Who is experiencing roof corrosion after a repair

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Haven't checked yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes, the repairing body shop are responsible for any repaints, the trouble is my repairing body shop are saying they carried out the work in accordance with Vw approved methods and materials therefore it's Vw who should pay because either the materials Vw specify aren't correct or the roof now has corrosion embedded in it that blisters up again.
All the body shops are independent, so its going to get very messy.

So if this is true, then you can imagine these body shops will quickly STOP doing current repairs.

After all, why would they continue repairing roofs to the process defined by VW, at a normal £ margin, knowing that the VW defined process is a load of pants, and is going to hit them with a huge cost liability down the line?

I got the impression that VW gives them so much work they could not say no.

Spoke to one of the official repairers. In his opinionthe problem will not go away, regardless of the repair, he stated it's an inherent design issue.

Be interesting to see how the T6's are in a year or so and if somethings changed what it is.

If it is true that Vw are sticking to the 6 year warranty cut off and despite multiple repairs to a roof and recurrence of blistering the will do no more repairs, so after 6 years you pay for your own repairs!!!

This is hugely disappointing. Our Cali has been on the repair list for over a year, by the time we get it repaired it will be 4 years old, if VW (or whoever they are trying to palm this issue onto) will only support the corrosion warranty to 6 years, then I'll be seriously considering selling the Cali before this ridiculous charade becomes my cost.

I cannot believe this, the Cali costs well over £50k this is wholly unacceptable.

It would appear that VW have managed to build the rust issue that plagues all the original version camper vans into the 21st century model!! My mate has a 1972 bay window that he's had to have resprayed twice in the last 10 years of ownership, my choice to buy a modern Cali didn't factor in the same regular requirement to repair and repaint the bodywork!!!

This also reminds me.........we had a Renault Clio a few years ago, bought it brand new, but after 5 years of ownership the factory fitted sunroof failed and started leaking. The sunroof had to be completely replaced at a cost of £500 that Renault refused to pay, until I asked them to show me where in the owners handbook or maintenance schedule that any form of regular maintenance of the sunroof was required, which would have prevented this problem. Obviously this didn't exist and the sunroof wasn't a "serviceable item" Renault replaced the item at their cost.

A long story, but you get the idea!!

Rant over!!

Last edited:
There have not been any recent postings about the reoccurrence of roof corrosion on Californias that have been repaired. This either means that the first few reported cases were exceptions, or that people have not been checking for reoccurrence.

Any feedback would be welcome as I am going to be talking to VW again on the subject.

VWCS sent out an independent assessor to look at mine last week. He will be reporting back to Breeze and VWCS. Not sure what the report will say. Think they are trying to establish if its problem with the process/repair methodology or way the repair has been done.

This is hugely disappointing. Our Cali has been on the repair list for over a year, by the time we get it repaired it will be 4 years old, if VW (or whoever they are trying to palm this issue onto) will only support the corrosion warranty to 6 years, then I'll be seriously considering selling the Cali before this ridiculous charade becomes my cost.

I cannot believe this, the Cali costs well over £50k this is wholly unacceptable.

It would appear that VW have managed to build the rust issue that plagues all the original version camper vans into the 21st century model!! My mate has a 1972 bay window that he's had to have resprayed twice in the last 10 years of ownership, my choice to buy a modern Cali didn't factor in the same regular requirement to repair and repaint the bodywork!!!

This also reminds me.........we had a Renault Clio a few years ago, bought it brand new, but after 5 years of ownership the factory fitted sunroof failed and started leaking. The sunroof had to be completely replaced at a cost of £500 that Renault refused to pay, until I asked them to show me where in the owners handbook or maintenance schedule that any form of regular maintenance of the sunroof was required, which would have prevented this problem. Obviously this didn't exist and the sunroof wasn't a "serviceable item" Renault replaced the item at their cost.

A long story, but you get the idea!!

Rant over!!
It's not Rust - but Bi-Metalic Corrosion, and Land Rover never solved the problem in the Series 1 through to the Defender and they had 68 years to sort it, as all those vehicles had Aluminium Alloy panels fitted to a Steel chassis, and 70% of all vehicles made are still on the road.

Have we worked out what cover is provided on the repair? How long is it and who is it from? VW or the repair centre? We had our van done in December and we can't get a straight answer from VWCS.

Have we worked out what cover is provided on the repair? How long is it and who is it from? VW or the repair centre? We had our van done in December and we can't get a straight answer from VWCS.

No good asking on here for peoples opinions on what should or should not be, only Vw themslves can answer that question and get it in writting.

