• Thread starter TwentyOneThirtyFive
  • Start date
TwentyOneThirtyFive

TwentyOneThirtyFive

Scruffy looking Nerf herder
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Who's got roof bars on their Westy? How are they mounted?

Looking to fit some to carry a roof box.

Currently looking at the Kari Tek system: http://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/roof-racks-rails/roof-rail-system

The alternative seems to be the Thule fake gutters. but after pushing the sides of the roof and finding them a bit flexible I'm not convinced about that approach. Also concerned about catching on the awning.

Reimo Active Rails doesn't seem to be available any more.

Any thoughts or anything else I should consider? Bit nervous of drilling holes in the roof.

Ta,
dan

Hi... I am also looking for roof bars to fit on my t4 pop top. I have some mounts already fixed to my roof, so just need the bars I believe, but unsure which ones I need to get..

image.png

They look like the Thule artificial gutters, suitable for Thule 300, 387, and 953 Gutter Feet according to their website (https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/accessories/thule-artificial-raingutters-542-_-1036). Other brands are also available :) I guess any bar that is designed to fit on rain gutters will work, as long as it has the height to go over the roof.

How are those mounts fastened to the roof? Are there spreader plates on the inside edge of the roof? I like the idea of these as it would mean not drilling into the living area bit of the roof.

I've got rails fitted. They are simply four short lengths of box section extrude (one at each corner). I've no idea what the part number is but they take the standard flat head stud bolt thingys.

Photo to follow.

Hard to see but thisone got roofbars
image.jpeg
It's my brother in-law his Cali , lives in France ....

Thanks. Really not sure the artificial rain gutters are going to play nicely with the awning.

Pod - are they bolted through the roof, or screwed in (ie, not all the way through)? I see the dimples on the roof where the holes are supposed to be. Anyway, similar idea to the Kari-Tek kit, just shorter lengths and a bit more substantial.

Dan,

Bolted through with nice blanking plugs in the inner roof skin

thanks Mr Pod.

I think I've decided. Will procrastinate a few more days first though.

Opening up an old thread - but I'm looking to fit some roof bars to my pop-top.

What are the options currently and best places to purchase?

Thanks, Paul

Well I guess it’ll be the system in the photos, assuming it’s still available?

I’ve no idea what it was/is but it does use the standard square head studs to attach the cross rails.

I’m pretty sure this has been discussed before here.

It has been discussed before but I can't find anyone selling the parts currently

Ah ok. Perhaps get some of the standard square head roof bar bolts from Halfords then source any old bit of ally extrusion to take them?

That might work - with yours, do you get any water leaks through roof?

No never did but it was factory fitted I assumed?

B6993E1E-D788-4050-ADBE-7099C1538E62.jpeg
My Cali came with Thule roof bars when I bough it, the previous owners had them fitted with stainless gutters along the side of the roof, but it didn’t look good in my opinion.
I have removed the stainless gutters and have had the holes on the roof repaired since.
I did buy Thule artificial gutters but as I have no use for roof bars at the moment I didn’t bother fitting them.

Last edited:
Would the artificial gutters and roof bars be of interest to you, as they are lying around here with no use.

Would the artificial gutters and roof bars be of interest to you, as they are lying around here with no use.

Absolutely - email me and let me know what sort of money you are looking for.

Thanks,
Paul

paulrobbo1975{at}+++++{dot}com

Hi...sorry I have no idea how they are fitted. Will try take some more pics.

View attachment 14963

Hi my Cali has those same gutter plates, but mounted on the flat roof. It does seem odd and the picture above looks like a more logical way to mount them.

Will a gutter rack still fit? Has anyone else seen them mounted on the flat roof? Do they only work with a certain system perhaps when flat roof mounted I wonder?

Absolutely - email me and let me know what sort of money you are looking for.

Thanks,
Paul

paulrobbo1975{at}+++++{dot}com
Hi mate, just a quick message to let you know I sent an email with postage prices.
Regards Padraic.