Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof corrosion

A

AJDR44

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Has anyone got experience of Carrs Indian queens regarding roof corrosion. We have a 2016 T6 and they now have authority from VW for the repairs and are looking to book our van into H and L motors . Thanks

Has anyone got experience of Carrs Indian queens regarding roof corrosion. We have a 2016 T6 and they now have authority from VW for the repairs and are looking to book our van into H and L motors . Thanks
Hi AJD44
no experience of either, I would ask how long the Repairer will warrant the work for, there are some on the forum that have had issues with previous repairs, only to be told by VW that it’s nothing to do with VW, go back to the repair Company o_O:eek:

i suggest opening up a dialogue with the repair Co. to see what they intend to do and what warranty they give on the work they carry out (I.e. lifetime)

can you advise where the corrosion is and possibly post a couple of photos of the issue for completeness and to assist others.

Does your van have the tape applied to the sides and rear edge of the roof (under the rubber seal)

Perfectos thank you for your advice. As far as I am aware the corrosion was treated at VW Parkway Leicestershire in March this year just before we became the second owners with tape.I noticed the corrosion in August I will attach the pictures I sent Carrs in Indian Queens

DDE6F620-1903-4F05-BCC4-26AE3DBEE369.jpeg

0419277F-5803-4CBF-85FE-544E95F0DC6E.jpeg

F1EBA2AE-71E1-4D3B-BC74-F578DAF5E652.jpeg

Perfectos thank you for your advice. As far as I am aware the corrosion was treated at VW Parkway Leicestershire in March this year just before we became the second owners with tape.I noticed the corrosion in August I will attach the pictures I sent Carrs in Indian Queens

View attachment 86465

View attachment 86466

View attachment 86467
Hi AJDR44,

It looks like the seal was not replaced when Parkway “ treated the corrosion“ the seal has caused that issue which is classic bi metal corrosion caused by the roof seal failing. (The seal is clearly not only 7 month old )
After 2017 tape was applied to the roof edge at the factory, which is supposed to stop the corrosion.
therefore 2016 vans were not covered by this factory measure and relied on dealer to carry out remedial measures during routine servicing or warranty work, even now dealers are advised to carry out localised repairs to corrosion and fit the tape ( Bodge it up and cover it up) and replace the roof seal.
unfortunately if the faulty seal is not replaced, the result is what is evident on your roof I,e, the corrosion comes back worse than before due to the Oxidized metal particles migrating into the aluminium roof.
if you pull the seal off in the area of the corrosion you will undoubtedly see rust in The recess of the rubber seal (that is what causes the issue)

I would suggest you take lots of photos of the failed seal (rust) for your records and fully record the position(s) of the corrosion above and below the rubber seal (in case of future dispute

it’s important to understand what the repair co. Intend to do to repair and more importantly prevent the issue from returning ?

get the repair company to guarantee (in writing) that the repair will last. For example, Insurers make repair companies guarantee work for a minimum of 5 years, most insures make repair co’s guarantee their work for the life of the vehicle (whilts the vehicle is owned by the current owner) Sadly VW will allow one and only one “fix“ before they wash their hands of the issue, leaving the customer to argue who is to fix the repeat issue. This is why I highlight the situation to you. Enter into discussion with your eyes wide open and negotiate a warranty as would normally be expected for any repair work (But obviously VW do not take this view themselves)

out of interest Did Parkway disclose to you prior to you buying the vehicle that it had roof corrosion And that they had carried out repairs to rectify it ?

is that paint on the front lip of the seal ? Last photo where the seal meets the cap (left hand lower corner in your picture)

edit : have you asked Parkway for a large dollop of good will, as they knowingly sold you a van with a known and widely published issue and failed to prevent the issue from reoccurring Within a very short space of time After sale of the van !
I bet the sales price did not reflect the repairs to the known issue with your van ?
Edit: to potentially assist others : I have a T6 with factory applied tape, I have just had my third roof seal fitted in 3.5 years, the first (factory fitted seal) showed signs of failing with 1 year from new ! My best advice to anyone would be to check the roof seal fully twice a year by removing it in section, cleaning and inspecting the seal for any signs of rust, particularly in the rubber seal recess, and get it changed ASAP if any rust (no matter how small) is apparent in the seal. Check the front section where no tape is applied also as my last seal failed there, particularly as VW do not fit tape to the front edge of the roof !

