Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
I think it will be rare for any 2012 Cali not to have an issue on the front section.Most of us have been there Read the old posts will give you an overview.

Gonna have a sit down at some point and read through them.
Just look at the size of this thread :(
It could really do with a sticky at the start, documenting what it's all about and steps to get it sorted. There is a lot to read here:headbang

Is that before your Calis 6th birthday, hopefully a yes.

Yes buddy.
First registration Sept 2012. Gives me until sept 2018.
Just been reading some of your woes. I genuinely thought this issue had been sorted with the fix. After reading the T6 thread I would have done the exact same as yourself.
FULL REFUND...!!!

I can't believe Volkswagen have carried on and not sorted this issue out. £50-60k on a vehicle which has these issue. No way. I would never sign up for that nonsense.

Yes buddy.
First registration Sept 2012. Gives me until sept 2018.
Just been reading some of your woes. I genuinely thought this issue had been sorted with the fix. After reading the T6 thread I would have done the exact same as yourself.
FULL REFUND...!!!

I can't believe Volkswagen have carried on and not sorted this issue out. £50-60k on a vehicle which has these issue. No way. I would never sign up for that nonsense.
As has been stated before. There was a fix for the Front Roof Spoiler, above the windscreen, introduced in 2014. Corrosion on the Elevating Section is ongoing.

Well found bubbling on the main roof section under the seal - less than a year since it was repaired. Looks like it will be going to the body shop again.

Well found bubbling on the main roof section under the seal - less than a year since it was repaired. Looks like it will be going to the body shop again.

From reading this and the T6 thread. I am massively disappointed in Volkswagen.
I was under the impression they had a fix and were prepared to sort it. Therefore I never really worried and decided when it did turn up I would be in touch.
But hearing the repair is a sticky plaster approach and the T6 still has the fault, that has left a bad feeling.

I won't be selling my current Cali, it will be fixed. But going forward I will not be investing in another California T6 or Volkswagen brand...!!!
Believe me, I stick to my guns. I had a beef with the ethics of ESSO 15 years ago and still haven't used one of their refill stations.

I've owned a lot of Volkswagen cars over the years. I imagine this current California will be my last from the marquee.

Volkswagen are taking the mickey out of each and every one of us...!!!

From reading this and the T6 thread. I am massively disappointed in Volkswagen.
I was under the impression they had a fix and were prepared to sort it. Therefore I never really worried and decided when it did turn up I would be in touch.
But hearing the repair is a sticky plaster approach and the T6 still has the fault, that has left a bad feeling.

I won't be selling my current Cali, it will be fixed. But going forward I will not be investing in another California T6 or Volkswagen brand...!!!
Believe me, I stick to my guns. I had a beef with the ethics of ESSO 15 years ago and still haven't used one of their refill stations.

I've owned a lot of Volkswagen cars over the years. I imagine this current California will be my last from the marquee.

Volkswagen are taking the mickey out of each and every one of us...!!!

Like you we also feel very disappointed with VW.
They are taking us for fools and are running all the way to the bank.

My first colour television was made by Phillips which broke down after 1year and 2weeks. Phillips would not repair it for me so I had to dispose of it. At that time it was the most expensive thing I had ever bought except cars and houses. Here we are over 40 years later and I have NEVER purchased another item made by Phillips, not even a light bulb.

Unlike you we have got rid of two Calis by rejecting them under consumer law and like you we will never buy another VW product.

The roof corrosion issue and the excessive oil consumption problem on the 180 are both being handled in the same shambolic, half-hearted, secretive way by VW treating their customers with disdain, their customers who pay their wages deserve better.

I don't expect never to have any problems with the things that I buy but it is the way the manufacturer deals with the problem that sets them apart and VW are coming over as a bunch of crooks.

180 bi turbo thing.
The old 2.5 had cylinder head scoring issues
Emissions scandal
Now California roof corrosion.

If they had sorted the issue on the T6 I could probably let it slide.
But instead they continue to churn out rubbish...!!!

We as consumers should not be putting up with it.
Had they released a petrol Cali I probably would have bought another.
Not now, no way...

Heard from Paul at a Trafford today. I've been referred to Swansway in Crewe. I think they are part of the extended service offer. Says he'll keep in touch. Impressed with support up to now. Hope it stays like that.

Damm, just spotted corrosion on the roof lip...again, I've had it repaired twice under warrenty, last time they removed the entire roof. Looks like I have a trip down to my local VW Service centre to get it looked at again :-(

New to the forum so a big hello!

We purchased our Cali October of last year. It's a 2009 SE and we're suffering the well documented corrosion issue.

Just wanted to get your wisdom and input on interactions I've had so far with VW Commercial. Initially been looked after by VW Van Centre Sheffield JCT600 - James, in Warranty. He asked me to come in, took photos and sent the package off to VW.

