Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof coming down slightly squint

Straad

Straad

Straad
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi, just had our first trip away for a few days visiting friends over in Ireland and had a great time. The Cali was a great vehicle to travel in and almost everything worked ok but the roof started coming down slightly squint. Once or twice it didn't come down flat on the passengers side with the roof about an inch high in the locked position. When I put the roof back up again there's a bit of click/clunk and then everything is straight again. Over the last few times it comes down a bit squint but the final "grab" seems to pull it straight. We don't have anything extra up in the roof and have the sliding door open. We have a Brandrup liner (which is great btw) but always have the front vent half open when we are putting the roof down. I checked the channels and found a wee bit of plastic that had obviously come off something but it didn't look like anything major.
So, clever folk, is this something that happens from time to time? Can I do anything about it or is this something that I talk to VW about?
Thanks,

By any chance have you got anything left on the shelf around the inside edge of the roof that shouldn't be there? Also check the mattress (even underneath!) - nothing left up there? I know its sounds obvious but just in case. I see from your details that your Cali was new in 2014. If your answer to the obvious above is nothing out of place I would, at the very least let VW know, better still let them have a look at it for you assuming you have some warranty left.

There are threads on the roof comming slightly down by itself and the roof correcting itself > search
If your roof is lowerd a bit on on side you need to make sure you first open/raise it fully before closing or you wil end up like you did one side open a bit othetr side closed

What did the plastic bit looked like you found? Picture?

IMG_0371.JPG
Here are 3 phoIMG_0371.JPG IMG_0373.JPG Here are 3 photies of the wee bit of plastic! Doesn't look like anything too important. Just tried again, and the roof seems to be coming down straight until the last couple of feet at the front and then it goes a bit sguint. It all sounds ok and eventually the last "grab" seems to straighten it out but I'm afraid of eventually damaging some of the roof mechanism. Tried putting a bit of 3 in 1 on the hinges but alas to no avail.

IMG_0372.JPG

View attachment 19789
Here are 3 phoView attachment 19789 View attachment 19791 Here are 3 photies of the wee bit of plastic! Doesn't look like anything too important. Just tried again, and the roof seems to be coming down straight until the last couple of feet at the front and then it goes a bit sguint. It all sounds ok and eventually the last "grab" seems to straighten it out but I'm afraid of eventually damaging some of the roof mechanism. Tried putting a bit of 3 in 1 on the hinges but alas to no avail.

View attachment 19790

If you still have some warranty left I would get to the dealer asap and get it checked. Once out of warranty it could be an expensive job! Mine went on both sides (one was fixed then the other went) and I had to have the mechanisms and roof bellows changed.

If you still have some warranty left I would get to the dealer asap and get it checked. Once out of warranty it could be an expensive job! Mine went on both sides (one was fixed then the other went) and I had to have the mechanisms and roof bellows changed.
Thanks to all. Warranty runs out on 14/4 so, as per your wise words, I have contacted my closest VW Commercial vehicle dealer (Aberdeen) and they are going to look at it next week. They were very keen that I bring the wee bit of plastic! Maybe that's all that holds the roof on?

Thanks to all. Warranty runs out on 14/4 so, as per your wise words, I have contacted my closest VW Commercial vehicle dealer (Aberdeen) and they are going to look at it next week. They were very keen that I bring the wee bit of plastic! Maybe that's all that holds the roof on?

Think that is very wise! When you get it back put it up and down quite a few times before the warranty runs out to make sure that it is fixed and that the other side doesn't go. Mine went pretty much straight away. they don't routinely do both sides but just the one that is lopsided. If there is anything else that you need fixing or looks like it might need fixing in the future make sure they deal with that at the same time too. I had a new control panel, door catches adjusted, the cooker lid hinge replaced, more plastic clips holding up the back cupboard shelves (loads missing) and the overhead locker above the rear seat adjusted - it had come off its track. Better now than after 14/4!!!!!

Yes, very wise! I had a look at this web site to see if I could spot the offending plastic component - No. 18? Anyway I'm sure the dealer will sort you out.
Wile you are being wise have you thought of also asking the dealer to look for corrosion under the roof panel seal? I'm assuming you are aware of this issue ongoing issue.........?

Yes, very wise! I had a look at this web site to see if I could spot the offending plastic component - No. 18? Anyway I'm sure the dealer will sort you out.
Wile you are being wise have you thought of also asking the dealer to look for corrosion under the roof panel seal? I'm assuming you are aware of this issue ongoing issue.........?
Thanks Jabberwocky, I was aware of the roof corrosion issue but it makes sense to ask them to check it whilst they've got the van.

Hi, just had our first trip away for a few days visiting friends over in Ireland and had a great time. The Cali was a great vehicle to travel in and almost everything worked ok but the roof started coming down slightly squint. Once or twice it didn't come down flat on the passengers side with the roof about an inch high in the locked position. When I put the roof back up again there's a bit of click/clunk and then everything is straight again. Over the last few times it comes down a bit squint but the final "grab" seems to pull it straight. We don't have anything extra up in the roof and have the sliding door open. We have a Brandrup liner (which is great btw) but always have the front vent half open when we are putting the roof down. I checked the channels and found a wee bit of plastic that had obviously come off something but it didn't look like anything major.
So, clever folk, is this something that happens from time to time? Can I do anything about it or is this something that I talk to VW about?
Thanks,
Which side did you find the piece of plastic? The side that closes first or the side that lags behind?

Which side did you find the piece of plastic? The side that closes first or the side that lags behind?
Ah, good question. It was on the side that lags behind. Or, thinking about it, maybe it's that the other side goes to fast? Or maybe I'm overthinking this.

As usual some pretty clever thinking by some members who Sherlock Holmes would happy to have in his team....:thumb
Could be that part is broken , open the roof and check it?

Wow! The problem solving skills displayed on this site are amazing. Jabberwocky, you are phenomenal! I think this maybe the answer. I will email the service department at VW in Aberdeen and seek their opinion before before going up next Wednesday and hopefully that will allow them to have the required part in stock if necessary. Thanks again everybody.

As @Jabberwocky said Part 18 in this Diagram
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...875/subcategory/875020/part_id/3708547/lang/e

Labelled as " Stop " so this could possibly be the problem. Fits on the Elevating Roof Section, just in front of the Rear Hinge mechanism.
Sorry WelshGas
As @Jabberwocky said Part 18 in this Diagram
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...875/subcategory/875020/part_id/3708547/lang/e

Labelled as " Stop " so this could possibly be the problem. Fits on the Elevating Roof Section, just in front of the Rear Hinge mechanism.
Sorry WelshGas, forgot to mention you specifically in my thanks. That was a very impressive piece of detective work!

These photos will show where your bit of plastic has come from. If this is the problem it should not be too difficult to fix.

Edit: Attach correct Photos!

Cali-roof-Item18_0005.JPG

Last edited: