another member with a T5 van. Between us its 2 x Karitek, 1 x Sherpas Translift (no longer available) and me with a home brew loading solution onto Thule roof bars.
The Karitek is the easiest option to load, has the option to include the cross bars. Expensive though and everyone seems to leave it on the roof as getting it setup to operate smoothly takes a while (apparently). I find it looks a bit agricultural and worry about rattles.
My solution can be seen in the last post of this thread: Loosely based on the Malone Telos

If going for Thule cross bars then most people go for wider versions than the configurators recommend. There are 2 foot pack heights as well. Things like the Hullevator might need the heavy duty cross bars. I discounted the Hullevator doe to cost and also extra weight on the roof.

Thanks for all the help - having a look at all those links now :)

There was a similar thread on here a few months back, perhaps a year and someone offered the solution of a step that attaches to the door catch. It helped get up to roof level to tie on without filling up the entire boot with a ladder - shout if you need a hand locating the thread. Hope you find a solution that works for you