Few weeks pass and he calls to say the claim has been rejected (by VW centrally?) on the basis of it being a paint issue (covered by the extended 6 year warranty) rather than a corrosion issue (covered by a 12 year warranty). I'm naturally a little suspicious of how this conclusion is reached and ask for number to speak to Customer Care.

I've rang them today and they've given me the same line although I did press them on the following...

Where the massive question mark comes in for me is both James, and the person at customer care referred to the bubbling on the roof as 'corrosion'. Yet another part of VW is saying it's a paint defect. This seems to be very convenient and to a lay person, such as me, it is just that... corrosion. Therefore the 12 year corrosion warranty should come into effect.

So, has anyone else had this terminology issue? - given that ours is a slightly older, but not old, Cali it is pertinent because we can't access the 6 year paint warranty.

And where do I go next to escalate this?

Any help or advice would be great - thank you

As a soon to be a T6 owner I shall be endeavoring to make sure that VW, who seem to have miserably failed to cure roof corrosion problem, at least give T6 owners the peace of mind of the 6 year warranty. I see no reason why the 6 year warranty should not apply to all California’s owners, that is the least I would expect!

We purchased our Cali October of last year. It's a 2009 SE and we're suffering the well documented corrosion issue.

Just wanted to get your wisdom and input on interactions I've had so far with VW Commercial. Initially been looked after by VW Van Centre Sheffield JCT600 - James, in Warranty. He asked me to come in, took photos and sent the package off to VW.

Few weeks pass and he calls to say the claim has been rejected (by VW centrally?) on the basis of it being a paint issue (covered by the extended 6 year warranty) rather than a corrosion issue (covered by a 12 year warranty). I'm naturally a little suspicious of how this conclusion is reached and ask for number to speak to Customer Care.

I've rang them today and they've given me the same line although I did press them on the following...

Where the massive question mark comes in for me is both James, and the person at customer care referred to the bubbling on the roof as 'corrosion'. Yet another part of VW is saying it's a paint defect. This seems to be very convenient and to a lay person, such as me, it is just that... corrosion. Therefore the 12 year corrosion warranty should come into effect.

So, has anyone else had this terminology issue? - given that ours is a slightly older, but not old, Cali it is pertinent because we can't access the 6 year paint warranty.

Yes me all to no avail, sorry

Ok
What colour is your van.
This could be very important. If Volkswagen claim to use paint defect as an issue, surely it only affects a certain colour and code of paint.
Otherwise they admit all their paint is defective...???

What volu

It's comes across to me as the usual Volkswagen terminology to excuse themselves of any wrong doing.
I had corroded wheel bolts after 2.5 years. Took me so much time for them to admit fault and have them replaced at Volkswagens expense.
I think they only did it, because I was so persistent :headbang

It's comes across to me as the usual Volkswagen terminology to excuse themselves of any wrong doing.
I had corroded wheel bolts after 2.5 years. Took me so much time for them to admit fault and have them replaced at Volkswagens expense.
I think they only did it, because I was so persistent :headbang
The corrosion warranty is good for 6 years on T5

T5 (T6) roof corrosion...... like many of you out there - my California has this defect - again,
on both panels and is scheduled for its second (ineffective) repair in May.
Being aware of the problem I have always tried to keep the roof as clean as possible- paintwork, seals, mechanisms, drains, etc and for c.90% of the time the vehicle is in a cool, dry garage - maybe I should have wrapped it in cotton wool as well!
Whilst writing yet another letter of complaint to VWCV - I did wonder whether there is fact anyone on the forum who doesn't have this problem?

DO YOU HAVE A CORROSION FREE ROOF?

if so - post age and paint colour and any advice on anything you have done to 'maintain' the roof in good condition.

Prandles I'm really sorry to hear this. You would think it would be a fairly simple issue for a major manufacturer to rectify?

Which in turn would satisfy their customer base, although, all be it a tad inconvenienced by it all.
We (the customer) would be happy that they found a permanent resolution.

Good luck with the new thread, I fear tumbleweeds.

Last edited:
Hello Prandles - what repair did you have done first time?

Was it a simple respray or the full-monty complete replacement of the front panel?

DO YOU HAVE A CORROSION FREE ROOF?
2008 Raven blue no corrosion on front panel or main roof but I haven't pulled seal off to take a look.van lives outside and polished about three times a year.

Hello Prandles - what repair did you have done first time?

Was it a simple respray or the full-monty complete replacement of the front panel?
Hi Custardtart
The first 'repair' was in April 2013 - and was a respray of the front panel and replacement of the main roof. I assume this was prior to VWs modified repair process of replacing/covering the front panel.

Back