I guess I've got all this to look forward too. Took Betsy in for her first service today (March 2014 reg) and they found bubbling on the roof and front panel ... Cards in Exeter have taken pics and registered it with VW. Hopefully by the time VW get round to offering me a repair they'll have sorted it out (fat chance!)

Slightly different market, but the series 1 Lotus Elise has had similar issues. In this case the aluminium floor corrodes under rubber floor mats glued into place in the footwell. Lotus now replace the rubber mats with a breathable material to eliminate moisture build up under warranty even on vehicles up to 8 years old.

More recently there are signs of corrosion at the suspension mounting points due to bimetallic corrosion between the aluminium chassis and steel shims used in the suspension.

You may ask why do I mention this, but I thought it might be useful for Cali owners to see how customers have dealt with a similar issue with another manufacturer. There is plenty of info about it if you do a quick search on the web.
LOTUS ....... lots of trouble usually serious

Mine Cali went to Leics Vans a couple of weeks ago for inspection and now both parts have been approved for repair at Shorade. Whilst in for inspection VWCS paid for a full service to be carried out FOC for the inconvenience.
Rang Shorade today and was told the list is currently at 139 but nobody had told them my Cali had been repaired elsewhere so I got my original slot at number 62 back! which they reckon should be 2-3 months if I need the Cali loan vehicle or sooner if I have just have a loan car.

Last edited:
Mine went to Leics Vans a couple of weeks ago for inspection and now both parts have been approved for repair at Shorade. Whilst in for inspection VWCS paid for a full service to be carried out FOC for the inconvenience.
Rang Shorade today and was told the list is currently at 139 but nobody had told them my Cali had been repaired elsewhere so I got my original slot at number 62 back! which they reckon should be 2-3 months if I need the Cali loan vehicle or sooner if I have just have a loan car.
So will your roof be repaired with a different new improved repair or is it the same repair done correctly?

So will your roof be repaired with a different new improved repair or is it the same repair done correctly?

VWCS said there had been a change of "procedure" after my raising roof had been repaired but because it also now needs the front fixed section repairing, which can only be carried out by one of the Famous Four, it's having both sections repaired at the same time and place.
The fact that VW are coughing up again to have the raising roof repainted at a different body shop makes me think the original body shop did the job correctly to the specification available at the time but the specification has now changed.There was some talk about a zinc rich primer that only the Famous Four can use. Only time will tell.

Just checked elevating roof and yes the corrosion has returned appearing under the clear tape applied. I have sent email complete with photos to Benfield and VW customer services (really looking forward to talking to them again!). Benfield said "They have only been authorised to repaint the roof edges and not replace the elevating section."

Just checked elevating roof and yes the corrosion has returned appearing under the clear tape applied. I have sent email complete with photos to Benfield and VW customer services (really looking forward to talking to them again!). Benfield said "They have only been authorised to repaint the roof edges and not replace the elevating section."[/QUO

Mine too was a paint repair to the roof edges carried out by a VW bodyshop. Original rubber seal and bellows (which are only 12 months old) reused.
The whole process from date of reporting the problem to picking up my Cali took less than two months and the biggest delay was VW approving the repair!

Mine too was a paint repair to the roof edges carried out by a VW bodyshop. Original rubber seal and bellows ( which are only 12 months old) reused. The whole process from date of reporting the problem to picking up my Cali took less than two months and the biggest delay was VW approving the repair!

I was going to bond my two solar panels to the roof of my Cali today & thought I should first check to see if the corrosion has reoccurred.
I cleaned the seal & roof where it seals to & above the awning .

When I checked the seal I found at the N/S rear corner the metal in the seal is now protruding & has rusted. The only thing stopping it from touching & rubbing on the roof is the rubbing tape Shorade fitted.

Seal corner ns001.jpg

I also have dark patches under the rubbing tape, not sure what this is, could be the primer showing through where it has not been covered properly with top coat ?

Under os seal001.jpg

So looks like I shall not be bonding solar panels to my roof & will be contacting both Shorade & VWCS on Monday to get the seal replaced.

Fortunately my front panels seems to be OK at present.

Contacted Shorade via their website. Will wait to see what they say before contacting VWCS.

Last edited:
Sad to report that our Cali has got bubbling paint yet again on the raising section of the roof.
The roof was repainted early 2015, that failed.
Repainted again in July this year and bubbling yet again.

Also spotted this so well peeded of to the say least.

What an absolute disgrace.

We have contacted VW.

That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is just dreadful.

Snowy, so sorry to read this.

Terrible.

This is painful and frustrating. I've just been informed by VW that my 'slot' will be April 17 - i'll have waited 3 years for the roof warranty work when clearly others are on their 2nd or 3rd repair!!!!