Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof bars for a California?

C

California Craig

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi. I bought a pair of roof bars for my Kombi and before I had a chance to fit them I upgraded to the California. Is it possible to fir them to the top for decoration only? Thanks again

Hi. I bought a pair of roof bars for my Kombi and before I had a chance to fit them I upgraded to the California. Is it possible to fir them to the top for decoration only? Thanks again

You may need a different foot pack. No point in fitting them unless you are going to use them, as they may restrict which car parks that you can get into.

Thanks for the input - I hadn’t really given the fuel economy bit any thought - I was planning on roof bars, side bars and a bike rack - I guess combined they’d make a fair bit of difference

Apart from the noise they could generate and create more drag, so less fuel economy.
I've had the VW factory roof bars fitted since new and there is no noticeable noise and very little difference in fuel economy. So if you like the look, go for it!

I was planning on roof bars, side bars and a bike rack
Absolutely no offence meant to you @California Craig it's just I find it absolutely hilarious that people consider a bike rack as an aesthetic upgrade. It's blatantly obvious they do too. For every Cali [or otherwise] with a bike rack, 90% are empty.

I'm thinking I might get an elliptical trainer as a roof decoration. I know it would hit fuel economy and really reduce the number of car parks etc I could gain access to but it would look awesome :thumb

I’m laughing so much I can barely type. Agreed - I’d never risk scratches by actually attaching a bike!! I suspect you’d end up on few internet threads with an elliptical trainer attached to the roof! So funny - I’ll chuckle all morning now! :D

Absolutely no offence meant to you @California Craig it's just I find it absolutely hilarious that people consider a bike rack as an aesthetic upgrade. It's blatantly obvious they do too. For every Cali [or otherwise] with a bike rack, 90% are empty.

I'm thinking I might get an elliptical trainer as a roof decoration. I know it would hit fuel economy and really reduce the number of car parks etc I could gain access to but it would look awesome :thumb
I have mine on all the time, I think it makes me look really cool and sporty. But the real reason is that it’s so unwieldy to store and my shed is full of crap.

You may need a different foot pack. No point in fitting them unless you are going to use them, as they may restrict which car parks that you can get into.
Are you talking of rails (front to rear) or bars (left to right)?

Are you talking of rails (front to rear) or bars (left to right)?
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I was referring to the one that run from front to rear - purely for looks rather than use. Do u know if these can be fitted? Thanks again

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I was referring to the one that run from front to rear - purely for looks rather than use. Do u know if these can be fitted? Thanks again
California has recessed rails in order to keep the crossbar height as low as possible.

It may be possible to fit the rails for cosmetic purposes but I would assume that securing them would be very problematic.
Also the roof is alloy not steel so not advisable to fit rails in my opinion.

A case of wait and see what you can do as and when you have your Cali home.

California has recessed rails in order to keep the crossbar height as low as possible.

It may be possible to fit the rails for cosmetic purposes but I would assume that securing them would be very problematic.
Also the roof is alloy not steel so not advisable to fit rails in my opinion.

A case of wait and see what you can do as and when you have your Cali home.
Thank you for the information and your advice ..... I think I might just forget the roof bars and remove the risk of damage or problems. Back to choosing the bike rack and side bars! It would be so much better if I could just have my first trip in it rather than fixating on getting bits for it! Best wishes and thanks again!

Well it's not that strange that when you see a Cali, the bike rack is empty. Many, if not most people leave them on all year. So you can easily take bikes when you want. Having the rack on the van doesnt mean you should have bikes on it every time you drive it right? And, I personally do feel the bike rack of teh T5 makes the cali look better. The T6 bike rack however... :)

Maybe many daily drivers (like me) in your area. They prefer riding a car over riding a bike :)

Misread that thought it was "prefer riding a car over a bike!!!!". Got there in the end though.....