Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

Roof box... good idea or bad?

Discussion in 'Roof Bars & Boxes' started by pjm-84, Jan 29, 2017.

1. soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    To be fair. That roof looks fine with her on top.
    I’m sure spreading you weight across the sides would be ok.

I have a rental at the moment.
    Might test it out :Grin

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1
  2. Kmann

Kmann Iben & Henrik VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    The roof limit is 50 kg, and I stay under that. I have had no problems with the roof not getting up og sagging with the box (or other stuff) on top. Now we have the two SUP with us in Sweden. They weight approx. 30 kg. including the roof bars.

Regarding the roof box I have - as I recall the Thule Motion 900 with the Wingbar and Rapid 753 (the lover mount) weights together 23 kg. So I have 27 kg left, with is quite a bit. I use mine primarily for kitesurf equipment, that is not particularly heavy, but the kites take up quite some space.

Personally, If possible I would store bulky but light stuff up there, and the have heavier things in the car.

IMG_2660.JPG

3. MattBW

MattBW Here to help Moderator Top Poster Lifetime VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach
    Year:
    It was a good experiment but I gave the roof box from my beach away, it just didn't quite tick all the boxes for us. I gave it to a chap with a hard top who loves it.

The beach roof struts are such that the box had to be completely empty to allow the roof to extend up fully. This meant loading and offloading it every time we stopped and wanted the roof up. Even then it wasn't quite as taut as it should be. Maybe a smaller box would suit... I tend to think a towbar unit on a pivot would be a good solution, but its an expensive experiment.

We loved having somewhere outside the van to relegate the laundry bag and wet dog towels to but otherwise it was more of a pain than a help. :)

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Kmann

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    You are right. I need to mention my experience is on a Ocean with hydraulic roof. I beleive it is only doable with support - a pole? - if at all.

Emptying is not an option i my world. I would probably have sold ir as well then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  5. Trebor

Trebor No looking back . VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    E5B43AAE-3B78-4CF2-8CC6-46643B9E1484.jpeg EBDB2245-1F4C-495E-A69B-6A4212DBF2F9.jpeg 9DBA45A9-3F51-4375-8232-E6467C6FC8AC.jpeg
    Great info Kmann but a bit worried about the “ lover mount !!! “! Is that
    allowed ?

Yesterday I bought a pair of old Mercedes ski boxes cheaply . They’re old about 15 yrs and 300 litres each and open both ways . Thought it would be good to try after your enthusiasm. They’re made of polypropylene and fairly indestructible ( ha ha ! (I saw your horrible photos again yesterday on the website banner ).

Already Caligirl has booked one box for her shoes ! Anyway thought they may go side by side on top of the trailer for our 7/8 week Northern Lights Trip in Sept but thinking now one on trailer and one on Cali . Does anyone know about car parks in Norway Sweden Finland maybe Niborn does ? Do they have the 2.2 m bar like France .

6. Kmann

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    And I who thought the big trailer was reserved for the shoes … ;-)

I dont know about certain rules for the high of the roof pars? But I think they look good and compact on the trailer as is. I would go with this solution. and I would keep both on the trailer I think.

7. Kmann

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    @Trebor … even with Polypropylene I will recommend a rollover ;-)

8. Trebor

Trebor No looking back . VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    I hope you mean will not recommend . I shudder every time your photos come up Kmann . Horrible .

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  9. Kmann

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    HAHA … yes! Please don't do it ;-)

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  10. Quentin SF

Quentin SF

Vehicle:
    Just browsing
    Just a thought after reading this thread - we used to have a Thule roof BAG, not box, for a previous car.

It occurs to me that if you needed to get under a barrier that was too low for a box, it would be a pain to take it off. If you emptied a bag into the van, however, you might do it. Also, if you did remove a bag at your destination, it might be easier to store in an awning or loo tent.

11. KiwiCali

KiwiCali VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    I have now put a Thule Roofbox on top of the new Cali, for an extended trip that we are going to do. I have gone with Thule, Wing Bar 969 127 cm, Rapid system 753 feet, Plus Thule the Dynamic 800 low profile Roofbox that I have had for a while. All this comes to about 23KG which leaves about 27KG free for 'stuff'.

I have been testing the loading, and when the box is full with 25KG of stuff ....I did notice the system had to work harder to get the roof up - plus coming down did not seem as smooth? Or is this just my imagination? Keen to get feedback from those that have roof boxes on! Anyway ... I plan to just putting the light stuff up in the box that I will only need occasionally. So I reckon the overall weight up there including rack/box is around 40KG and that seems to work well. Getting to it will be a bit of a pain ... though I have a small collapsible ladder - and I think I will just park beside something I can stand on :)

20190112_150534.jpg

Roofbox1.jpg

Roofbox 3.jpg

• I Like That! I Like That! x 2
  12. bigmac77

bigmac77 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Your setup looks great.

We use a roof box for extended trips and it has been very useful, we load it up with things like La Fuma chairs, extra table, shelter tent, wetsuits and body boards. We tend to put things up there that we don’t require everyday when we are moving around and empty it when we park up on a campsite for a few days. Including the box, bars and contents the weight is around 50kg maybe a couple over but no more and we have had no problems with the roof either raising or lowering. The box we have is the Kamei 510, it is positioned centrally on the roof and I stand on the rear seat to load and empty it. I find the internal straps difficult to reach but my 7 year old son just climbs up and sorts those out for me.

13. KiwiCali

KiwiCali VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Great feedback thanks. That does provide peace of mind. I like your creative use of child labour as well! - as agree it is hard to reach the middle of the roofbox. Mine does open from both sides so that will help I think.

14. BayCatOne

BayCatOne VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
    Year:
    For those of you who're still considering these I just wanted to let you know that they fit in the tail gate along with the chairs. It's a very good fit and we always put our pair in there, one with each chair. No problem in warm weather for the gas struts but in negative-something-degrees you sometimes need to push it all the way up or it will not open fully on it's own. Good to use inside while doing dishes and the kids uses them while seated at the table outside. They even fit between the front seats if you don't want to put your feet on the seats when accessing the top bunk.

This is the model we use, brand 'Hard Head'. I guess they're all the same.
    https://www.jula.se/catalog/bygg-oc...lningar/stegar-och-pallar/pallar/pall-341019/

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Kmann

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    Have same setup, but with a bigger Thule Box (XXL 900 Motion). Even with that stuffed with inflatable SUPs, kiteboards and kitestuff there is not a sigle issue. Roof stays up, rises and lowers straight and smooth.

I have a telescopic latter in the drawer under the bench. Perfect setup for me. Also use the latter when washing the car. Hanging up a tarp for shade in the nearest tree, etc.