Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof canvas modification

Gudge

Gudge

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Anyone know if its possible to have the front of the pop top modified to zip open like the skyline or newer roofs, so you can sit and enjoy the view? Thanks

VW dealer will be able to supply and fit an “upgrade” with the front opening
various colour option available (Blue & Red)

can be done on Cali O & B

VW dealer will be able to supply and fit an “upgrade” with the front opening
various colour option available (Blue & Red)

can be done on Cali O & B
I might be mistaken, and butting in where I shouldn't but to me this sounds like the OP is asking for an adjustment to the existing canvas and @Perfectos is suggesting changing the old to the new canvas? (expensive for what is essentially a -very useful- zipper)

I might be mistaken, and butting in where I shouldn't but to me this sounds like the OP is asking for an adjustment to the existing canvas and @Perfectos is suggesting changing the old to the new canvas? (expensive for what is essentially a -very useful- zipper)
Probably cheaper replacing than finding somewhere to take the canvas out, modifying it and then refitting.
Any firm prepared to modify the canvas are unlikely to want to remove and refit it. Unless the owner is prepared to remove and refit the bellows themselves, then replacement is probably cost effective.

be interested in the cost either way, but I'm sure its expensive. May live with what I have and look out the side window lol.

I don't think the original roof canvas can be altered, the panoramic opening canvas has the folding struts in a different place.

Not sure where the front folding rib is on the OPs canvas, but pre panoramic they used to be right in the middle of the front panel.

be interested in the cost either way, but I'm sure its expensive. May live with what I have and look out the side window lol.
I would have thought about £900 supply and fit via VW.

I did think the op may be talking about modifying existing, but as WG says the cost may be prohibitive.
There is an OEM option, albeit at a cost.
I would think the OEM option would be the best option vs third party hacking the OEM parts around which may involve full removal and refitting of the original bellows & negating VW‘s future involvement in case of future issue

Gudge

you could try some of the companies who carry out works to Bellows , a quick tinternet search (no recommendations & no experience of any)

keep us updated how you get on

edit : Additional supplier added

AUSTOPS​

Our top seller! Manufactured in the UK, Austops are our most popular poptop roof. There are 20 canvas colour options and the fantastic Panoramic option so you can open up the roof to the outside world

Last edited:
I don't think the original roof canvas can be altered, the panoramic opening canvas has the folding struts in a different place.

Not sure where the front folding rib is on the OPs canvas, but pre panoramic they used to be right in the middle of the front panel.
Standard Beach (Non pano) reinforced folding mech is in the middle of the front section, although on the factory Pano bellows I’m not sure where it is

I'm keen on changing my bellows at some point, whether by modifying or changing, to get the front opening.
If I were changing them I'd quite like a more interesting colour as well.

You could always wait untill your van starts having roof corrosion problems. The positive side of the corrosion is that when applying the fix, they often mess up the canvas enough that they have to replace it. :)

I had a u-shaped zip door put in the side of the Fiamma Safari Room of our previous Hymer quite cheaply by a local tent repairer and I’m sure they could do the bellows if you took it off. The problem may be getting it back on as the rubbers are hammered into the channels and you can’t do the upper one without taking the alu roof off.

You can replace the canvas yourself ...

Instructions here ...

Last edited:
May be worth trying Kernow as they have fitted the new canvas for some users ...

May be worth trying Kernow as they have fitted the new canvas for some users ...

I had a price off these guys a while back.
Think it was about £800.
I’m sure that price will be more today as things have become more expensive.
I’m guessing these chaps are probably the place to go, as they’ve been fitting California roofs to transporter vans for some time, therefore must know the product very well by now…?

I got a quote from VW for a canvas supply only - £550+vat for light grey and 635+vat for the dark grey (as used on the 6.1). This was for a manual roof

I got a quote from VW for a canvas supply only - £550+vat for light grey and 635+vat for the dark grey (as used on the 6.1). This was for a manual roof
If your old canvas is in good condition, you may be able to sell it for a reasonable amount to offset the cost.

If your old canvas is in good condition, you may be able to sell it for a reasonable amount to offset the cost.
This was part of my calculation. However it also means I have to be very careful removing the old one. I'll sleep on the idea!

I'm keen on changing my bellows at some point, whether by modifying or changing, to get the front opening.
If I were changing them I'd quite like a more interesting colour as well.
When we had our replaced under warranty - the bellows were upgraded to the full opening window so would expect the old type may not be available

When we had our replaced under warranty - the bellows were upgraded to the full opening window so would expect the old type may not be available
I would be interested to know what issues with bellows are able to be dealt with under warranty. I never quite know what is wear and tear and what isn’t. We are being extremely careful with ours but still have 3 more years for things to go wrong!

I would be interested to know what issues with bellows are able to be dealt with under warranty. I never quite know what is wear and tear and what isn’t. We are being extremely careful with ours but still have 3 more years for things to go wrong!
Ours detached from the roof at the front. Think there was a batch issue around late 2016

Can we see a photo of your new one pls Paul ?

@Gudge According to the Caliboard forum you can’t remove the old one non destructively due to the glue (Sikaflex 521) used to spot bond the seal in the channels.

if you want to buy one, the light grey is £550+vat and the dark grey is £660+vat

Part numbers:

Manual roof: Beach Coast
Dark grey: 7E8 875 059 C IU7
Light grey: 7E8 875 059 C UV8
Blue: 7E8 875 059 C UR7
Red: 7E8 875 059 C UW9

Hydraulic roof: Ocean
Dark grey: 7E7 875 059 K IU7
Light grey: 7E7 875 059 K UV8
Blue: 7E7 875 059 K UR7
Red: 7E7 875 059 K UW9

Last edited: