Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Canvas Query

steverob55

steverob55

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I've got a 6.1 Coast that developed a hole in the roof canvas, not caused by it being caught in any mechanisms, so VW are replacing under warranty. It went in to the dealer on Tuesday who told me it was a 1 day job. Late Tuesday they called to say they were having issues. Late Wednesday they called and said it was fitted but the roof wouldn't close properly and the canvas was getting caught up in the scissor mechanism. Today they have called after speaking to VW tech support and tell me they think they've been sent the wrong canvas and it's the one for the Ocean (eg electric roof).

Does anyone know if the canvasses are different between the manual and electric roof?

I find it strange that they would be, but maybe something in how the electric roof works means it has to be different.

Yes. Beach and Coast differ to Ocean. Different height.
Off topic so I apologise. I was looking at external wraps. I was under the impression they were different sizes, so in an email to Darren at Pucer yesterday, I asked the same question. I.e. was the electric roof a different size to the manual. ( We have a 6.1 Coast) . He replied that he wasn't aware of any changes since 2004 ! I assume that any external wrap needs to specific for the manual roof? I am not confident to place an order after his reply.

They do differ or at least they do for some brands of topper. We have a second hand comfortz topper on our Beach which doesn't quite fill the gap at the rear of the roof, I suspect it was meant for an Ocean. As the gap is only a couple of inches it doesn't bother us. Oddly another poster said the same of their Beach Topper used on a later Ocean.

The hinges on the manual roof work a bit differently, slightly higher lift at the back I believe.Screenshot_20211021-160901_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
That's interesting actually. As you can see in my profile pic I recently bought a Confortz topper. I asked if there were different sizes and was told there wasn't. It does feel like it's a bit short on the front, as in there's excess material. Interesting!

Just for informaion:
Regarding the gap at the rear on my Pucer Screen, I queried this with Darren and his response is below.

These reason for the gap at the back .
1 there needs to be a bit of give so to alow the bungee to pull screen round and hold securely.
2 and most importantly My screens are 100% NONE POROUS this means nothing goes in or Out ie if there is any leak from gas or heater the gases would not escape. THIS IS WHY on 98% of pop up roofs the back section is POROUS to allow for this. So I don't cover it. I do not supply or encourage you to cover it ever.

Just for informaion:
Regarding the gap at the rear on my Pucer Screen, I queried this with Darren and his response is below.
Thanks GG. So you think that wraps are the same for both manual and electric variants?

Thanks GG. So you think that wraps are the same for both manual and electric variants?
Sorry @Stu@rt I can’t advise on that. What I would suggest if you’re getting a Pucer screen is that you advise Darren of the vehicle type (model/year) when ordering and if it doesn’t fit, return it for a full refund. My money is on it fitting.

Off topic so I apologise. I was looking at external wraps. I was under the impression they were different sizes, so in an email to Darren at Pucer yesterday, I asked the same question. I.e. was the electric roof a different size to the manual. ( We have a 6.1 Coast) . He replied that he wasn't aware of any changes since 2004 ! I assume that any external wrap needs to specific for the manual roof? I am not confident to place an order after his reply.
Hi @Stu@rt
Not a perfect fit but works well. Tapers a bit too much towards the back and bulges slightly at the front. Don't think either of these affects the performance much though it has made a big difference for us in temps down to below 5 in the last week. Here's some pics so hopefully you can see what I mean.

20211023_162501.jpg

20211023_162431.jpg

20211023_162420.jpg

20211023_162302.jpg

20211023_162100.jpg

Oh wow @Ferryman Thanks so much for taking the time to take the pics and post them. That is really kind of you. I guess what Darren should have said is that is will fit both, but there is a trade off which is fair enough when you compare the price against something like the Rainbow screens at twice the price. And in his defense, he did say measure it yourself and I will make it to measure. (Which I am not sure I would be brave enough to do !) Thanks very much indeed.

Interesting @Ferryman that you have fitted the screen inside the roof struts. This is what I’ve done also, however on Pucer’s website it shows some screens wrapped around the outside of the struts. Might ask Darren what his recommendation is.

D9A89FFB-E3A3-4EFB-9DE1-00ED5761A7EB.png

I just assumed that it should go under the struts don't know how it would work otherwise if there was free airflow between the canvas and the wrap since its not sealed top and bottom. I also have it pulled fairly tight.
Been finding it easy to put on as well using the opening front window. We roll it in 2 halves. My wife stands on the seats with it out the window I grab a half feed it down one side then repeat other side. Not finding it a hassle at all takes a few mins. Admittedly not done it in heavy rain as yet.

Just for informaion:
I would question his explanation. The gas used in the Cali (Campingaz) is heavier than air, so any leak would sink to the floor, not escape through a gap in the roof. That’s why the gas compartment has an escape hole in the bottom.

I would question his explanation. The gas used in the Cali (Campingaz) is heavier than air, so any leak would sink to the floor, not escape through a gap in the roof. That’s why the gas compartment has an escape hole in the bottom.
Agree.

I have a Pucer screen and it fits my Coast really nicely.

Back