Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 78 15.1%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.7%

• Total voters
Hi Everyone.
Last week I ordered a California Beach, due for delivery early 2018. Can I assume that this corrosion issue is fixed and that I don't have to worry about it, or is it an ongoing problem, even with brand new vans.

Sonas

Hi Everyone.
Last week I ordered a California Beach, due for delivery early 2018. Can I assume that this corrosion issue is fixed and that I don't have to worry about it, or is it an ongoing problem, even with brand new vans.

Sonas
If you are referring to the Panel above the Windscreen - YES

If you are referring to the Elevating Roof section, beneath the Seal - Maybe Yes or Maybe No, time will tell.

Has anyone else on this forum experienced the same problems with 2017 T6 California's. My new beach will be here 2018, after reading these threads I am very concerned now that I am spending so much money on a product with a known fault that potentially has not been resolved. As with other members, I am absolutely shocked that such a top brand like VW, has been unable to completely kill this problem. I have dreamed most of my life about owning a VW camper, but with all this negativity going around I have to say that Im feeling a lot less enthusiastic. :-(

Has anyone else on this forum experienced the same problems with 2017 T6 California's. My new beach will be here 2018, after reading these threads I am very concerned now that I am spending so much money on a product with a known fault that potentially has not been resolved. As with other members, I am absolutely shocked that such a top brand like VW, has been unable to completely kill this problem. I have dreamed most of my life about owning a VW camper, but with all this negativity going around I have to say that Im feeling a lot less enthusiastic. :-(
Land Rover never solved the Bi-Metallic Corrosion on the Defender and its predecessors over 70 odd years, so why should VW be any different.

Fibreglass and plastic elevating roofs have their own problems as well. Unfortunately this is just a fact of life.

I note that no one has posted about surface corrosion on the exhaust manifold or exhaust hangers or even the brake disks. It's there believe me.

Yes, people have posted negative comments and this is, I believe is the biggest VW California Forum in the world, and how many owners have posted compared to how many Californias have been produced and are being enjoyed by non-forum members.

If you are getting stressed over this problem then I don't think the California is for you. Is it the vehicle you dream of or the lifestyle/freedom you dream of?
If it's the former then something else might suit you. If it's the later, then there is no better vehicle with all or any problems.

WelshGas as usual is spot on. The roof issue is cosmetic and not structural and don't believe the hype regarding other makes. All manufacturers models have faults but have to agree VW have been woeful in sorting out this issue.
That said I would not swap my Ocean for any other van.

If you are referring to the Panel above the Windscreen - YES

If you are referring to the Elevating Roof section, beneath the Seal - Maybe Yes or Maybe No, time will tell.

So what have they done to stop the front panel problem on new vans? It was supposedly sorted prior to our 2014 but obviously wasn't.

Supposedly a different alloy compound, improved primers and the isolation gasket between the two dissimilar metals.
More importantly what they APPEAR to have done is to withdrawn the three years extra paintwork warranty for T6's. Perhaps they haven't got that much confidence that they've cured the problem!

Hi Briwy,
Couple of photos of my front panel repair I thought might be of interest! Gives more of an insight as to what lurks beneath!!View attachment 23519 View attachment 23520 View attachment 23521 View attachment 23522 View attachment 23523 View attachment 23527 View attachment 23528 View attachment 23529 View attachment 23530

Calihunter, I notice you are in Surrey, I wondered where your van went for the repair? Mine is booked in for mid September and I think its going to Twickenham.... would be interested to find out if you are totally happy?
Thanks

I took my 2015 T5 to Breeze of Southampton yesterday to be transported to Marshalls of Newbury. They will be attending to some flaking paint above the number plate, but mainly to the corrosion under the seal of the pop-up roof. Derek, at Breeze, seemed to think that the repair WILL include the transparent tape under a new seal, as used in the production of recent T6s. I'll find out in about two weeks time. I'll keep you posted.