Last edited:
Hi thanks for all that invaluable information. It it possible to have a photo of how the seal should look on the Cali. We are first time owners. PS I am going into hospital tomorrow for a new hip so it will be a while before I can do all of this.

Hi AJDR44,

It looks like the seal was not replaced when Parkway “ treated the corrosion“ the seal has caused that issue which is classic bi metal corrosion caused by the roof seal failing. (The seal is clearly not only 7 month old )
After 2017 tape was applied to the roof edge at the factory, which is supposed to stop the corrosion.
therefore 2016 vans were not covered by this factory measure and relied on dealer to carry out remedial measures during routine servicing or warranty work, even now dealers are advised to carry out localised repairs to corrosion and fit the tape ( Bodge it up and cover it up) and replace the roof seal.
unfortunately if the faulty seal is not replaced, the result is what is evident on your roof I,e, the corrosion comes back worse than before due to the Oxidized metal particles migrating into the aluminium roof.
if you pull the seal off in the area of the corrosion you will undoubtedly see rust in The recess of the rubber seal (that is what causes the issue)

I would suggest you take lots of photos of the failed seal (rust) for your records and fully record the position(s) of the corrosion above and below the rubber seal (in case of future dispute

it’s important to understand what the repair co. Intend to do to repair and more importantly prevent the issue from returning ?

get the repair company to guarantee (in writing) that the repair will last. For example, Insurers make repair companies guarantee work for a minimum of 5 years, most insures make repair co’s guarantee their work for the life of the vehicle (whilts the vehicle is owned by the current owner) Sadly VW will allow one and only one “fix“ before they wash their hands of the issue, leaving the customer to argue who is to fix the repeat issue. This is why I highlight the situation to you. Enter into discussion with your eyes wide open and negotiate a warranty as would normally be expected for any repair work (But obviously VW do not take this view themselves)

out of interest Did Parkway disclose to you prior to you buying the vehicle that it had roof corrosion And that they had carried out repairs to rectify it ?

is that paint on the front lip of the seal ? Last photo where the seal meets the cap (left hand lower corner in your picture)

edit : have you asked Parkway for a large dollop of good will, as they knowingly sold you a van with a known and widely published issue and failed to prevent the issue from reoccurring Within a very short space of time After sale of the van !
I bet the sales price did not reflect the repairs to the known issue with your van ?
Edit: to potentially assist others : I have a T6 with factory applied tape, I have just had my third roof seal fitted in 3.5 years, the first (factory fitted seal) showed signs of failing with 1 year from new ! My best advice to anyone would be to check the roof seal fully twice a year by removing it in section, cleaning and inspecting the seal for any signs of rust, particularly in the rubber seal recess, and get it changed ASAP if any rust (no matter how small) is apparent in the seal. Check the front section where no tape is applied also as my last seal failed there, particularly as VW do not fit tape to the front edge of the roof !
I've checked mine annually for the past 6 yrs, or so, and it is pristine BUT I do think part of the problem is up and down movement of the seal on the roof edge. I clean the seal annually, clean the seal contact area on the roof and apply polish to that area to minimise the chance of the seal sticking and being pulled down when opening the roof and pushed up when closing. The vehicle is also kept outside 24/7 all year round.

