Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Damage

4Corners

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0441.JPG
Good morning everyone
Thanks for all the tips experience and advice I've quietly absorbed from the forum over the last few yrs, from fuse locating to insurers..
I'm in Split Croatia with the beloved 2005 Cali, the wife and twin girls. Have suffered roof damage by driving through a 2.1m height restriction, forgetting that there were cycles on the rack that made us more than 1.995m high. We are some 1200 miles to get home before school starts , I'd appreciate any suggests anyone might have for securing roof for the trip. We weren't planning on sleeping upstairs any more, so it's more about peace of mind as we head back north. Maybe someone else has been this lucky before me?
Thanks everyone!

View attachment 24818 View attachment 24819 View attachment 24820
Good morning everyone
Thanks for all the tips experience and advice I've quietly absorbed from the forum over the last few yrs, from fuse locating to insurers..
I'm in Split Croatia with the beloved 2005 Cali, the wife and twin girls. Have suffered roof damage by driving through a 2.1m height restriction, forgetting that there were cycles on the rack that made us more than 1.995m high. We are some 1200 miles to get home before school starts , I'd appreciate any suggests anyone might have for securing roof for the trip. We weren't planning on sleeping upstairs any more, so it's more about peace of mind as we head back north. Maybe someone else has been this lucky before me?
Thanks everyone!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
I presume the damage is all at the rear and that the front of the Elevating roof section is flush?
If that is the case you should have no problem.
Do you have the Awning rail attachments that slot in for an External Topper?
You could use those on each side with rope across the roof for peace of mind, or Load Straps with hooks on from rear wheel arch over roof to rear wheel arch, but they would have to be removed to open side door.

Nightmare.
You should be fine getting back as the front will be secure if all the buckles and clasps are in place.
For peace of mind, you could look out for a racket strap with hooks as Welshgas has said, over the top.
You could look at some strapping inside, but I would leave it and not attempt to raise until back home.

If the roof is secured, I would get some gaffa tape and heavy-duty plastic, and seal the gap. You might catch heavy rain on the way back. So need for damage control.

Sorry to hear of your problem.
I presume the damage is all at the rear and that the front of the Elevating roof section is flush?
If that is the case you should have no problem.
Do you have the Awning rail attachments that slot in for an External Topper?
You could use those on each side with rope across the roof for peace of mind, or Load Straps with hooks on from rear wheel arch over roof to rear wheel arch, but they would have to be removed to open side door.
Damage is all rear, so comforted. Don't have the external topper, though...

I
Nightmare.
You should be fine getting back as the front will be secure if all the buckles and clasps are in place.
For peace of mind, you could look out for a racket strap with hooks as Welshgas has said, over the top.
You could look at some strapping inside, but I would leave it and not attempt to raise until back home.
Reckon these straps should be quite easy to find here if I go this way, thanks

G
If the roof is secured, I would get some gaffa tape and heavy-duty plastic, and seal the gap. You might catch heavy rain on the way back. So need for damage control.
Good point!!

Are you sure you didn't lower the roof with the bike handle bars under the rear edge?

I would put the roof back up and push the crease back down as much as you can, won't make it any worse.
Looks that way, doesn't it! Very clean damage. Not so keen on raising the roof before home, though...

Looks that way, doesn't it! Very clean damage. Not so keen on raising the roof before home, though...

I would do the same as @Loz . Roof up a bit, bike free, and bend the roof as much you can in place (it's aluminium). If tight good, if not, gaffa+plastic …

Ohh, I really feel sorry for you. There is another one to the checklist. And another argument for selecting the bike rack on the knop. We are only two, so we never use the bike holder closest to the Cali, so not any problem. But must admit I never thought about it as an issue …

What a shame :sad

As Loz says, it's a soft roof. Push it down as much as possible, plaster it all over to keep watertight, if you have a tie-down strap, fine: belt and braces. If not and is secure at the front drive home, it should be ok.

Looking at the pictures you may have damaged the rear nearside scissors so I don't think I would raise the roof. The rear of the roof is not locked down only the front so if the control panel display shows it locked you should in theory be OK but as the rear is not flush to the roof sides it could get lifted with wind pressure when travelling so I would try to secure it.

I'm no accident investigator, but the handle bar must have been under the roof rim before the encounter with the low ceiling (or whatever it was) since the impact with the higher part of the bar would have moved the bike away from the roof. Unless of course you were reversing.

I'm no accident investigator, but the handle bar must have been under the roof rim before the encounter with the low ceiling (or whatever it was) since the impact with the higher part of the bar would have moved the bike away from the roof. Unless of course you were reversing.
If the bikes were firmly fixed to the rack, with the handlebars slanted down towards the roof, then I reckon the downward force on the handlebar could push the bike down and forward.
I do agree that it would be wise not to try and raise the roof.

If the bikes were firmly fixed to the rack, with the handlebars slanted down towards the roof, then I reckon the downward force on the handlebar could push the bike down and forward.
I do agree that it would be wise not to try and raise the roof.

But if that were the case, the bar would have pushed the roof inwards as it also would if the op was reversing.

Very sorry to hear, luckily the Cali forum has its own team of Miss Marlpes to tell you how you dit it !!!

I would imagine the roof will be safe to drive as long as you do not lift it, a ratchet strap across the roof may give you extra piece of mind.

On the bright side you will get a whole new roof just make sure it is repaired by Vw only.

I

Very sorry to hear, luckily the Cali forum has its own team of Miss Marlpes to tell you how you dit it !!!

I would imagine the roof will be safe to drive as long as you do not lift it, a ratchet strap across the roof may give you extra piece of mind.

On the bright side you will get a whole new roof just make sure it is repaired by Vw only.

I

We all sympathise with the op. The 'team of Miss Marples' I guess are trying to establish what went wrong in case it's helpful to the unfortunate op and others. That's what forums are all about. Isn't it?

Either way the poor bloke has got a bent roof doing one of those things where all of use can say "There for the grace .........".If it's locked at the front my suggestion is not to move it, just get home, if possible with a tie down strap in place.

On behalf of Miss and Granny Marples everywhere, bon chance ....... Please get home safe and let us know how you got on. Not a lot I can do but wish you luck.

I notice you was quick to point out this was caused by the wife :Grin

Will keep you all updated for sure. Thanks for all your suggests. As for the new roof, it was replaced just last year under the VW recall for the corrosion issue. We start home at the weekend..

Have you got a rubber mallet with you or borrow one from a fellow camper? If so you could get that roof almost back to its original shape. Once you've knocked it back down you would probably be fine to use the roof. Just raise it up with care.

....if i see the picture and would not know what the OP had done , my money would also be on the cause of putting the bikes on when the roof was up and then lowering the roof catching the bikes handle bar.

Would be very suprised this had happend due hitting a 2m barrier , but if the OP says so , so it be.

As others have said, I really can't see how this happened by going under a height restriction, it makes no sense to me as surely it would just push the bikes?

View attachment 24818 View attachment 24819 View attachment 24820
Good morning everyone
Thanks everyone!

Not sure why some are questioning how it was done, as if that will make a difference!
I would suggest the same as some and press it back down. I'd bet with a gentle persuasion it will go almost back to normal. Is there a dent devil type of person that would be able to assist?

Not sure why some are questioning how it was done, as if that will make a difference!

Understanding, what actually caused it so the OP and others don't make the same mistake.

The OP could get it repaired and make the very same mistake on the very next trip.