• Total voters
snowy55

snowy55

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just posted this on the big roof corrosion thread

We had the raising section of the roof repainted about this time last year (2015) due to the paint bubbling underneath the seal so I thought I would have a look and see what was happening.

Slide off 2 sections of the rubber seal, 1 each side, and this is what I found,

20160123_091747_zps80l6kagx.jpg

20160123_091848_zpsrtroi7nx.jpg

This is what it looked like in 2014,

IMG_7938_zps08cd3340.jpg

IMG_7939_zpsc14427e8.jpg

Oh dear, very disappointed looks like the "new" painting procedure doesn't work.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I have just been out to check mine as the roof work was carried out by Shorade in March 2015, (our van is a 2011 and had foot rot on main roof and front panel) anyway, low and behold I also have bubbles under the rubber seal as well !

I suggest everyone goes and looks under their seal, mine was quite tough to remove as it felt like it had been glued but once I got the first bit off it did peel away to reveal the horror

So what now?

That's nice to hear in a perverse sort of way.

"So what now"? indeed.
Back to the stealer er sorry dealer I suppose.

We had the raising section of the roof repainted about this time last year (2015) due to the paint bubbling underneath the seal so I thought I would have a look and see what was happening.

Slide off 2 sections of the rubber seal, 1 each side, and this is what I found,

20160123_091747_zps80l6kagx.jpg

20160123_091848_zpsrtroi7nx.jpg

This is what it looked like in 2014,

IMG_7938_zps08cd3340.jpg

IMG_7939_zpsc14427e8.jpg

Oh dear, very disappointed looks like the "new" painting procedure doesn't work.
Take pictures of problem and vehicle to include reg number, also vin. Send to VWCS with full details. Copy in Dealer that carried out the Warranty work.

Was the repair carried out at one of the approved body shops that repair the front section? VW have been getting the elevating roof repaired at local body shops, some of these are not familiar with the paint process for aluminium. I notice from the photo that there is no protective tape fitted like Shorade fit after their repair.

Sorry to hear this.
It would have probably cost VW less to get you a new roof?
Hope they sort it soon for you...

Just checked mine which has gone as well :sad Ours was also done at Shorade last year, is this why they glued it down in the hope we would not notice?

not looking good

Looks worse than round 1

Very sad thing to hear , in fact almost unbeliveble ...

Sorry to hear this is happening on several vehicles already, not exactly a fix. Stick together guys and get on VWCS's back.

Was the repair carried out at one of the approved body shops that repair the front section? VW have been getting the elevating roof repaired at local body shops, some of these are not familiar with the paint process for aluminium. I notice from the photo that there is no protective tape fitted like Shorade fit after their repair.

The repair was carried out by the Lister Group Bodyshop at Coventry http://listers.co.uk/Bodyshop/Coventry (not one of the famous four) as suggested by VWCS who are approved by an impressive list of vehicle manufacturers including Audi, Seat, and VW. I'm sure the repair was carried out to VWs specification.

Please note that 2 other respondents to this thread with a second bout of corrosion were repaired by Shorade who are one of the "famous four"
Looks like the Shorade tape trick doesn't work!

The procedure at one repairers I spoke to was to glue the rubber seal down after the fix. .

Something about this just didn't seem right, how could we check for corrosion re-appearing just like above.

Just checked mine which has gone as well :sad Ours was also done at Shorade last year, is this why they glued it down in the hope we would not notice?

Does yours have the clear tape under the rubber seal?
Out of interest what colour is your Cali?

Thanks for the heads up on this, I have just been out to check mine as the roof work was carried out by Shorade in March 2015, (our van is a 2011 and had foot rot on main roof and front panel) anyway, low and behold I also have bubbles under the rubber seal as well !

I suggest everyone goes and looks under their seal, mine was quite tough to remove as it felt like it had been glued but once I got the first bit off it did peel away to reveal the horror

So what now?

Does yours have the clear tape under the rubber seal?
Out of interest what colour is your Cali?

I am appalled to hear that the issue of roof corrosion has resurrected itself. From experience of dealing with corrosion the first time round, it's important that we collate information on the vehicles affected right from the start because, previously, until we had furnished VW with a list of the registration numbers of the vehicles definitely known to be affected, they effectively denied that there was a roof corrosion problem.