Hi,

Our T5 has recently had its roof corrosion repaired at Crewe. Our understanding is that this involved cutting out and then replacing the cab roof above the windscreen. The windscreen seal is now leaking and we have been quoted the cost of placing the windscreen (glass and seal apparently integral). We are convinced this is linked to the repair. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Hi,

Our T5 has recently had its roof corrosion repaired at Crewe. Our understanding is that this involved cutting out and then replacing the cab roof above the windscreen. The windscreen seal is now leaking and we have been quoted the cost of placing the windscreen (glass and seal apparently integral). We are convinced this is linked to the repair. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

If you look at my photo post at the top of the page, it shows the amount of suction clamps used on the windscreen when clamping the new front panel in place until the bonding sealant sets. I cant think of a better way to yank out a windscreen! Just saying!

Just logged on watchdog site. Spoke to a solicitor who said give em a chance to fix then go back to her if problem recurs....

Many thanks for the photos Calihunter they were very helpful. We've taken them to our local dealer and they are gong to look into it.

I took my 2015 T5 to Breeze of Southampton yesterday to be transported to Marshalls of Newbury. They will be attending to some flaking paint above the number plate, but mainly to the corrosion under the seal of the pop-up roof. Derek, at Breeze, seemed to think that the repair WILL include the transparent tape under a new seal, as used in the production of recent T6s. I'll find out in about two weeks time. I'll keep you posted.
FAO Anila, VWCV. Case Reference Number VN398711X

Instead of writing a separate account for this post I thought that I would just paste a copy of an email that I wrote this morning. One step forward and two steps back!,

Hi Nicky
I collected my California from Breeze, Southampton yesterday and I regret to say that, despite Tony's best efforts things did not go well. Please note the following points:
1) Despite your assurances from Marshalls on 14 June that the repair would not entail new bellows the first thing that I noticed was that the two-year old bellows, which were in A1 condition and with which I was more than happy, had in fact been replaced.
2) This started the alarm bells ringing and so, although I hadn't intended to check under the new seal at all, I lifted it at the edge and could see no sign of any barrier tape. On closer examination Tony and I both noted that there were tiny soft bubbles of air under the seal, similar to the ones that started the initial corrosion under the seal. It is clear to me that the paint has not been properly applied and that the corrosion, as has has happened on other T5s and T6, will almost certainly return.
3) Most worryingly there was clear evidence of significant new corrosion on the edge of the front roof panel (not the elevating roof) immediately in front of the new seal. Tony kindly took photographs of it. This was not visible when I dropped off the van seventeen days previously. I was amazed to see this as I had believed that this problem had been fixed by VW on post-14 models, but I was even more amazed that Marshalls did not pick up on it as it is only a centimetre away from the seal.
So, the questions I would like answered are
1) Why were the perfectly good bellows replaced?
2) Why is there no evidence of the barrier tape that has been used successfully both in the more recent factory builds and in some repairs?
3) What will happen when the bubbling under the new seal deteriorates?
4) Why has the corrosion on the front roof panel appeared when it was apparently fixed from 2014 onwards?
5) Why was that corrosion not picked up and acted upon, or at least reported, by Marshalls when it is so obvious and located right next to the corrosion they were attempting to fix, albeit on a separate panel?
6) Bearing in mind that, so far, I have travelled 200 miles at my own expense (once to Portsmouth and twice to Southampton), written countless emails, made many phone calls and been without my vehicle for seventeen days, what do Breeze and VW propose to do next?
Leighton Thomas

Sent from my iPad

I have just been to collect my Beach today which went for the replacement roof on 16th June.
I was given a caddi as a loan car so have now missed the summer and ended up paying £2k for a holiday to Spain.
The vehicle was sent back in July for poor painting and new bellows as these had holes in, I did not see the vehicle as when I called to chase up for my holiday I was informed it had been returned. ( by the way this is the 3rd set in 3 years all under warranty )
I refused to take away today as the new front head panel was completely mis aligned and was sealed around the edge with black bathroom mastic. Is this the actual repair method.
Can any body send me a picture of their repair please?