I've checked mine annually for the past 6 yrs, or so, and it is pristine BUT I do think part of the problem is up and down movement of the seal on the roof edge. I clean the seal annually, clean the seal contact area on the roof and apply polish to that area to minimise the chance of the seal sticking and being pulled down when opening the roof and pushed up when closing. The vehicle is also kept outside 24/7 all year round.
i do the same except I check every six months, the two sesls I have had fail were in totally different areas
#1 rear corner
#2 front leading edge

I treat the rubber with Gummi Pflege to stop and potential for sticking

I just think the seal design and quality is very very poor and holds water in the rubber recess all year round so any minor imperfections lead to the reinforcement rusting

Hi thanks for all that invaluable information. It it possible to have a photo of how the seal should look on the Cali. We are first time owners. PS I am going into hospital tomorrow for a new hip so it will be a while before I can do all of this.
I’ll post some info on how the roof seal should not look (rust in the rubber recess) see post #364

post #397

below:
photo#1 first failure rear corner of roof
photo #2 second failure front edge of roof

1636453462857.jpeg
1636453865915.jpeg

Last edited:
out of interest is the seal easy to remove with out damaging the protective film tape?

out of interest is the seal easy to remove with out damaging the protective film tape?
Not too difficult. Not had a problem with the tape.

The seal simply pulls off leaving the tape intact, if you remove it in small 60cm sections at a time, clean the seal & roof (apply polish to the roof edge) dry the seal and roof edge with paper towel / soft cloth etc (particularly in the seal groove) check the seal for damage / rust and refit, repeat and so on, it makes it very easy to do.

wonder if its worth applying acf -50 as well
There was a post where someone asked that question of the manufacturer, I think the response was no (no reason given) with a counter suggestion of using silicone, with a caution that silicone can make rubber swell slightly

There was a post where someone asked that question of the manufacturer, I think the response was no (no reason given) with a counter suggestion of using silicone, with a caution that silicone can make rubber swell slightly
If silicone makes the rubber seal swell slightly, will that help stop water ingress, or hinder evaporation of trapped water? Both l guess.
You can spray silicone on rubber seals to stop them squeaking, which I guess allows them to move more freely. Therefore the rubber seal spray grease silicone will possible move more. Is that likely to be detrimental or not?

If silicone makes the rubber seal swell slightly, will that help stop water ingress, or hinder evaporation of trapped water? Both l guess.
You can spray silicone on rubber seals to stop them squeaking, which I guess allows them to move more freely. Therefore the rubber seal spray grease silicone will possible move more. Is that likely to be detrimental or not?
I have no idea Sorry .

silicone will resist water, but it does need to be re applied fairly regularl, as far as how much it makes rubber swell I would imagine there are a whole host of variables

When we had our roof corrosion repaired I was told that they now stick the new seal in place where the old seal was loose and you could pull it out to see the corrosion. Ours is now over 3 years since it has been done and I check to see if any corrosion has crept up above the real and there doesn’t seem to be anything at all showing.
It’s probably a good idea to completely stick the new seal as it stops any water ingress which is one of the main causes of galvanic corrosion. I’m not sure if they have done away with steel in the seal and could be easily checked with a magnet.

Just been out to my van to give it a clean

guess what I found ?

below are photos of a Brand new seal fitted following the second failure of a roof seal. This seal was fitted two weeks ago !

you can clearly see the rust on the tape (tape applied by the dealer, at my request following a failure of the previous seal along the front edge) fortunately the rust has wiped off and the dealer had been informed of the failure Of the new part !

This is an absolute disgrace by VW, this is a new part supplied to the dealer by VW which has not lasted more than a couple of weeks ! Go check your seals

3D0BC582-0664-4709-9F8E-F94652294FE7.jpeg

73D917DA-04BB-404D-BD56-2EEDE193E0A5.jpeg

CC399950-28E8-4D01-9256-B518F216E6D2.jpeg

Thanks for that. We have been contacted by Carrs Indian Queens Cornwall today and they are planning to send our Ocean to H and L Motors Twickenham. Does anyone have any experience of this dealer. We will be taking Perfectos advice and will contact them directly thanks

