Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Bed Mattress - Calibed

fozzybear

fozzybear

fozzybear63
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Has anyone used a Calibed Roof Mattress? Looking to replace the original in our T5 as we don't find it comfortable and don't want to carry any additional mattress toppers etc. du to room in the van. Appreciate they are expensive, but they look really good and could be just what we are looking for.

How about the Zonesleep? We use it with the thinner mattress from Comfort so you can keep it all up top even with roof down.

Hi Kevin,

We have the Calibed Roof from Calicap.de for a year now. Wish we'd bought it earlier. Can only recommend this cold foam mattress. With the original one from VW I always woke up with pain in the hips. Not now anymore. Though Ms. marchugo (65 kilogram) claims to feel no difference. The price is right (I see they give a discount of 13 percent at the moment).

The mattress is just under 6 cm thick and that is absolutely the max fitting under the roof. It may be that the roof at the backside of the van comes up a few mm, as in my case. I just pushed the rubber seal slightly downwards to prevent water ingress. After a few days the mattress will settle and it fits.

As mentioned in another thread the Bella Donna cotton/elastene sheets 100 x 200 cm form a pleasant combination with this mattress. We also have two mini Wellpure memory foam pillows from Jysk (42 cm), that are small to stow but firm enough for a good sleep.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Tip: (for all types of mattresses) Before closing the roof, pull the mattress just half a centimetre to the front of the Cali, to prevent the seperate foot part clutching under the back of the roof. The mattress and its foot part tend to move to the rear of the van during the night, independent of nightly behaviour.

Now that is the kind of very helpful precision you get from the someone living in Hampster Jam and is exactly what I have been trying to find out by trawling through the endless upstairs mattress duscussions. Max width 6cms to enable roof closure, I measured the VW standard foamy grey mattress slab yesterday and seems to be four and a laugh. Always seemed to me that there must have been a bit of spare margin and that stat tells me what I needed to know.... there is about 1.5 spare room.

Great stuff