Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof canvas should i treat it?

monster-mash

monster-mash

Vehicle
N/A
Yes the questions been asked before and answered with non, well that's the posts i have read anyway here's my experience and its simple - every time it rains a decent shower specially if its blowing on one side (the norm) the canvas darkens (water soaking) beads on the inside then runs down inside = wet duvet really really infuriating.
The canvas is around 4 years old now so letting it get wet a few times then it will be good is a no no its just not getting any better, i am now at the stage where i want to spray a canvas protector on after all that's what we used to do to the same canvas (certainly looks and feels the same) we had on our parents tents in the past before better lighter more water proof membranes were available.
Just bought a roof cover but i only want to use that in the cooler months and in the better months I want to use whats intended and have at least few hours shower protection so what protection are you using (if any) Fabsil?

Why on earth do VW not use a more modern high tech material such as gortex. It’s breathable, completely waterproof and a lot more robust.

Why on earth do VW not use a more modern high tech material such as gortex. It’s breathable, completely waterproof and a lot more robust.

Surprised VW dont offer Gore tex as an option and then charge £2250 for the privalidge!

Mine is in order books and really am surprised thats its not water proof. Chocolate kettle comes to mind!!

Seems what i have read, if its not guaranteed to be sunny overnight, a cover might be the only option as spraying something on the canvas could give VW a get out of jail card if ifthr canvas fails under the warranty. o_Oo_O:mad::Nailbiting

I waterproofed mine and it’s worked a treat. I only use cover in cold weather.

Yes the questions been asked before and answered with non, well that's the posts i have read anyway here's my experience and its simple - every time it rains a decent shower specially if its blowing on one side (the norm) the canvas darkens (water soaking) beads on the inside then runs down inside = wet duvet really really infuriating.
The canvas is around 4 years old now so letting it get wet a few times then it will be good is a no no its just not getting any better, i am now at the stage where i want to spray a canvas protector on after all that's what we used to do to the same canvas (certainly looks and feels the same) we had on our parents tents in the past before better lighter more water proof membranes were available.
Just bought a roof cover but i only want to use that in the cooler months and in the better months I want to use whats intended and have at least few hours shower protection so what protection are you using (if any) Fabsil?
Nothing I’m afraid. Now almost 4 yrs old. I have a Topper but have only used it a few times in Winter.

I am beyond caring, now i think i am going to give it a coating in Fabsil. What did you use Blueeyedboy

From new the canvas does not need any extra coating for the first few years .
In time any decent waterproofspray will do , but do give the canvas a light rinse with water and neutral soap to clean it first .

Last edited:

Well, from my experience, having been involved in gortex for the last 30 years, I really don't want to pay £2500 more for my Cali just to have the label.

Neither of my two cali's, with proper respect, have let in water so why the hell pay for the most premium, overpriced, over-hyped product on the market.

I no longer indulge myself in cutting edge mountaineering, which is where gortex came into it's own, but now, for a running jacket I pay £30 and for a gore fabrics running jacket I pay £90.

The manual very clearly says the canvas MUST NOT be treated with anything but water for cleaning, it must say that for a reason. I am leaving mine well alone

duplicated

Last edited:
The manual very clearly says the canvas MUST NOT be treated with anything but water for cleaning, it must say that for a reason. I am leaving mine well alone

Yes, that’s correct. At least the first 5-10 years. The total lifespan of a car is 10 years or 200.000 km, or that’s is what the car manufactures want it to be. But you can easily expand that by a more rigid service regime and prevented maintenance.

Once the roof canvas gets to a state where it's letting in water I don't see problem with trying a DIY waterproof fix, assuming it's out of warranty.
VW's instruction not to use any treatment other than water isn't much help if your canvas is leaking!
I'd assume the VW fix for a leaking canvas would be to replace it. So nothing lost if a DIY is tried first, if it fails then off to VW and handover your money for a new one.

My only problem with treating it is ensuring it is still porous at the end or else it will be condensation dripping everywhere. I would have thought a DWR spray of some description, such as what nikwax provides for a DWR refurbish, would suit.

However, as with teflon membranes such as goretex a degree of pressure is required to ensure that moisture can travel out and would it work with a great big tent fabric holding a lot of air.

My only problem with treating it is ensuring it is still porous at the end or else it will be condensation dripping everywhere. I would have thought a DWR spray of some description, such as what nikwax provides for a DWR refurbish, would suit.

However, as with teflon membranes such as goretex a degree of pressure is required to ensure that moisture can travel out and would it work with a great big tent fabric holding a lot of air.
Think we need a volunteer to run a trial!

All manufactures state a lot of things in their manuals but as we found out there not always true but then again we do not all live in the ideal environments where these measures may have been carried out, I will update you when its been thoroughly tested.

I just had my canvas bellows replaced with the new style fabric during my roof replacement. The new one looks more like gore-tex (or some other more modern fibre) and deffo isn't canvas like the old one. I assume that this is an advance in technology?

I just had my canvas bellows replaced with the new style fabric during my roof replacement. The new one looks more like gore-tex (or some other more modern fibre) and deffo isn't canvas like the old one. I assume that this is an advance in technology?

Can I ask how much the Bellow replacement cost?

Back