Roof box... good idea or bad?

pjm-84

pjm-84

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
:help
I have a half width roof box and was thinking of putting it on for the summer holiday:bananadance2 for some more storage space (not planning on putting anything weighty in there).

Vaguely remember a 50kg weight limit for the pop roof? (Is this correct?).

Was also wondering if anyone used a roof box on their Cali and if they had any issues with the roof staying up , windy conditions and eccentric loading of the roof?

I believe 50kg is the limit if you want to pop the roof.

I've been pondering a roof box too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
:help
I have a half width roof box and was thinking of putting it on for the summer holiday:bananadance2 for some more storage space (not planning on putting anything weighty in there).

Vaguely remember a 50kg weight limit for the pop roof? (Is this correct?).

Was also wondering if anyone used a roof box on their Cali and if they had any issues with the roof staying up , windy conditions and eccentric loading of the roof?
Roof weight limits all in the Handbook.

If you think about it. The roof is secured at 4 points, hinged attachments of the rear scissor connection and the front hydraulic ram operated system. If within the weight limits then I can see no problems, solely due to weight. However, asymmetrical forces due to airflow due to forward speed and wind direction may not be insignificant acting on these 4 attachment points.

Plus add in the VAG factor.....

Will dig out the manual and take a look.

6ft 4.3inch!

Sadly no longer able to claim 6ft 5in which my buddies keep reminding me of due to my "short" stature in their company.

I suppose you could store the ladder you need to reach it up there :)
Store one of these on the bike rack. I also wonder if the feet could be adapted to rest on the two front seats without damaging the fabric and it be used as a step to upstairs.
ae235

I have the large 400 litre vw roof box and the roof goes up and down no problem. It is a faff to get to and I use one of those decorators platforms to access it. Because the weight needs to be spread it's in the middle of the roof bars and not that easy to reach everything and now thinking of short telescopic ladder. Also the vw fitted roof bars are a bit too high profile imo.

No issues with a roof box. We use it when going skiing and I see no problems if you do not load it too much. Stand on the wheels when you want to access it or we use a small stool we always have with us. The roof goes up and down fine. Watch out for low parking though. Also it is hard to use a topper at the same time.

Because the weight needs to be spread it's in the middle of the roof bars
This is not something I had considered. I have a 420 Litre 3/4 width box, and on our current car I keep it to the nearside, our tandem goes on the offside, but with a raising roof the weight will need to be much more evenly distributed.

I am a smidgen over 6' tall. With the work platform, I will have 7' 7⅜", do you think this would be sufficient?

A small telescopic ladder would be better than the platform IMO, could also be used inside for roof bed access. @Crispin Family I think the decorators style platform would be too big and cumbersome inside for bed access.

as tall as the decorators platform.
Decorators' platform:
Closed L x W x H: 600 x 300 x 170mm
Working L x W x H: 600 x 300 x 490mm
(900mm length also available)​
Step:
Base Area: 37cm (W) x 30cm (D)
Step Area: 29cm (W) x 22cm (D)
Step Height: 39cm
Collapsed Size: 37cm (W) x 5cm (D) x 46cm (H)​

Since I love the 2x5 form factor, and for some good reasons, there is not going to be anything on my roof...

We have a 360L roof box (Dimensions: 190x65x40cm) - its the thinner one so it allowed for bikes to be added onto the roof aswell on our previous vehicle.

Used it last summer for our two week trip to France on our Cali. I put it it in the middle of the roof so that the weight was evenly distributed. Luckily I'm 6 foot 4 and so could still just access the box by standing on rear wheel and also on the front seat (which has covers!). Will look at the steps mentioned above though, thanks for ideas.

The extra space was great. We could have packed the items inside but having the roof box just made things easier. Roof box came into it's own during the holiday for storing the beach stuff for the kids (or just items that you occasionally need) as it meant we didn't have to keep loading and unloading the Cali every time we ventured off to the lake or beach.

We wouldn't use the roofbox for smaller trips but for the summer break found it brilliant. However putting it on the roof for the first time was quite stressful with a step ladder involved , with the fear of dropping the box down the side of the Cali! :Nailbiting

I had exactly the same stress putting our Bic Trinidad on the roof, I was scared of damaging the van, that alone made me ponder if a roof box would work. Useful info and thanks for sharing.

We have been considering a roof box because we would like to carry a couple of Lafuma reclining chairs on longer trips there is no way they would fit in the van. Seems like a bit of a faf but it would be nice to relax in a comfy chair.

I have a Kamei Husky 300litre roof box. You have to be careful fitting it to the roof bars- ladder needed- but once its on you can load it using a tall folding stool. On my '14 Beach the roof will not stay up properly if there is any significant weight in the box. OK if full of polystyrene body boards but not with chairs etc

We have been considering a roof box because we would like to carry a couple of Lafuma reclining chairs on longer trips there is no way they would fit in the van. Seems like a bit of a faf but it would be nice to relax in a comfy chair.
Do you have a VW bike rack? Brandrup make the Flexbag Cargo to fit on the bike rack. I'm sure it would take your chairs.

I think the 50kg is the max load . The 100kg is for the Transporter with no pop top.
There is an extensive post about roof loadings on here somewhere from last year. All the manual says is "50 Kg". It doesn't make any mention of closed or raised. I asked dealer and VW customer service and neither could definitively answer the question. I carried a single and a double kayak - probably about 75Kg inc the rack and some kit in the boats - on several journeys last year with no problems. I wouldn't raise the roof with that load though. I'd be very nervous about it not lifting symmetrically. I have lifted the roof with a single kayak on it (total load approx 35Kg) with no problems.

We experienced gales in Scotland next year. Sleeping downstairs the additional windage certainly caused more rocking. It also crucifies fuel consumption.

Back