Just a word of warning. Every time I have new bellows the car is returned with a scratched facia and oil finger marks on the light grey head liner.
1 new head lining and 1 new front facia todate.

I have just been to collect my Beach today which went for the replacement roof on 16th June.
I was given a caddi as a loan car so have now missed the summer and ended up paying £2k for a holiday to Spain.
The vehicle was sent back in July for poor painting and new bellows as these had holes in, I did not see the vehicle as when I called to chase up for my holiday I was informed it had been returned. ( by the way this is the 3rd set in 3 years all under warranty )
I refused to take away today as the new front head panel was completely mis aligned and was sealed around the edge with black bathroom mastic. Is this the actual repair method.
Can any body send me a picture of their repair please?

Just a word of warning. Every time I have new bellows the car is returned with a scratched facia and oil finger marks on the light grey head liner.
1 new head lining and 1 new front facia todate.

So you have been without your Cali for over two months. Incredible! Which body shop is your dealer using?

So your have been without your Cali for over two months. Incredible! Which body shop is your dealer using?
I will find out and reply. It was originally booked in at Peterborough, but there was a last min change. Confusion with pick up. Only issue I was concerned about was after 12 month waiting list how can new garage fit in in 1 day.

Maybe this is known information but it was new to us after a discussion with Breeze this week.
VW consider the elevating roof as not a vehicle panel so it only has 6 year corrosion warranty
whilst the front panel has 10 years.

So we registered our claim with 3 days to spare for the elevating roof......now the wait starts again. :headbang

Maybe this is known information but it was new to us after a discussion with Breeze this week.
VW consider the elevating roof as not a vehicle panel so it only has 6 year corrosion warranty
whilst the front panel has 10 years.

So we registered our claim with 3 days to spare for the elevating roof......now the wait starts again. :headbang
I think that Breeze are talking about the "through corrosion" warranty, which I understand means a hole through a panel. VW do not put the roof or front panel into this category, so it only comes into the 3 year warranty... BUT they have extended this to six years for the T5. See the attached letter from VW to SusiBus...Having said all that It would be good if what Breeze say is true.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/attachments/vwcorlet-pdf.10667/

I think that Breeze are talking about the "through corrosion" warranty, which I understand means a hole through a panel. VW do not put the roof or front panel into this category, so it only comes into the 3 year warranty... BUT they have extended this to six years for the T5. See the attached letter from VW to SusiBus...Having said all that It would be good if what Breeze say is true.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/attachments/vwcorlet-pdf.10667/

:confused: I should hear back next week where my roof claim has been accepted.

Hi,

I have recently started to look into purchasing a California, either a late T5 or T6 and initially saw the problems with the 180 engines which we took into consideration.
Was about the bite the bullet and put a deposit down on a pre reg Cali Ocean when I came across posts about the bubble corrosion effecting lots of vehicles.
Looking into it a little more i found that there seems to be loads of vehicles having this issues but it doesn't seem to effect the demard for used and new Cali's..
Would be great to hear some current owners thoughts about
*would stop you purchasing again,
*does it effect the vehicle other than cosmetically
*do a lot of the t6's have the same issues and how are the dealerships handling the complaints

Thanks

Mine now exactly 1 year old. No issues. The roof issue is purely cosmetic and fixable and yes would definately buy again. My only regret is VW should sort the issue of the roof once and for all. No sign on mine and hopefully never will.
Pick a good dealer and bulid a relationship. Final comment - they are great machines.

Mine now exactly 1 year old. No issues. The roof issue is purely cosmetic and fixable and yes would definately buy again. My only regret is VW should sort the issue of the roof once and for all. No sign on mine and hopefully never will.
Pick a good dealer and bulid a relationship. Final comment - they are great machines.
Thanks so much for the quick reply

Back