Thanks for that. We have been contacted by Carrs Indian Queens Cornwall today and they are planning to send our Ocean to H and L Motors Twickenham. Does anyone have any experience of this dealer. We will be taking Perfectos advice and will contact them directly thanks
Hi AJDR44. Yes - my 2019 Beach roof issue is currently being dealt with at H&L Motors. Coincidentally I have a parallel post on the forum - started in June (when I thought would be easily sorted and reactivated recently as it's still ongoing) - titled:
Pop-up roof-well paint peeling
or this link might get you there:
I'm nor sure whether my problem is exactly the same as yours and/or the historic and classic VW roof 'corrosion' issue due to rust, bi-metallic materials, etc. Because I thought this VW production problem was solved before they made my 2019 Beach (I even asked dealership before I bought it). I think my issue might be more to do with an alignment problem that somehow means that the front seal is either moving (sliding or vibrating) and/or being pulled-down/locked too tightly. Eitherway, the result is that the ensuing friction means that the top-coat gets rubbed-off. H&L Motors have had 3 attempts with no joy. The dealership administering the warranty claim say they can't really do much more (probably not helped by fact I didn't buy from them - but they are closest). So H&L Motors are trying to find someone within VW warranty dept that can help and I've got someone at VW Customer Services who is looking to see if can find anyone in their technical dept who has experience of this. I should heat next week. I can discuss more over the phone if you want - as will take-up too much space on your forum!. Best text me first to check I'm around (or not driving).
Interestingly, I never thought to ask about what warranty comes with the repair, and whether that's a VW warranty or only from the repairer, H& L Motors. I don't really want VW washing their hands of it because if H&L can show that it's a VW production/alignment fault - and all they're doing is effectively putting "lipstick on a pig" - then I'm left high & dry when they understandably say they've done all they can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi AJDR44. Yes - my 2019 Beach roof issue is currently being dealt with at H&L Motors. Coincidentally I have a parallel post on the forum - started in June (when I thought would be easily sorted and reactivated recently as it's still ongoing) - titled:
Pop-up roof-well paint peeling
or this link might get you there:
I'm nor sure whether my problem is exactly the same as yours and/or the historic and classic VW roof 'corrosion' issue due to rust, bi-metallic materials, etc. Because I thought this VW production problem was solved before they made my 2019 Beach (I even asked dealership before I bought it). I think my issue might be more to do with an alignment problem that somehow means that the front seal is either moving (sliding or vibrating) and/or being pulled-down/locked too tightly. Eitherway, the result is that the ensuing friction means that the top-coat gets rubbed-off. H&L Motors have had 3 attempts with no joy. The dealership administering the warranty claim say they can't really do much more (probably not helped by fact I didn't buy from them - but they are closest). So H&L Motors are trying to find someone within VW warranty dept that can help and I've got someone at VW Customer Services who is looking to see if can find anyone in their technical dept who has experience of this. I should heat next week. I can discuss more over the phone if you want - as will take-up too much space on your forum! 07941 515127. Best text me first to check I'm around (or not driving).
Interestingly, I never thought to ask about what warranty comes with the repair, and whether that's a VW warranty or only from the repairer, H& L Motors. I don't really want VW washing their hands of it because if H&L can show that it's a VW production/alignment fault - and all they're doing is effectively putting "lipstick on a pig" - then I'm left high & dry when they understandably say they've done all they can.
Wouldn’t recommend sharing your phone number online.

Yup - thanks, a bit hasty but trying to be helpful. Moderator has now removed. So AJDR44, if you want to chat, please send email to moderator and say I've given permission to give you my phone number (or they can send me an email to verify). Good luck

I'm probably being very naive, but is it a major problem sharing your telephone number on a forum such as this. After all, people who are advertising their vans for sale, often have their telephone number, registration number, perhaps also sometimes their postcode and name, all in an online advert on this forum.
I feel it's a bit like stopping children climbing trees. Yes there may be some kind of risk, but I feel we are becoming obsessed with trying to eradicate all risk from their lives.

Carrs are definitely better than the next worst option of the dreaded Snows in Plymouth, but I can't say I rate them much!

Had mine sorted out by contacting Marshalls in Bridgwater direct - they have their own VW approved workshop that does this (in Newbury), and it makes it quicker if the dealer + bodyshop are the same company, otherwise you can be waiting for all kinds of bills/authorisation for the 3-way transaction between two dealers VW.

Thanks I will show this to my husband who is just out of hospital following an operation

Bump,
lots of new owners maybe not aware of the Roof seal issue (all Californias use the same roof seal since production of the T5 commenced right upto the T6.1 being produced today).

Back