Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof comes down uneven

S

smikedenney

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
I have had problems with my roof going up and down since I bought my California 140 SE nearly 3 years ago.it has had new rams and pump fitted under warranty.
The roof now goes up ok stays up ok but is slightly uneven when coming down by approx 3-4 inches on drivers side then just before it comes into contact with main roof it corrects itself, is this normal , thanks

It’s not normal...but at the same time not abnormal neither :)
Lower the roof 10 cm or so, then raise it again fully, holding the button until the pump stop buzzing. Is it better then?
It’s important not to let go of the button to early...
And important to raise it again if you see it’s coming down uneven.

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have tried to raise up and down and as you suggested I leave pump to run on but has made no difference.
I've looked for errors on control panel rest control panel lubricated roof mechanism but makes no difference. Vw now saying it's OK.
Also if I'm not parked level it goes worse

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have tried to raise up and down and as you suggested I leave pump to run on but has made no difference.
I've looked for errors on control panel rest control panel lubricated roof mechanism but makes no difference. Vw now saying it's OK.
Also if I'm not parked level it goes worse
I found it's best for van to be level or nose pointing downhill . Is the auto raising working OK mine usually kicks in on the second night .

Yes the auto raising works ok.its just the coming down bit that is uneven.
Does anyone know what the VW tolerance is with the roof angle coming down.
My warranty is up on the 11th June.
VW said it's normal for it to be uneven

We had a similar problem with our roof closing unevenly ,it was also sagging on one side when roof raised. Repaired under warranty.

Have a video of the roof closing unevenly(as you have described) but can’t upload it. If you would like to see it . Message me with your email & then I could sent it to you.

From what VW commercial at Liverpool are saying that it is normal for this to occur.
Would like to know at which point it is not normal. I know some vans come down ok and some have a small amount of sag.just need to know what is acceptable and within VW tolerance.

Last edited:
We had a similar problem with our roof closing unevenly ,it was also sagging on one side when roof raised. Repaired under warranty.

Have a video of the roof closing unevenly(as you have described) but can’t upload it. If you would like to see it . Message me with your email & then I could sent it to you.
Do you know what the dealer did under warranty to solve your saggy roof problem? Please tell....

One thing we can all do as part of our maintenance regime is to clean and lubricate the sliders the scissors use at the front of the elevating section (do this with the roof raised a few inches.
That way you are making sure there is no additional friction affecting one side as it drops.

Use it more often, all the year round.:thumb

Even brand new Cali's suffer this since the start of the Cali T5 .
VW will try and fix it , i do say try ...

Mine was a faulty valve in one of the arms that had to be replaced......

.....the dealer went on to replace the roof lining after a fluid leak and then forgot to fit the mic. But the roof has been fine since.

N

We think they replaced the pump under warranty.

Do you know what the dealer did under warranty to solve your saggy roof problem? Please tell....

Back