Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Corrosion Repairs - Recommendation!

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

This is my first time posting. However, I wanted to share a great experience I had recently at Claridges in Southport.

I took my California to their body shop after spotting some roof corrosion on my California. From the moment I arrived at Claridges, the level of service I received was exceptional. They efficiently photographed the whole vehicle, they took the vehicle into the body shop and used secure scaffolding to extend the roof and inspect any areas of corrosion and then invited me onto the scaffold and pointed out the areas that they had found. At all times I was kept fully informed of what was happening and what would be carried out on my vehicle.

This also gave me the opportunity to glance around their workshop which was incredibly clean and professional - I could tell my California was going to be looked after.

At all times, the staff were pleasant and welcoming which gave me the confidence to feel that the work would be carried out to a high standard.

On collection, the vehicle was left in pristine condition (above and beyond what I had expected) and again, I was offered the opportunity to fully inspect what had been done.

I would recommend anyone to take their vehicle directly to Claridges in Southport - you will not be disappointed.

Hi,

This is my first time posting. However, I wanted to share a great experience I had recently at Claridges in Southport.

I took my California to their body shop after spotting some roof corrosion on my California. From the moment I arrived at Claridges, the level of service I received was exceptional. They efficiently photographed the whole vehicle, they took the vehicle into the body shop and used secure scaffolding to extend the roof and inspect any areas of corrosion and then invited me onto the scaffold and pointed out the areas that they had found. At all times I was kept fully informed of what was happening and what would be carried out on my vehicle.

This also gave me the opportunity to glance around their workshop which was incredibly clean and professional - I could tell my California was going to be looked after.

At all times, the staff were pleasant and welcoming which gave me the confidence to feel that the work would be carried out to a high standard.

On collection, the vehicle was left in pristine condition (above and beyond what I had expected) and again, I was offered the opportunity to fully inspect what had been done.

I would recommend anyone to take their vehicle directly to Claridges in Southport - you will not be disappointed.

Was this work carried out under warranty and paid for by VW?

Yes indeed it was.
Really impressed with "Claridges", and the assistance of the V.W van centre Preston.
Very disappointed with the lack of information from V.W. themselves.
Corrosion had originally been repaired approx two years, but failed.
I purchased the California new in 2010.
Just hope this repair is successful, it looks good but will it work who knows.
bear with me, computers are not my strong point

Good to hear some positive comments about repairers and their levels of service. Hope the repair reflects this too. :thumb

How log did it take from reporting the corrosion to being told to take it in for repair?
I took mine to the dealership that I purchased from for photos to be taken while in their workshop for a routine service (Leicester VW) that was Dec 16 but not heard anything since! .

How log did it take from reporting the corrosion to being told to take it in for repair?
I took mine to the dealership that I purchased from for photos to be taken while in their workshop for a routine service (Leicester VW) that was Dec 16 but not heard anything since! .

Anything up to 2 years waiting time for the repair to be carried out.

I'm very interested in your experiences with Leicester as I am about to report roof corrosion on my T6 to them. Was your corrosion on the front part of the van or just the elevating roof.

My experience of Leicester whilst purchasing was that they are OK but you need to do the chasing - you can't rely upon them. I do know that they have had a new service manager in the past few months so your case may have dropped into a gap.

Yes indeed it was.
Really impressed with "Claridges", and the assistance of the V.W van centre Preston.
Very disappointed with the lack of information from V.W. themselves.
Corrosion had originally been repaired approx two years, but failed.
I purchased the California new in 2010.
Just hope this repair is successful, it looks good but will it work who knows.
bear with me, computers are not my strong point

Great that you have had such a positive experience. Unfortunately the same seal / roof configuration that caused the problem in the first place has now been reinstated, the history of the success of these "repairs" has not been good, your first one failed in two years. Keep an eye on the paint below the seal particularly when the repair is reaching the end of the repair warranty.

Geoff - thanks for posting - our 2010 van, bought new from Preston, is due to go in to Claridges in November this year. It's nice to know they're a good lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the roof repairs under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very interested in your experiences with Leicester as I am about to report roof corrosion on my T6 to them. Was your corrosion on the front part of the van or just the elevating roof.

My experience of Leicester whilst purchasing was that they are OK but you need to do the chasing - you can't rely upon them. I do know that they have had a new service manager in the past few months so your case may have dropped into a gap.
Hi DM
Sorry for the late reply only just seen your post ,
Well not had good dealings with Leicester VW , I bought my 180 SE 2011 model just over 2 years ago , I had to involve VW Customer services to help me get many defects put right in the first few months of ownership so I'm not very hopeful on the roof corrosion, mine is on the front panel (a few blisters )

Hi.I have been reading about the roof corrosion on this Forum for the last year. I have a few questions to ask, has anybody got roof repair where one has had to pay for themselves .Has anybody got there roof powercoated. I read on the Forum that someone was looking into getting new roofs in fiberglass, but passed away before anything could be sorted, does anybody know if any of the ready made fiberglass roofs will fit as a replacment for the California roof, sorry for asking question about the roof issue, as i am trying to make up my mind to buy a California or order a Van and get it converted to a camper.