Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Bars - Thule or VW?

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Looking to buy some roof bars as we have just purchased a canoe, are we best sticking with the genuine VW ones or go for the Thule aero?

If you want a good looking bar then the Thule Aero has it I think.

There is also a lower profile rail mount which fits but is not normally listed for the Cali roof. It takes the bar closer to the roof and looks much neater.

Thule black 969b & 753 (lower pro than 751)

Alan

If you want a good looking bar then the Thule Aero has it I think.

There is also a lower profile rail mount which fits but is not normally listed for the Cali roof. It takes the bar closer to the roof and looks much neater.

Thule black 969b & 753 (lower pro than 751)

Alan
If you look in the For Sale, someone was selling some Thule feet. Not sure which, square or aero.

I'd always go for Thule rather than manufacturer. The Thule system is very flexible so you can always use the bars on another vehicle just by buying the necessary feet.

Many of the manufacturer racks are made by Thule - not sure about VW though.

I've got black bars and 753 footpack, I also have a 751 footpack for sale

Are you able to assist on the type of roof bar fitting kit that is required for the Cali (T6), T profile or fix point? Thanks

A roof rack rail is used on the Cali which is a T profile, not fixed point.

Alan

When choosing Thule bars make sure you order the right bar. It seems people on this forum are talking about Thule 'Aero' bars. In the NZ market,which may or may not be the same as yours,the Aero Bars have been superseded by Thule 'Wing' Bars, which are apparently considerably quieter. Check the Thule site for your country. And if you have it, use the "Fit My Car" selection tool. Choose VW T5 Transporter. You'll see later in fitting instructions that the California is included. Fitting kit 3034. (in NZ!) Fitting kit seems to be labelled 'Fixed Point Kit' on the box,but inside are the bolts and flat rectangular plates for fitting to a Cali roof.
We've just fitted the black wing bars 962200 (+ 1350mm) with the shorter foot pack 753 (+ 8.5cm?) and it looks great. As some one else mentioned, there's room for shorter feet,if they were available. Just planted a Thule Pacific 700 roof box on top for this weekend away. Summer is ending. Gotta make the most of the warm weather.

When choosing Thule bars make sure you order the right bar. It seems people on this forum are talking about Thule 'Aero' bars. In the NZ market,which may or may not be the same as yours,the Aero Bars have been superseded by Thule 'Wing' Bars, which are apparently considerably quieter. Check the Thule site for your country. And if you have it, use the "Fit My Car" selection tool. Choose VW T5 Transporter. You'll see later in fitting instructions that the California is included. Fitting kit 3034. (in NZ!) Fitting kit seems to be labelled 'Fixed Point Kit' on the box,but inside are the bolts and flat rectangular plates for fitting to a Cali roof.
We've just fitted the black wing bars 962200 (+ 1350mm) with the shorter foot pack 753 (+ 8.5cm?) and it looks great. As some one else mentioned, there's room for shorter feet,if they were available. Just planted a Thule Pacific 700 roof box on top for this weekend away. Summer is ending. Gotta make the most of the warm weather.
Hugo,
Send me a pic. Just across the Straits in Kapiti. I have a set that came with the Cali, and I'll admit they are tall and ugly. Yes summer is ending far too early, I need to get out and use my new pod and 'certified' Cali before clocks go back.

Goldie

hi, you can also use whispbar. same idea as thule, buy your footpack and bars. bars expensive but footpacks cheap. £20 for the foot packs. Very easy to remove and add the bars and it leaves behind a very small attachment point, so rooftop cozy not affected.

hi, you can also use whispbar. same idea as thule, buy your footpack and bars. bars expensive but footpacks cheap. £20 for the foot packs. Very easy to remove and add the bars and it leaves behind a very small attachment point, so rooftop cozy not affected.
abz_cali that's interesting, I was just talking to roofbox who I have previously bought a whispbar system from and they said you couldn't fit a whispbar to the California (T6 ocean)....

They said the same for the t5. I measured the gutter and took the plunge. The first photo shows the attachment point in the T5 california SE roof. 2nd one shows the bit you bolt on and the red screw that attaches that to your exisitng footpack. Last photo is the footpack box (shows the part number). I must stress they said this wouldn't work, and whilst it clearly does there may be some other reasons, load transfer or something that mean you should not do this. I.E fit/follow at your own risk. I have only used it for transporting skis. I have the Aero Bars that extend through the holder so not sure what length you would need if you had the flush mount kit. I have no idea if the T5 SE roof is different to the T6 ocean.
IMG_0545.JPG IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0547.JPG

If you end up wanting the VW ones I have a brand new unopened set for a T6 (assume they also fit T5 though). PM me if interested.

Looking on the Thule guide, there are T tracks on the California T5 .1 and transporter
Have a look at the picture in abz_Cali post above those are T slots. Your post is showing roof rails, Mondeo estates used to have them as standard and you just bought the cross bars. My Yeti has similar bars, whereas the Cali has inverted T slots.

Andy

What steps are you folks using to get at whatever is on the roof?

We have vw roof bars but ended up getting a little trailer for our canoe so we can just hitch & go. After a day paddling I found it really hard to lift the canoe up to the roof height despite my husband taking most of the weight!

Hi, I have just taken delivery of a T6 ocean and I have fitted the Thule pro bars on the 753 mountings, I canoe regularly and chose the Thule fitted with their Hullavator canoe carrier which has an assisted lift facility which practically lifts the boat on for me, check YouTube for video.

We have vw roof bars but ended up getting a little trailer for our canoe so we can just hitch & go. After a day paddling I found it really hard to lift the canoe up to the roof height despite my husband taking most of the weight!
Sorry for being slightly off the roof bar topic, but could I ask what trailer you use cleve? We have a very large two man sit-on-top and I was considering a trailer for that.

Sorry for being slightly off the roof bar topic, but could I ask what trailer you use cleve? We have a very large two man sit-on-top and I was considering a trailer for that.
I'm not sure. Think it's an adapted dingy trailer we bought on eBay!