If this turns out to be an ineffective repair to the elevating roof, not only will it affect the vehicles that have already been repaired, but also those still waiting to be repaired. It could also have an effect on the residual values of T5, which neither us nor VW want to see.

WelshGas’s suggestion is sound:

1. Look under the rubber for signs of corrosion. You may find that this has been stuck on, because some repair shops did this, which might make inspection impossible.

2. If corrosion is found, notify your VW dealer and get them to inspect your vehicle.

3. Contact Dominic Stephenson at VW customer services (who has been designated by VW Head Office as the point of contact within VWCS regarding Cali related issues) to inform him about your corrosion.

Give him details i.e. vehicle registration number, name of VW dealer, date of repair and supply photos if possible. It is really important that VWCS are made aware of this issue.

I shall talk to Forum staff members as to the best way to collate the information on behalf of the forum so that we can ensure that if there is an ongoing problem it gets addressed as soon as possible.

Mine has not been in for the first visit yet! Believe I am on the Shorade list - does not inspire confidence. How long one wonders before the front panel starts to bubble again?

Thank you SusiBus for the contact detail.

Had another look under the seal on the raising roof and this is an image from inside the roof. Plenty of bubbles to be seen where the rubber has been pulled down. The bubbling at the top of the image behind the lifting mechanism is condensation.

20160124_104608_zpsyl9dwcz0.jpg

Whilst I had the roof partially raised I gave the front fixed section of the roof a thorough inspection and found bubbling paint in four places.

Underneath the right and left black plastic covers over the pipes/wires/front drain holes.
To remove these covers look at this thread.http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads...of-front-drain-holes-and-for-corrosion.12701/

20160124_110444_zpsjxmamxjb.jpg

20160124_111303_zpsoayatr8u.jpg

Bubbling of the paint can also be seen on the front fixed section of the roof above the windscreen. Again on both the right and left hand sides. These are not visible with out the roof being raised.

A line of bubbles in this image

20160124_111315_zpssmxweyk9.jpg

A single bubble in this image.

20160124_112357_zpsdvrucnxg.jpg

This is on a Jan 2014 Cali made after the problem with front section was supposed to have been fixed!

Last edited:
The front panel bubbles look worse than on my cali WHICH VW REFUSED TO REPAIR hope VW read these posts.

John

Had another look under the seal on the raising roof and this is an image from inside the roof. Plenty of bubbles to be seen where the rubber has been pulled down. The bubbling at the top of the image behind the lifting mechanism is condensation.

20160124_104608_zpsyl9dwcz0.jpg

Whilst I had the roof partially raised I gave the front fixed section of the roof a thorough inspection and found bubbling paint in four places.

Underneath the right and left black plastic covers over the pipes/wires/front drain holes.
To remove these covers look at this thread.http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads...of-front-drain-holes-and-for-corrosion.12701/

20160124_110444_zpsjxmamxjb.jpg

20160124_111303_zpsoayatr8u.jpg

Bubbling of the paint can also be seen on the front fixed section of the roof above the windscreen. Again on both the right and left hand sides. These are not visible with out the roof being raised.

A line of bubbles in this image

20160124_111315_zpssmxweyk9.jpg

A single bubble in this image.

20160124_112357_zpsdvrucnxg.jpg

This is on a Jan 2014 Cali made after the problem with front section was supposed to have been fixed!
I thought, but could be wrong, that the fix was implemented mid 2014. Either way report it with all the information ASAP.

I will Check our van when i can as ours was the first that Shorade did. The guy did say the tape was their idea to give extra protection as it was only a "Paint Repair". I took the seal off in summer (1 year since being done) and cleaned around the edge, amazing how filthy it gets in 1 year. There was no bubbling then so hope it isn't back now.

My van is due to go to Heritage of Westbury on Monday so I was a bit concerned by reading the above. I phoned them today to ask about the repair. I was told the roof is removed, prepared and primed with zinc primer then refitted with new roof bellows and seals etc. I was reassured it would come back better than it was already! The chap I spoke to who was very helpful said they don't put clear tape on or stick down the roof seal. Hopefully all will be well!Apologies if have repeated any old stuff!